Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OT: Kimbo VS Shamrock is OFF for tonight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I am happy for Kimbo that he had his fame and made some cash off of so many fools who thought this guy was a MMA fighter.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
seth_petruzelli5.jpg

So this is the new Rocky?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Seth Petruzelli has been a good fighter for a while now. Glad to see he made the most out of a great opportunity. He was essentially fighting at a light heavyweight size against kimbo as well. I want to say he is around 205?

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Other than the fact that Kimbo isn't really a good fighter. Does anyone think that EliteXC is on to something by putting fights on broadcast TV instead of PPV? I think if UFC put monthly fights on, they would be huge hits. More so than PPV can make for them.

In many ways I think PPV is what killed boxing's popularity. Unlike boxing, MMA usually has enough good undercard fights that take up broadcast time. So they are actually able to put on a good show. Where boxing can essentially be over in no time. Which kills advertising.

G

nborton said:
Other than the fact that Kimbo isn't really a good fighter. Does anyone think that EliteXC is on to something by putting fights on broadcast TV instead of PPV? I think if UFC put monthly fights on, they would be huge hits. More so than PPV can make for them.

In many ways I think PPV is what killed boxing's popularity. Unlike boxing, MMA usually has enough good undercard fights that take up broadcast time. So they are actually able to put on a good show. Where boxing can essentially be over in no time. Which kills advertising.

I actually read a few weeks ago that UFC may take over EliteXC's time slot on CBS after their last show.

And with the disaster that last show turned out to be for XC and their golden boy meal ticket, I would say that's a strong possibility.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
I agree with the monthly MMA fights on CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX.

I watched Saturday Night just to see Gina Carano... and kept watching til the end.

If they can put some named guys/girls on and allow the general public to get to know them... it would increase its popularity even more.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I wonder what they will do for the next Kimbo fight? Will they try to rematch Shamrock?

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
More than likely they will have Kimbo in a rematch with Seth using the "Kimbo didn't prepare for him last time" approach. If promoted correctly, that could be a big money match and if Kimbo won, they could possibly have their cash cow back.

G

P_Manning 18 said:
I agree with the monthly MMA fights on CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX.

I watched Saturday Night just to see Gina Carano... and kept watching til the end.

If they can put some named guys/girls on and allow the general public to get to know them... it would increase its popularity even more.

I can't see money hungry Dana White ever giving the fans something for free on a monthly basis that he can charge the $50.00 a pop for, which they are gladly paying now and he's raking in the profits.

Maybe one free show every 6 months or something on CBS, but I really don't see that happening either.

They already show fights and stuff on Spike TV. They have UFC Fight Nights, and UFC Unleashed, and The Ultimate FIghter. VS has MMA on there, and the TapOut show.

There's MMA all over TV for free if you just look.

Honestly, I'd RATHER it be Affliction or Elite XC that gets a time slot ever so often in national TV because I never get to see those promotions. I get to see UFC all of the time.

But as far as Dana giving a free MONTHLY live PPV quality show to CBS every month. I don't see that happening in a million years. But I have been wrong before. I guess it depends on how much money is being thrown at him.

And I would say that Elite will probably hype up a Kimbo/Ken Shamrock 'rematch.'

Or talk for months about Tito, and maybe try to hype a fight with him with someone like Frank Shamrock due to Franks comments at the show.

Or they might try to get people interested in what Frank's wanted all these years. A fight with Ken.

Or they could go with a rematch of Seth vs Kimbo.

G

And with Affliction and XC cross promoting, there's always the possibility of them getting a Fedor fight on CBS.

You just never know what may happen.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
A shamrock/shamrock match would be huge. The talent out there for them to put on TV is huge, its all about the match ups.

G

MojoDan said:
A shamrock/shamrock match would be huge. The talent out there for them to put on TV is huge, its all about the match ups.

And if XC has any money left.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Sam,

Honestly, I think UFC does a great job at giving fans what they want to see for free. I dont think they need to add much more. Several fighters without UFC contracts can make for great television, and Seth is a prefect example. I agree with you about the Shamrocks, that would be the kinda fight you gather your buddies to watch. And I am never, ever, unhappy watching Arlovski or Tito........

G

MojoDan said:
Sam,

Honestly, I think UFC does a great job at giving fans what they want to see for free. I dont think they need to add much more. Several fighters without UFC contracts can make for great television, and Seth is a prefect example. I agree with you about the Shamrocks, that would be the kinda fight you gather your buddies to watch. And I am never, ever, unhappy watching Arlovski or Tito........

That's what I was meaning.

I think there's a lot of fighters out there that can carry cards that aren't with UFC. Fedor for example. Fedor's little brother. There are a ton of guys.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
There are a couple of guys that I cant wait to see in action again...

Vitor Belfort-David Louiseau-Kevin Randleman jump to mind

G

I watch way more UFC than anything. Unless there's a show on TV or an event like the EliteXC one, I never really go out of my way to watch anything other than UFC most of the time.

I am excited for Forrest Griffins next fight. He's a beast.

And it doesn't get much more exciting than Lesnar/Couture. That's going to be a huge fight.

There are a ton of possibly great UFC fights coming up in the next couple months. Lesnar/Couture, Rampage/Wandy, Griffin/Evans, Leben/Bisbing, Penn/GSP, Mir/Nog, Shogun/Coleman, Hendo/Franklin, Thiago/Machida.

There are a TON of great fights coming up. It's going to be a fantastic end of the year for UFC, and next year looks to be off to a great start with the unification of the Heavyweight title with the winners of the Mir/Nog and Brock/Randy fights.

I'm kind of hoping for a Mir/Lesnar rematch for the belt.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Well pretty much all of my favorites are having huge fights in the near future...so I am thrilled

G

MojoDan said:
Well pretty much all of my favorites are having huge fights in the near future...so I am thrilled

I like Randy, and if he beats Brock I won't be too disappointed, but I hope Brock wins.

My 3 favorite fighters right now are Forrest, Franklin and Brock.

I can't stand Leben. I hope he gets KTFO.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
My favorite is GSP, but I always root for Forrest, Penn, Bisping, Franklin, Couture, Lesnar, Radev, Reljic etc.

Wife is a big Cheik Kongo fan.

Members online