User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should 1st and last serial numbered cards be worth more than other #'d cards in the same PR?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 50.00%
  • No.

15 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First and last serial numbers-- should they fetch more $$?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First and last serial numbers-- should they fetch more $$?

I'm wondering if you guys think the 1st and last serial numbered cards in their print runs should fetch more $ than non-first and non-last serial numbered cards?
    WTTF/WTB: Looking for Red Sox cards I don't have of players from modern Bowman products. Always open to trade!

olerud363
     @olerud363
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a player collector, the only one I might pay a bit more for is the jersey number.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.
    Collecting John Olerud cards and memorabilia.
    My hobby website: www.cardboardcorner.weebly.com

Thanks to JBel4331 for the awesome custom signature and avatar!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd probably rather have 1/xx than some random number but not sure if I'd pay much of a premium for it. I really liked the idea of what they used to do with Longevity cards where the first one was basically a 1/1.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pick them up when I can. Like [MENTION=12560]Gjb70[/MENTION] pointed out they are better than random numbers. It depends on the card also. With everything serial numbered they are more common. Numbered cards like 1/5 or 1/10 are not too appealing but find me a Yankee '01 Topps Gold #d 0001/2001 and I want it in my collection. It depends on the players fan base also. If 2 guys collect first runs of let's say Derek Jeter naturally that would bring more than Brett Gardner. My overall preference would be the jersey number.

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jersey number for player collectors always has a premium. I like the #1 if i am off my meds i pay more for that number.
    Last edited by joey12508; 05-20-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't think they should fetch more $ and wouldn't pay extra for a particular number. I know others do and that's cool too. Being a Puckett collector, I see where his 34/XX numbering do better than the others. I'm just happy to add new cards to my collection and don't worry about what number it is.

deliciousbacon666
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all. Also, people selling them as 1/1s are scum of the 'bay. EVERY numbered card is a 1/1 by that flawed logic. There's nothing inherently special about having 001/500 or 1000/1000, the odds of getting that # are the same as any other.
    I'm DelBacon on Sportlots, tons of great cards!

1K+ Club - Top Player Collections: 1. Glaus: 2132 - 2. Rolen: 1714 - 3. Thome: 1689- 4. Helton: 1602 - 5. Garciaparra: 1538 - 6. D. Ortiz: 1415 - 7. L. Walker: 1357 - 8. R. Palmeiro: 1328 - 9. A. Beltre: 1176 - 10. Edmonds: 1123 - 11. Biggio: 1110 - 12. Konerko: 1042

arturohillo
     arturohillo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousBacon View Post
    Not at all. Also, people selling them as 1/1s are scum of the 'bay. EVERY numbered card is a 1/1 by that flawed logic. There's nothing inherently special about having 001/500 or 1000/1000, the odds of getting that # are the same as any other.
    Agree
    Edgar Gonzalez Collection: - the 1/1's: 108/111 (97.3%) Have 12 1/1s out of 29
    Jorge Cantu Collection: 487 / 688 (70.78%), 58 1/1s (14 non plates)
    - the 1/1's: 429/443 (96.84%)
    Total Mexican Collection: 4,326
    Mexican autographs: 129/130 and on baseballs 118/130

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most definitely yes. Not sure how someone could disagree with this... #1 is way cooler than #228 ... First off the production line or last of the production line has always had a special place in the hearts of collectors.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousBacon View Post
    I list every single card as a 1/1 even base cards.
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
    I list every single card as a 1/1 even base cards.
    Lol!

Seriously, I have no preference. Not even with cards numbered to the players jersey number. I know another Bagwell collector here prefers them and there have been a few times I buy something from him because he ends up with a double when he finds the jersey number version. To me, they don't really matter.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just take it as a pleasant bonus but don't really factor it into my bidding habits. If a first or last is listed at a buck or two higher than a different number I'd probably pay that very small difference but not what I would deem a "premium"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should they fetch more? No. Do they fetch more? Often times they do. As pointed out, jersey numbers or other significant numbers (career milestones, significant dates as serial numbers, etc) have grown into a popular alternative collecting stream for many. In some cases, the premiums are huge.

I will say that a 1000/1000 does look better to the eye than a 681/1000.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought some refractors and didn't notice one was 1/50, does look better but wouldn't pay more because of it
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Bay-buyer-09
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of right now I have about 250 Ripken cards with First, Last and Jersey number serial numbers. They are part of my PC but separate from the main PC. They are a collection of their own, if you will. But like most, I wouldn't go out of my way to find them or pay too much more for them. I also set aside the 80 / 080 / 808 / or any combinations of zeroes and eights.

However, If I have the 0008 / 0088 / 0800 / 0808 and so on, I might go after the others a little more aggressive but that's a looooooong shot. The most I have is two of any card and I got them both by accident.

The same goes when I have the first and last, then I will have to chase the jersey number or any combination of these three..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast