Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does it really matter when an auction ends?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Any hardcore player or set collector is probably going to have a snipe program.

So with that thought, does it still matter when an auction ends?

Now I'm not talking about some low interest common card like a Bumgarner jersey card or similar.

What do you think?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yes, I think it does matter. Not everyone uses snipes, and some people would maybe only see/bid on a listing if they are on the computer viewing random things. So I'd say 6pm PT ish weekdays gives you the most eyes. It can only hurt if you end it at an odd time I would think.

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yes. I do not use snipes and I do have a job I'm at. I don't know how many cards I've forgotten about because of this or because they end in the middle of the night.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
It still matters but not as much as it used to. I still try to end on Sunday nights but I haven't noticed much of a difference if I end them any other night.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Pretty much this. Why chance it and end something when most people are sleeping? Capture the casual passer by and impulse buyers if at all possible.

Yes, I think it does matter. Not everyone uses snipes, and some people would maybe only see/bid on a listing if they are on the computer viewing random things. So I'd say 6pm PT ish weekdays gives you the most eyes. It can only hurt if you end it at an odd time I would think.

Ryan

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Fear of giving up your password is probably one of there bigger deterrents.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I'm not really sure but I've never used a snipe program, however I'm thinking of finally getting one.

I think the time in the day that it ends definitely makes a difference but I've never seen any conclusive evidence that points to ending on Sunday may or may not get more money if ended on a Thursday. Regardless, I still always shoot to have my auctions end on a Sunday because I've always been taught to.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I snipe all the time. $6.00 a year for Gixen to do the work for me is a bargain! A lot of auctions end at 2am because of the time difference between East/West coast. I've won probably 98% of whatever snipes I had set. The other 2% were where I was out sniped. If I really want a card, I set a ridiculous snipe price. I have gone up against another high price sniper and won but have overpaid for cards as a result.

Fordman

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
And if the same two snipe bids are the same amount is it the first person? Just curious....Thanks

Yes most snipes are "fired" in the last 5-30 seconds, so it's whoever logs the bid first if its the same exact bid. That's why making the cents a lil different than .00 or .50 makes sense. If they fire at the same time for same exact price I guess it's a crap shoot as to which one eBay counts.

Ryan

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Yes most snipes are "fired" in the last 5-30 seconds, so it's whoever logs the bid first if its the same exact bid. That's why making the cents a lil different than .00 or .50 makes sense. If they fire at the same time for same exact price I guess it's a crap shoot as to which one eBay counts.

Ryan

I set my snipe for a number like $20.99. Most people instinctively will bid by the half dollar with the thought of they're beating the $20.00 with $20.50. I go a step further and bid $20.99 beating the $20.50. I've only lost one snipe by doing this and I sniped at $20.98 and the other was $20.99. Dont know why I didnt add the other penny but the other guy did and beat me by a penny for a 1/1 card. Ever since, I've been doing it that way with great success. Not sure about what bid gets placed over another if they're the same snipe. Gixen paid ($6 a year) lets me set one snipe at 3 sec to go and I set another at 1 sec to go. For this calendar year, I've only missed one snipe and it was because of a power outtage in California with ebay servers and where they're stored.

Fordman

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
In my case, I try to budget what I spend. So sniping won't always work because I like to see what I'm paying. For instance, there might be two Bagwell autos up ending close together. I may have $200 to spend. If I snipe both at a $100 I may lose both. But if I lose one at a $100, now I can afford to go after the other one with more money.

Latest posts