User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Player Collectors

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying 90's wax is risky for the reasons you mentioned. One other is the condition of the cards. Too many 90's cards that have been stored in boxes have finishes that stick together. 98 Donruss does. You'll so much better off buying well-stored cards you need if and when they appear. I've hardly ever pulled a nice Grace card I've needed from a box, but man I can't imagine the disappointment I'd feel if I did hit a nice card but it was surface damaged from sticking to another card in the pack!

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ I just read that thread, that was 2009 and I didn't get on here til' 2012. I wish all those members will still active on here now. But great luck by GC there.

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

rangercalfas
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks [MENTION=8906]RStadlerASU22[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2549]cbrandtw[/MENTION].....even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

rangercalfas
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also, FWIW.....I have never seen the Lankford Starting Nine. A new board member has several hundred cards in that set and of course he is missing the Lankford. It is one of the key non-1/1s that I am missing for my PC. The search is still on.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    So what I'm understanding is that all of my missing Darryl Kile inserts are sitting in your closet.
    LOL, and my Thome inserts!

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always hope to hit the best card of my players, but I never do. I've never bought a box specifically to try to pull a super-rare card, and never hit one. Maybe I should.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your input. No doubt, patience is key.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Collecting is entertainment, and sometimes it's good to mix it up a bit. Obviously the best route is to save up, but I was one of those people that started collecting in '87, stopped opening boxes in '91 and then did not open a box or take part of a break from 1990-2014 so I could concentrate on my PC. I recommend on occasion doing a player or team break here and there or just flat out buy a box for fun. It's a good change of pace, but of course, pick a product you have some sort of chance (albeit small) to add to your PC. I've only done 2 team breaks and 1 box break since '14 and was fortunate enough to hit the PC lottery, but even without that happening, I still think it's a fun thing to throw in here and there to mix up collecting a bit. But if you have to choose one or the other, save, don't bust. You don't want to kick yourself for having some fun gambling and then missing out on the real and more likely opportunity.
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12