Thread: One Touch Holder Investment

JayBruceFan32
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Touch Holder Investment

Hi all,

I was showing off my Jay Bruce collection to a fellow collector. He looked me straight in the eye and asked why would I have more money invested in one touch holders than the cards that are in them. I told him it's just a hobby and not an investment. I've taken the dollar aspect out of the hobby on my end of it. Of course he looked at me like I had two heads.

Do you feel (or know) that you have more money in the holders (pages, sleeves, one touch, snap) than cards in them are worth?

Fordman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am probably in that boat too especially when it comes to grading cards... I love graded cards even if they are

cards worth only a few bucks....

moxacaine
     moxacaine
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at current value? yes my adam cowart collection. lol i still buy them when i see them pop up.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One-touches are around $1.20/ea. I'd definitely never have cards under $5 in a one-touch. But, to each their own.
    Scanned cards: https://goo.gl/9QaZll Updated 10/17/2019

2011 Topps Heritage Red/Blue/Green Tints - 86.9% Complete
    2010 Topps Allen & Ginter NNO - 89/350 | 2010 Topps Allen & Ginter Bazooka Back - 67/350

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 1975 Topps PSA 8 set that has quite a few cards worth less than the card price+slabbing fee these days. Back when I built the set, it was about $6 for the cheapest level, and common cards were 25 cents or so. As the populations have increased and 9 become a more appealing target for builders, 8s have fallen and many are selling for $5 or less including shipping.

For raw singles I buy, no, their holders are commensurate with their value. Although I certainly understand the appeal. I put the rarer insert sets and such in thicker lucite and they look great.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

olerud363
     @olerud363
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with [MENTION=9350]fordman[/MENTION]. It's a hobby, not an investment. All of my standard size Olerud cards are in penny sleeves and toploaders, even common base.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.
    Collecting John Olerud cards and memorabilia.
    My hobby website: www.cardboardcorner.weebly.com

Thanks to JBel4331 for the awesome custom signature and avatar!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen the allure of these or screw downs except PERHAPS your favorite cards.

Personally, the cost, space it takes up, the weight and the thought of putting card worth a few bucks or less doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have quite a few autographs that were authenticated by PSA/DNA where the fee was way more than the cost of the actual auto. All were for PC so I don't care.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, if you collect Jay Bruce and it's not a common base card(which I doubt you'd put in a one touch anyway), you're probably ok with what you're doing. You normally put valuable cards in one touches. Holders are all about protection. Yes they can be for display but even then, you're kinda protecting them while on display so there's no shame in it. I keep expensive pc cards in one touches. Everything else is in toploaders. Except base, which is in a penny sleeve. Kinda hard to find a card worth less than a penny.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olerud363 View Post
    I'm with [MENTION=9350]fordman[/MENTION]. It's a hobby, not an investment. All of my standard size Olerud cards are in penny sleeves and toploaders, even common base.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.
    If you're collecting one player, I can see doing toploaders even for base. Honestly, you can get 25 toploaders for $2.00 so really you're paying less than11 cents a card(with the price of a penny sleeve included) to protect them. Not too crazy. Plus, chances are you add new cards(once you've got a sizable collection) very slowly so you aren't buying a case of these protectors every week.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think thats a pretty crappy thing to say to someone. If you like the look of your nice PC cards in screwdowns or magnetics go for it
    [B][SIZE=3]

JCMINT01 IS NOW TAKING CONSIGNMENTS. ANY COLLECTION/LOT BIG OR SMALL.
    PM ME FOR DETAILS.

My current hot RC EBAY auctions. https://www.ebay.com/sch/jcmint01/m.h...&_sop=1&_rdc=1

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you do with your cards that make this hobby enjoyable for you is your choice and I am all for that.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

indyfan23
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to keep my cards in nine card pages in a binder as its easy to look at but am always worried about damaging the cards. Anyone know of any pages that are specifically designed to fit toploaders? The four cards ones work, but there is way too much empty space. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bought an autograph jersey collection that was all low end but every single card was in a magnetic. I paid about .75 a card on average... All were team bagged too so they are all still super clean

jordanmagicbird
     @HoopsGeekery
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you guys ever wanted to do PSA / BGS style slabbing of your own cards at home simply for protection purposes, not for the purpose of authenticating or grading?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast