Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2015
New Jersey
Is it just me or does it seem like eBay is less of an auction site and more of a buy it now store. I was recently looking at the various mattingly cards I've bought this year and almost 80% were through a non auction format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
The auction format opens yourself up to sell cards for much cheaper than through the BIN format. There a lot of people looking for steals to flip. (not a bad or good thing) just the reality. That is a chance many sellers dont want to take IMO. It can work in reverse but in my experience that is not the norm.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
The auction format opens yourself up to sell cards for much cheaper than through the BIN format. There a lot of people looking for steals to flip. (not a bad or good thing) just the reality. That is a chance many sellers dont want to take IMO. It can work in reverse but in my experience that is not the norm.

I used to sell strictly via auction until I got into prospecting and quickly realized this. Lately I've only been selling via Best Offer.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yep, ebay is turning into a storefront littered with overpriced crap. Sad, because good stuff does usually sell for market value, sometimes more with spirited bidding, but the majority are now seemingly afraid to even try auctions. Watching 2016 Archives just reinforces that. I saw Garvery autographed cards numbered to 199 being listed at $100+ and there is one copy #'d to 50 for $150 OBO. They won't sell anywhere near the opening prices, but it is ridiculous to even see people try. Any other Garvey numbered to 199 is $10 at best and one numbered to 50 is maybe a $15-20 card on a good day.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I typically just search auctions. There are not as many but those are typically where you can find deals. I've seen so many bins with stupid prices with no bo option.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I typically just search auctions. There are not as many but those are typically where you can find deals. I've seen so many bins with stupid prices with no bo option.

You are 100% AC, the auctions are where you can find the deals. As for the stupid BIN, I think you have to take into effect that a lot of people are in no rush to sell and figure why not list it and if someone chooses to pay there asking price then that is what they are willing to sell it for. I personally don't take offense at high BIN's, now if I reach out and ask if they would take xxxx amount of dollars and they come back with this card is a steal or some crazy talk then I do find that funny. I remember when small traditions listed the 98 Jeter PM for 10K. i offered them 1000 and they told me my offer was laughable and the card was worth more like 7-8K. OK... then they auctioned the card and low and behold it sold for 1100. A little more than my offer but not 7-8K.

Last edited:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
You are 100% AC, the auctions are where you can find the deals. As for the stupid BIN, I think you have to take into effect that a lot of people are in no rush to sell and figure why not list it and if someone chooses to pay there asking price then that is what they are willing to sell it for. I personally don't take offense at high BIN's, now if I reach out and ask if they would take xxxx amount of dollars and they come back with this card is a steal or some crazy talk then I do find that funny. I remember when small traditions listed the 98 Jeter PM for 10K. i offered them 1000 and they told me my offer was laughable and the card was worth more like 7-8K. OK... then they auctioned the card and low and behold it sold for 1100. A little more than my offer but not 7-8K.

I had contact a seller who had a non auto bowman chrome red /5 listed for 160, I picked up the orange /25 for 8 bucks. I asked what he realistically wanted, he said 160, unreal

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I had contact a seller who had a non auto bowman chrome red /5 listed for 160, I picked up the orange /25 for 8 bucks. I asked what he realistically wanted, he said 160, unreal

Yeah, that is something thats bugs me a bit too. I list some of my stuff pretty darn high. But that is stuff I don't really care to move unless I get a GREAT/Ridiculous price. But I also let the buyer know as much when they inquire. Although some buyer think that all sellers should be a charity case. I had a buyer say this to me the other day on an item I listed way high, and I quote....

"Is says best offer so I take it your looking for money like everyone, how many Griffey do you got? And how much!!"

WTF does that even mean?? I wanted to respond, no I am a charity please send you me your address so i can mail you whatever you
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]want, Ill even pay for shipping.. LOL[/FONT]

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
eBay is basically a card museum now. Just showing what someone has off with no intention of ever selling. Folks are stupid.

Dec 4, 2008
I think a lot of the "museum owners" are people who pay the $100-200/mo storefront fee which comes with free BIN listings. They are just stocking their store doing the "available for sale" thing. I get that and do not take issue with it. Pay to play.

