Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

3 Up, 3 Down Pitching Challenge: CONTEST CLOSED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Here is a new contest open to all.

HOW TO PLAY

1. Select any three starting pitchers.

2. Starting with the day you make your picks, track each pitcher's Game Score on Baseball-Reference

3. At any time after each pitcher's first game of this contest, if they record 3 consecutive starts with an increasing Game Score or 3 consecutive starts with a decreasing Game Score, you win!

NOTES:

-You cannot mix/match increasing and decreasing Game Scores within a streak

-Each pitcher must be the starting pitcher

4. Be the first to post your winning pitcher to claim your prize. Once verified by me, I'll send you a PM to arrange delivery.

5. I'll award one prize for a 3 game decrease and one prize for a 3 game increase.

6. A pitcher having the same Game Score from one start to the next does not count toward their streak

7. A pitcher can only be claimed by one contestant. First come, first serve.

SAMPLE

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=kershcl01&t=p&year=2016

As dominant as Kershaw's been in 2016, he does not have a 3 game streak of either increasing or decreasing Game Scores.

This holds true for most, so the winning pitcher will not likely be an ace.

A big part of the strategy requires finding a starting pitcher about to go through either a prolonged surge or slump.

Once you make your selections, I will provide quick links for your player.

That's it!

Please post your three picks in this thread, making sure that none have already been claimed.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

MAY 20 STARTING DATE

gracecollector
Jacob deGrom
Drew Smyly
Carlos Rodon

Gwynn545
Felix Hernandez
Hisashi Iwakuma
Taiwan Walker

game****fanatic
Johnny Cueto
Nathan Karns
Aaron Nola

metallicalex777
Steven Matz
Wade Miley
Jake Arrieta

Therion
Colin McHugh
Robbie Ray
Edinson Volquez

Pine Tar
Jose Quintana
Aaron Sanchez
Sonny Gray

Last edited:

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Wouldn't Kershaw's first three games count as a downward streak? Or would the first game not count as no previous to judge?

Correct, the first game does not count as you have to establish a baseline.

So,

83 (baseline)
70 (decrease)
63 (decrease)
67 (increase)

Using any of his games so far as a baseline, at no point does he record 3 straight increases or decreases.

Not as easy as it appears at first glance!

Thanks for your picks.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Felix Hernandez
Hisashi Iwakuma
Taiwan Walker

My heart is telling me three starts from now, after increasing each week, a perfect game is coming from Felix... :)

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION], [MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION], @game****fanatic, [MENTION=2055]metallicalex777[/MENTION], [MENTION=2759]Therion[/MENTION], [MENTION=3132]Pine Tar[/MENTION]

Quick links to your players have been added to the OP.

For others who'd like to join, this list also helps determine if a player has already been selected.

Thanks again.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
[MENTION=3744]cjedmonton[/MENTION]

I believe I just got the 3 Down with Wade Miley as he was just replaced in tonight's game:

05/22: 45 points
05/28: 32 points
06/02: 4 points (lowest I have seen any of these scores yet!)

But I'm a born and raised M's fan and HATE to see the opposing teams score like tonight away from this contest.

Let me know if I did this wrong or too soon and thanks for the contest either way!

Last edited:

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
@cjedmonton

I believe I just got the 3 Down with Wade Miley as he was just replaced in tonight's game:

05/22: 45 points
05/28: 32 points
06/02: 4 points (lowest I have seen any of these scores yet!)

But I'm a born and raised M's fan and HATE to see the opposing teams score like tonight away from this contest.

Let me know if I did this wrong or too soon and thanks for the contest either way!

ok....i may have this game wrong , so i just wanted to post and ask about it to get clarification....

i THINK the pitcher's first game on or after may 20 sets the baseline and then they have to go up (or down) in 3 consecutive starts AFTER that date which would mean that miley currently has a two-game downward streak)....am i correct ?

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
ok....i may have this game wrong , so i just wanted to post and ask about it to get clarification....

i THINK the pitcher's first game on or after may 20 sets the baseline and then they have to go up (or down) in 3 consecutive starts AFTER that date which would mean that miley currently has a two-game downward streak)....am i correct ?

Going back through the thread you are totally correct. I overlooked the first game as being the baseline so good catch there. No win for me on this one, but the Mariners squeezed out the win so I am still happy :)

Thanks!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North

Perfect interpretation, thanks for clarifying on my behalf.

No matter which game you choose as your starting point on/after May 20th, that serves as the baseline to attempt your streak of 3 up or 3 down.

Sorry, Alex...no win yet!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Drew Smyly has had his last 4 down in a row (57, 50, 43, 8), but his baseline started on May 16th, and I doubt his next start will be as bad as his last (GS of 8). My other two pictures had tie scores their last two outings. That really screws things up.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Felix Hernandez
Hisashi Iwakuma
Taiwan Walker

My heart is telling me three starts from now, after increasing each week, a perfect game is coming from Felix... :)

Iwakuma is up four in a row, starting with this contest!
iwa_zpsbyqfsmhq.jpg

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
so much for my hopes of aaron nola winning the up version for me this week.....and he was oh-so-close having gone 53 , 53 , 59 , 63.....any chance of getting a recount in either of his first two games ? ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts