Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Newbie here from NJ looking for some guidance and expertise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

izucantc

May 15, 2016
My father was a big time collector, of all sports and of all years. He got a little ill a few years ago and just never got back into, it took a toll on him. Recently I've been going through the attic while moving things and I've come across his card sanctuary as he would call it. And I've found some promising cards, I know for a fact they are all original, even the Fleer ones with Jordan which I know have been reprinted, I found the box the complete set came in with the postal date on it. All boxes show in the pics are complete sets. I remember him when I was younger collecting and hunting down cards, having complete sets sent to the house. He has the whole attic full, boxes and boxes of cards.I was wondering if you guys can steer me in the right direction, of rarity, current market value, should I sell, or hold on to them?

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
I have a lot more to show.

Attachments

• IMG_9414.JPG
    IMG_9414.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9397.JPG
    IMG_9397.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9398 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9398 - Copy.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9399.JPG
    IMG_9399.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9400.JPG
    IMG_9400.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9415 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9415 - Copy.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9416 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9416 - Copy.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9418 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9418 - Copy.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9419.JPG
    IMG_9419.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9420.JPG
    IMG_9420.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9421.JPG
    IMG_9421.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9422.JPG
    IMG_9422.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9423 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9423 - Copy.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9424.JPG
    IMG_9424.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9425 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9425 - Copy.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9426.JPG
    IMG_9426.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9427.JPG
    IMG_9427.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9428.JPG
    IMG_9428.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9429.JPG
    IMG_9429.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9433.JPG
    IMG_9433.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9434.JPG
    IMG_9434.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9435.JPG
    IMG_9435.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9486.JPG
    IMG_9486.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9489.JPG
    IMG_9489.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9485.JPG
    IMG_9485.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 44

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
To maximize your money and ease of selling, you have to get the big valued vintage and Jordan cards graded.

Also the dimaggio needs to be certified by psa dna

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Looks like a helluva collection. You've definitely got enough potential there that you'll want to have someone trustworthy to help you go through it and make sure you can either maximize it (like putting more money in and getting some of the vintage stuff graded as BBC mentioned) or at the very least get fair value from someone else willing to do the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

izucantc

May 15, 2016
To maximize your money and ease of selling, you have to get the big valued vintage and Jordan cards graded.

Also the dimaggio needs to be certified by psa dna

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

How does one go about the grading process?

izucantc

May 15, 2016
Looks like a helluva collection. You've definitely got enough potential there that you'll want to have someone trustworthy to help you go through it and make sure you can either maximize it (like putting more money in and getting some of the vintage stuff graded as BBC mentioned) or at the very least get fair value from someone else willing to do the work.

I honestly wouldn't mind getting fair value, for someone willing to do the work. I have no idea how to go about the grading and certification. If someone steered me in the right direction, I wouldn't mind going through the process but I don't know anyone that collects cards that I can trust. There's a local card store in the area but I'm not sure if I want to go and get a very low offer and I accept cause I don't know any better.

izucantc

May 15, 2016
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Some more I've found while doing some digging. The last picture with those stack of cards are all of Hank Aaron, he was my fathers favorite player.

Attachments

• IMG_9490.JPG
    IMG_9490.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9492.JPG
    IMG_9492.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9491.JPG
    IMG_9491.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9494.JPG
    IMG_9494.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 37

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I honestly wouldn't mind getting fair value, for someone willing to do the work. I have no idea how to go about the grading and certification. If someone steered me in the right direction, I wouldn't mind going through the process but I don't know anyone that collects cards that I can trust. There's a local card store in the area but I'm not sure if I want to go and get a very low offer and I accept cause I don't know any better.

Excellent, then you're already on the right track! I think at the least you'll want to grade some of those Aaron's, especially the rookie and any stars that are older than the 70's plus early Jordans. Price will vary per card for grading but you'll more than make up for that cost as buyers will pay more with the peace of mind from the grading company. There's a Group Grading section on here that is a good place to dig around and get a little info, questions answered, and potentially join a group submission where a couple of our reliable members can send cards in for you. Jeffv96masters (or something like that) runs a good PSA sub.
For the newer stuff, you can try to check completed sales on eBay to get an idea of value. If you can't find something or if you think it's pretty rare chances are people on this board can give you solid information without a biased opinion or motive :)
Worst case, start a new thread and post one card at a time until you have all the info you need!

izucantc

May 15, 2016
Excellent, then you're already on the right track! I think at the least you'll want to grade some of those Aaron's, especially the rookie and any stars that are older than the 70's plus early Jordans. Price will vary per card for grading but you'll more than make up for that cost as buyers will pay more with the peace of mind from the grading company. There's a Group Grading section on here that is a good place to dig around and get a little info, questions answered, and potentially join a group submission where a couple of our reliable members can send cards in for you. Jeffv96masters (or something like that) runs a good PSA sub.
For the newer stuff, you can try to check completed sales on eBay to get an idea of value. If you can't find something or if you think it's pretty rare chances are people on this board can give you solid information without a biased opinion or motive :)
Worst case, start a new thread and post one card at a time until you have all the info you need!

Thank you so much. I'm going to organized by year and then separate them by sport, so it's easier to make threads in each sport section. I don't understand how the price book works, so ebay will have to do for the newer cards. I don't mind paying for the grade if it will benefit me in the long run. Do collectors prefer graded or ungraded cards? I've read that sometimes collectors or buyers want the raw cards? I'm not sure if that's true or not. How long does the grading process take? I have so many questions lol but I'll take a look in the Group Grading section and ask the more appropriate questions for this situation there. I really appreciate it!

izucantc

May 15, 2016
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

A few more I found. The CBA is a complete set.

Attachments

• IMG_9554.JPG
    IMG_9554.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9553.JPG
    IMG_9553.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9555.JPG
    IMG_9555.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 26

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet; some of those cards look to be in older "screw down" cases. Some like that 1960 Aaron look like there is a recessed area for the card to fit into which is good but others like the Payton rookie look to be two solid plastic slabs. Sooner rather than later you'll want to VERY carefully see if you can remove those cards from those screw down cases. There are horror stories with those cases and cards that have been under such tight pressure for years and also exposed to humidity that the card actually becomes stuck/glued to the plastic and is essentially destroyed. Hopefully they're not in there too tight. Newer cases like that of the Kemp or Palmer are better designed for long term storage and allow the card to breathe

izucantc

May 15, 2016
Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet; some of those cards look to be in older "screw down" cases. Some like that 1960 Aaron look like there is a recessed area for the card to fit into which is good but others like the Payton rookie look to be two solid plastic slabs. Sooner rather than later you'll want to VERY carefully see if you can remove those cards from those screw down cases. There are horror stories with those cases and cards that have been under such tight pressure for years and also exposed to humidity that the card actually becomes stuck/glued to the plastic and is essentially destroyed. Hopefully they're not in there too tight. Newer cases like that of the Kemp or Palmer are better designed for long term storage and allow the card to breathe

I didn't even think of that, I just carefully unscrewed them a little to relive the pressure, tomorrow I will buy better cases to protect the cards.

Members online

Latest posts