Personally I refuse to list on ebay other than with a free listing. Why pay $ for the mere right to sell your stuff? So while I have approx 10,000 singles with auctions prepped and ready to go, they only go up when ebay has a free listing promo going for sellers. Which as of late has been a LOT less often.

eBay is basically a card museum now. Just showing what someone has off with no intention of ever selling. Folks are stupid.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I think a lot of the "museum owners" are people who pay the $100-200/mo storefront fee which comes with free BIN listings. They are just stocking their store doing the "available for sale" thing. I get that and do not take issue with it. Pay to play.

Personally I refuse to list on ebay other than with a free listing. Why pay $ for the mere right to sell your stuff? So while I have approx 10,000 singles with auctions prepped and ready to go, they only go up when ebay has a free listing promo going for sellers. Which as of late has been a LOT less often.

I agree with Chipper 100% . when they offer 1000 free listing I would always list a bunch of stuff. I also refuse to pay to lsit. I havent received one on a while though (over a month). When I do though most to sell but some with high BINs. I dont see a problem with it. I guess my take on other sellers high BIN is why should it matter to me. I dont blame people. It is their right to list for whatever they want. Many of them know there BINs are way high but have no desire to sell unless they get a huge numbers. What actually bugs me more is how rude and brazen buyers have become. I have received more jerk message in the last 6 months than in the previous 3 years. I had one guy tell me that his offer was 15 dollars over what I paid for an item and I should accept it because I was making a profit. I would have accepted his offer if he didnt make his stupid ass comment. I blocked him and will glady accept an offer 10 dollars less than his to sell to anyone else. And has the term God Bless become a staple for idiots??

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'm all for showing stuff off, but if there is a reasonable offer made on a non-iconic or jaw-dropping card, and it's instantly rejected, what's the point of showing off ? (Yes, I know, if someone hits the BIN, the seller gets what they want, but for the guys I collect, there isn't a huge market and I know the market, I think, fairly well). Just head scratching when I match previous sales or go a bit higher for instant rejection or a counter offer w/in a dollar of the BIN.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
i'll price lower than others hoping i'll sell first . Didn't even use up my free posting last month . strange how 1/150 will not sale but 65/150 will near same price -- not counting jersey number

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I was looking at a card that only had 4 active listings. They were all graded PSA 7 and sell between $600-$700. Three of the listings were around $800-$900 with BO. The fourth was BIN $1299. The $1200 was slightly better centered, but not great compared to the others, so I sent him a message and asked if they would accept an offer of $650. They responded that their prices are non-negotiable. I could understand that you don't accept offers if you're competitively priced, but I don't understand doing that if you are priced so high that you double the average sales. You list your stuff for double what they're selling for and don't negotiate offers? So I waited a couple weeks and purchased a nicely centered copy for $700 as a new listing.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
The problem is that buyers aren't interested in people showing off their cards just for the sake of it. You don't know how many BINs I looked at just to find a few reasonably priced cards. How about instead of a 10% final sale fee, there's a 5% initial price fee and a 5% final sale fee. So if a card is initially listed at $2 and sells for $5, the total fee would be 35 cents. Likewise if a card is unreasonably listed at $100 and doesn't sell, the fee would be $5. It would at least get these clowns to reconsider their demands.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I typically check sold prices before I list an item. I feel that's the "value" of the card, I've had sellers quote BV when I inquired about a lower price. When I said others had sold for less he responded that the seller shouldn't have sold it for that. Whatever bro, "the book" might tell u something is worth 500 bucks but if someone will only pay 150, that's how much the card is actually worth

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I typically check sold prices before I list an item. I feel that's the "value" of the card, I've had sellers quote BV when I inquired about a lower price. When I said others had sold for less he responded that the seller shouldn't have sold it for that. Whatever bro, "the book" might tell u something is worth 500 bucks but if someone will only pay 150, that's how much the card is actually worth

I haven't opened a Beckett in over a decade and I'd never pay attention to someone who bases the value of their card on the Beckett BV. The 90's are over, e-bay is what sets the market value these days. It is still important when looking at sold listings to pay attention whether it sold via auction or BIN because sometimes when people sell via BIN they sell it way too low or someone pays way too much because they really, really wanted the card. Both are still useful tools.

Anyway I agree, checking sold prices is the way to go...not Beckett.

Members online

Latest posts