Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Witt #702 New York Yankee error card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilbert M Ayala

Jun 1, 2016
Good afternoon I recently come across these MikeWitt #702 error cards,can anyone give me a little insight about these supposedly "rare" cards,i in California and it seems the card collectors know little to nothing about these cards,i would appreciate a little help if anybody knows the true worth of them,in in the process of sending out to PSA for grading,much thank you to all who comment.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
If a large hoard of these turn up, I think it may confirm the theory that these were intentionally created by UD like their 1989 errors.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Good afternoon I recently come across these MikeWitt #702 error cards,can anyone give me a little insight about these supposedly "rare" cards,i in California and it seems the card collectors know little to nothing about these cards,i would appreciate a little help if anybody knows the true worth of them,in in the process of sending out to PSA for grading,much thank you to all who comment.

It is your business as to where they came from but is this something you are going to share with the members here? I did notice you listed one the other day and had a $200 opening bid. It has since been up'd to a $300 starting bid. I'm just curious as to how you came up with those starting prices?

Gilbert M Ayala

Jun 1, 2016
Hey Yanks,the reason for the prices came from the posts and the research on the net,im new to this hobby and believe that I've hit a jackpot on what I've found,and like the earlier post by dbacon,i believe I've found exactly what he's stating from a swap meet that the guy who had them said he bought a storage locker from a person who passed..you wouldn't believe it if I told too,but the guy has a lot of old cards in sleeves that I'm going to pick up this Saturday,he I'm hoping something else good happens,and if they don't sell,they don't sell...the clue is the little bonus I added..take note*...also,I have 3 variations of errors of the card..thanks for the comment bud,much appreciated

Gilbert M Ayala

Jun 1, 2016
Update:..yesterday I sent an email to the Upper Deck company and I just got a response back from them,they asked what questions I had for the card,so I'm hoping they can give an answer to all the questions about the card,have a goodnight all

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Update:..yesterday I sent an email to the Upper Deck company and I just got a response back from them,they asked what questions I had for the card,so I'm hoping they can give an answer to all the questions about the card,have a goodnight all

I don't think you'll get any helpful answers. The theory is that Richard McWilliam, the late co-founder of Upper Deck, had this made intentionally in the wake of the massive popularity of the 1989 Upper Deck errors. Many of those (like the Murphy reverse negative) were either done intentionally, or reprinted for the benefit of McWilliam and other UD people once they became high dollar cards.

Dylan from JunkWaxGems makes a great point about this card: it should exist without the black box, or the black box was printed on the sheets before cards. The latter doesn't make sense, and no one has ever seen a boxless Witt. Makes it more plausible this was a manufactured "error"; couldn't have been too hard to print up a few sheets of these with the boxes part of the design of the card.

Gilbert M Ayala

Jun 1, 2016
I definently agree with you,and who's to say that the people working there now are still working since the concept of the cards,but we will see if I get a response,idid ask all those questions and also if it would be an asset to them to get them back for some reason...IDK

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
But it doesn't make sense that they printed this card on purpose because they were almost literally impossible to find in packs.

Back then some say errors were done to sell more boxes from the manufacturer as well as help dealers sell more.

But if a card was basically impossible to find, not only wouldn't it move boxes but word of it might not even get out for months or years back In the pre internet age (just at Thomas NNOF).

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jan 14, 2009
Since you have 800 copies of the card, there is no way whatsoever for you to not bring down the market on them if you decide to sell even 10% of your find. Regardless whether you space them out or not. You're lucky if you can find 50 guys willing to pay $100+ for the card after you've sold a couple dozen.

The value on this card plummeted once the guy who cut up the 10 sheets with them years ago sold some. Then again when the other guy found the hi number palette of Witt boxes.

Gilbert M Ayala

Jun 1, 2016
Couldn't agree with you more,that's why I say,if they sell,they sell...but I won't just give them away,so if people want to pay,they will pay,if not,its no problem for me to hold them,and I don't believe these were found in sheets and cut,thanks for your comment.

Gilbert M Ayala

Jun 1, 2016
And the first guy who came to me and gave me a little insight...he will have one of the free ones for his collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.