Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do people collect sports illustrated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I have a bunch of sports illustrated from the late 90's and early 00's. Do people collect these? I thought about putting them on Craigslist to see if I have any interest but I'm not sure if people keep them

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think you'd have success either way to a degree. People love to get them signed. Most people prefer them w/o an address label but with older stuff, people tend to take what they can get.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I subscribed to Sports Illustrated since I was born (literally) as my Grandpa subscribed and transferred over to my name. I saved everyone. Through the next 35 years or so, moving, and keeping them in crawlspace, and life, they ended up not being the best of shape, and getting a slight mildew smell. I ended up cutting all the covers off and laminating a lot of them. About 11 years ago, Office max had a promotion where they'd laminate one "job" for free for teachers on teacher appreciation day. My "job" was 150 of my favorite covers!:grin:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think you'll find that significant covers might still do OK, but the strongest interest is in the older issues regardless. The newer covers just don't have the same appeal and are too busy. A nice clean 1955 cover vs 2015 (60 years later). No question about it.

thumb.aspx.jpeg50COVv15_promo.jpg

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Mine all have address labels. I'll get an idea of what years I have and if anyone has a few they want, they're welcome to them for shipping costs

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
We had a customer who had two full sets, with one of them about 20% signed. That was impressive!

And from that time, I'm sure the Jordan's sell well.

I need a couple mid 80s college hoops issues that got ruined a while back...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
There's a guy who calls himself SI King. Supposed to be the top dog when it comes to collecting autographed versions of sports illustrated. He's pretty well known.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I have every issue from 1976 to 2010 stacked neatly in my basement by year. Just can't part with them. Stopped subscription in 2010/11 since I was running out of shelve space. Use to read magazine from cover to cover. I miss it.....:(

Sent from my SM-G530T using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The funny thing is, most people want a mint for their magazines or they can't give them away. Then there is high shipping costs for them to boot. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground, which is frustrating for team or player collectors who just need a stray copy here and there. I have boxes and boxes of magazines and I bet if I listed them for next to nothing, few would sell.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
The funny thing is, most people want a mint for their magazines or they can't give them away. Then there is high shipping costs for them to boot. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground, which is frustrating for team or player collectors who just need a stray copy here and there. I have boxes and boxes of magazines and I bet if I listed them for next to nothing, few would sell.

Certain "first covers " sell well - Jordan Gretzky Tiger etc.... also some college teams have great followings like the Crimson Tide. I just can't break up something that was near and dear to me for most of my life.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts