User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I went to a card show yesterday....

metalandy23
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I went to a card show yesterday....

Went to the Shriners card show in Willmington, Ma yesterday just to look around and hopefully find a gem or two that I need for my Ellis Burks collection. I was searching through all the .10, .25, .50 and up boxes hoping to find something. There was honestly nothing. It's obviously tough because he has some really tough 90's and 00's inserts that I need. Some of the dealers had a few boxes of that stuff, but mainly it was the newer stuff.

One dealer asks me "Looking for anything in particular?" I figured my response would definitely get a reaction. "I collect Ellis Burks". This dude almost fell over. I told him I know he's not a player that dealers would even think about bringing to a card show but I was searching anyways. He then tells me without a smirk, "you need to collect a different player". Hey look I'm all about jokes and giving someone a hard time, but this dude was dead serious. It's like, look pal I fully realize that I collect a player that no one cares about and his cards are pretty much worthless in dollar value. I'm just trying to enjoy myself by searching through the junk boxes hoping to even find one I need. I wanted to drag him over his table. What an ignorant thing to say to someone. There are plenty of collector whose favorite players have common value. It's not about that. It means more to us. Card collecting to me personally is about the passion and the hunt in finding new cards of your favorite player.

I've been collecting his cards since 1987. I have over 80% of his cards. I'm excited when I get something to check off of my list. It's a great feeling and that's what it's all about. Sorry for boring you with my story, but I just had to get it out there. To anyone who knows the pains of collecting a common player I salute you! haha. The struggle is real! Hope everyone enjoys their day.
    Collecting Ellis Burks cards since 1987.

rangercalfas
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Face it, some people are jerks

JEBJJA29
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's pissed he can't make money off of you. Collect who and what you want.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, I went to the Shriners show on Friday. Not as many dealers set up as I would have hoped.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's idiotic, your collection is yours and means something to you. People should never tell anyone else what, who or how to collect (except a spouse of course ) when I tell people I like to focus on sets I get looks and I've actually been told that set building is dead. Like wtf, who are u to being telling me how to manage my collection? I'm curious though, why Ellis? I always like the background story of y a player was chosen
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JEBJJA View Post
    He's pissed he can't make money off of you. Collect who and what you want.
    what i was thinking.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had dealers tell me the same exact thing about collecting Jeter.......

End game is the dealer didn't have any Jeters so he couldn't make money off me

Clowns

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's in charge of telling us who to collect? You should say you pay triple book for every card you want, maybe he'd be inspired to look for you

Featured Contributor
    Collector Showcase
     AmishDaveArcher
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalAndy View Post
    Went to the Shriners card show in Willmington, Ma yesterday just to look around and hopefully find a gem or two that I need for my Ellis Burks collection. I was searching through all the .10, .25, .50 and up boxes hoping to find something. There was honestly nothing. It's obviously tough because he has some really tough 90's and 00's inserts that I need. Some of the dealers had a few boxes of that stuff, but mainly it was the newer stuff.

One dealer asks me "Looking for anything in particular?" I figured my response would definitely get a reaction. "I collect Ellis Burks". This dude almost fell over. I told him I know he's not a player that dealers would even think about bringing to a card show but I was searching anyways. He then tells me without a smirk, "you need to collect a different player". Hey look I'm all about jokes and giving someone a hard time, but this dude was dead serious. It's like, look pal I fully realize that I collect a player that no one cares about and his cards are pretty much worthless in dollar value. I'm just trying to enjoy myself by searching through the junk boxes hoping to even find one I need. I wanted to drag him over his table. What an ignorant thing to say to someone. There are plenty of collector whose favorite players have common value. It's not about that. It means more to us. Card collecting to me personally is about the passion and the hunt in finding new cards of your favorite player.

I've been collecting his cards since 1987. I have over 80% of his cards. I'm excited when I get something to check off of my list. It's a great feeling and that's what it's all about. Sorry for boring you with my story, but I just had to get it out there. To anyone who knows the pains of collecting a common player I salute you! haha. The struggle is real! Hope everyone enjoys their day.
    Now you know my plight. I hate a chunk of dealer's for this reason.

The BEST Josh Johnson collection you'll ever see

JJ count: Total Cards: 2,443 Autographs = 886, 1/1's = 125, Patches = 228, Jerseys = 209, Buttons = 2 and MLB Logoman = 1

Also collecting: Dennis Northcutt, Titus Young, Bilal Powell, Josh McCown, T.J. Graham, Gino Guidugli, A.J. Vanegas, Tony Zych, Philip Pfeiffer & Mike Sims-Walker.

Trade list linkage

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a jerk
    RoncalliJetsForever9096822
    HOFer Craig Biggio-1469/4879-29% Craig Biggio Card Site
    HOFer
    Derrick Brooks-260/773-33% Derrick Brooks Card Site

amosrusie
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1460922243202.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	61492
    Scott

Did your favorite player ever hit 5 home runs in a doubleheader?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the same ish when I say I collect Griffey! I went to that show last year and didn't like the over attitudes of the dealers so I didn't go this weekend.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will always be people that have those type of attitudes and in this case I believe the dealer is in the wrong business. They will likely, never again, get a sale from you; that is a poor business practice.

Now, when it comes to collecting, we need to collect what we enjoy. This is a "hobby" for most of us and have fun doing so. People like this dealer will put a bad taste in our mouth, but there are plenty of other good individuals out there that we can purchase our items.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the dealers name ? Sounds like he was from Boston with that attitude.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George_Calfas View Post
    Face it, 75% of Show Dealers are jerks
    Fixed for accuracy!

I've been doing this for 25+ years and am still dumb-founded by the level of awful service most dealers have. They seem to hate it, but keep doing it, I don't get it...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast