User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two different types of topps triple header balls?

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two different types of topps triple header balls?

I've heard there are 1991 and 1992 versions ... is this true, or are people just not listing properly? Here is a refresher as to what one looks like:
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe they are dated 1992 on the bottom of the box. Here is a sell sheet that you may want btw. If you look in the bottom right corner it does give a code that ends w/ -91. So maybe that's where the 1991 comes from?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Selling-sheet-...414?nav=SEARCH
    [MENTION=2659]tpeichel[/MENTION] or [MENTION=4035]DaClyde[/MENTION] ever see a box marked 1991 ?

Ryan
    Last edited by RStadlerASU22; 02-18-2016 at 11:36 PM.
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RStadlerASU22 View Post
    Believe they are dated 1992 on the bottom of the box. Here is a sell sheet that you may want btw. If you look in the bottom right corner it does give a code that ends w/ -91. So maybe that's where the 1991 comes from?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Selling-sheet-1991-Topps-TRIPLE-HEADER-BASEBALL-CANDY-CONTAINERS-/252007447414?nav=SEARCH
    @tpeichel or @DaClyde ever see a box marked 1991 ?

Ryan
    I've always thought it was just the one year.
    Thanks to MOFNY for finally getting me motivated to start a website:

www.supercollectorcatalog.com

Here is a link to the cameo section:

https://www.supercollectorcatalog.com/cameo-index.html

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one year. I had to figure this out long ago. All the major catalogs list the Cubs ball with Sandberg, George Bell, and Grace, but Grace isn't on it, rather it is Andre Dawson. Plus two of the balls are short printed, Cubs is one of them. I thought maybe there were two years too, but after extensive research determined only one. Wonder if [MENTION=10405]Hawk8[/MENTION] knows about this issue?
    Last edited by gracecollector; 02-19-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I asked mainly is because a guy I'm buying several cards from ... he had two of them, and I wondered why. I went ahead and asked him.
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only one set ever came out that I am aware of. However, player placement variations do exist. I purchased a box worth of Astros to verify this. Your player could be on three different locations on the ball: left panel, right panel, or in the middle. Not sure if this is the case for all teams. However, it was for the Astros.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by predatorkj View Post
    Only one set ever came out that I am aware of. However, player placement variations do exist. I purchased a box worth of Astros to verify this. Your player could be on three different locations on the ball: left panel, right panel, or in the middle. Not sure if this is the case for all teams. However, it was for the Astros.
    Cool, thanks for the info. Hadn't known that and am curious about the Giants now.

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RStadlerASU22 View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info. Hadn't known that and am curious about the Giants now.

Ryan
    I'd like to know what you find. So maybe we can confirm its for other teams too.

Mentioned
    560 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
    Just one year. I had to figure this out long ago. All the major catalogs list the Cubs ball with Sandberg, George Bell, and Grace, but Grace isn't on it, rather it is Andre Dawson. Plus two of the balls are short printed, Cubs is one of them. I thought maybe there were two years too, but after extensive research determined only one. Wonder if @Hawk8 knows about this issue?
    I do have the Cubs ball and now I will have to be on the look out for more balls to see if there is a placement difference
    Want to buy anything Andre Dawson - Twitter @The8Hawk8
    159,911 Total Cards, 4,181 Different Cards, 1,098 Autographs, 355 1/1s, 174 RCs, 373 Graded, 187 Packs, 6 Buttons, 1,282 Mem Cards, 2,666 SN Cards
    28 Cameos, 206 Mentions, 337 Checklists
    Also collecting Drew Brees with my son

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, I was aware of two different variations, but I didn't realize each player could be in any spot on the ball. I've got a few more to pick up!

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
    Interesting, I was aware of two different variations, but I didn't realize each player could be in any spot on the ball. I've got a few more to pick up!
    What were the 2 variations you knew of?

Ryan

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
    It was for Bagwell. So I'm assuming it's that way for the other players(Biggio and Caminitti in my case). I think it would be odd if only one player jumps around to all three spots. I'll have to look through that box later and see where the other guys are on these variations.

Hendersonfan
     Hendersonfan24
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to pretend I didn't see this thread. I have 1 ball, that's good enough for me. Unless someone wants to send me any others.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendersonfan View Post
    I'm going to pretend I didn't see this thread. I have 1 ball, that's good enough for me. Unless someone wants to send me any others.
    Dude, don't sweat it. They don't pop for Bagwell much anyways. Had I not gotten really lucky to find a box, I'd be in the "I didn't see this thread" crowd.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendersonfan View Post
    There is a joke in there somewhere...

Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast