User Tag List

Thread: Why can't they keep em all the same?

AstroBag5
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't they keep em all the same?

So I have this awesome frame to display cards. I've had it for years. Lately, each year I like to add the current team to it. Last year, I had to wait to get an Aoki and Duffy because they came out in the update set. This year, I took the easy way and grabbed a team set at a local Jersey shop. Excited to add them to my frame, I opened it up and found awesome looking cards. Except two wont work for my frame.

Because they are landscape, not portrait pictures.

2016 Topps #299 - Angel Pagan

2016 Topps #137 - Joe Panik

Angel Pagan and Joe Panik make for exciting action shots, which look better sideways. I get that. I was thinking that Topps should do the base set as all portrait, and instead of a bunch of different colored parallels, do another chase set of all action shots. This would be nice for both my frame, and for collectors looking for something different than just a short printed card with a different color border.

Just thinking out loud...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160508_101221.jpg  
    Last edited by ASTROBURN; 05-08-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea. It would definitely make the cards more distinct, especially since some of Topps' SP parallels are sometimes just a different picture. Making the base set uniformly vertical, then parallels horizontal would be a cool. I do like seeing some horizontal cards though, but they don't always look good in pages in an album.

A few years ago, I opened a box of 2012 Topps Update and didn't realize until months later that I got a few SP variations, because they were just different photos.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    That's a good idea. It would definitely make the cards more distinct, especially since some of Topps' SP parallels are sometimes just a different picture. Making the base set uniformly vertical, then parallels horizontal would be a cool. I do like seeing some horizontal cards though, but they don't always look good in pages in an album.

A few years ago, I opened a box of 2012 Topps Update and didn't realize until months later that I got a few SP variations, because they were just different photos.
    Uh...half the variations these days have differences that are so subtle it's hard, even if you supposedly know what you're looking for...
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by predatorkj View Post
    Uh...half the variations these days have differences that are so subtle it's hard, even if you supposedly know what you're looking for...
    I rarely buy new cards anymore, and those are only regular and update Topps. So subtle variations are new to me.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely buy new cards anymore, and those are only regular and update Topps. So subtle variations are new to me.
    Sparkle cards would piss u off brother
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

Seriously, save yourself the headache and just pretend they don't exist. It's a nightmare.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!