Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FCB Custom Cards Tournament - The Pick Wins!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Here it is 2016 and we're still talking about Mantle. 58 years after his retirement. We all see greatness and salivate looking at the Mantle signature.

In 2074 (58 years in to the future) will the Jokers still be remembered? Will a bunch of middle aged men be chasing their autographs?

I'm voting Mantle because of his baseball legend status. The Mantle card looks good, sure it resembles UD designs but that doesn't take away from the aesthetic beauty of the card.
I like the Jokers card but there are too many autographs/pics shoved in to the limited space. Again, sometimes, less is more.

Fordman

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Wow! That was a great back and forth over those cards.

Mantle took it. But, that kind of conversation and engagement is exactly what we were hoping for when we started the idea of community tournaments.

Next bracket coming soon.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Here is the current bracket:

attachment.php

For the final preliminary bracket we have a custom Grace sketch

attachment.php

Against a custom dual auto of some amazing authors

attachment.php

Voting is open until 14-Aug at 11PM ET.

Attachments

• Bracket - New.jpg
    Bracket - New.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 66
  • gracecollector - Custom.JPG
    gracecollector - Custom.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 67
  • metallicalex777 - sized.jpg
    metallicalex777 - sized.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 66

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
At first when I looked at these cards, I thought ... these are considered custom cards? I thought the Grace was a Museum sketch, and saw the Leaf logo on the dual cut. Now, I can see how they can fit though.

The Leaf dual cut is really cool. You can't go wrong with a slick Leaf border encasing 2 legendary authors. There is something neat about having signatures written from the very hands that have created countless books.

The Grace, on the other hand, is colorful and great artwork. I'm not a HUGE fan of sketches, but I do think this one is very well done. I'm voting Grace. (Besides, with this as Brad's avatar, if I didn't, it'd be like I'm voting him down while he is peering into my soul by way of Grace's caricature!)

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I wouldn't consider either of these cards "custom" as they are both done by professionals in the industry.

But I'll vote for the writers as I'd rather have that in my collection

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I wouldn't consider either of these cards "custom" as they are both done by professionals in the industry.

I may be wrong, but I think the Grace card was done by request at the National and the Leaf card was from when they did a program where you could send in auto/mem items and they would make a custom card for you.

So, professional, yes. But, if I interpreted them correctly, I would call them both custom as they were made at the request of the owner.

I don't think either are cards you could have pulled from a pack.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I may be wrong, but I think the Grace card was done by request at the National and the Leaf card was from when they did a program where you could send in auto/mem items and they would make a custom card for you.

So, professional, yes. But, if I interpreted them correctly, I would call them both custom as they were made at the request of the owner.

I don't think either are cards you could have pulled from a pack.

Makes sense to me!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
FCB Custom Cards Tournament - Bracket 4 Round 2 open until 8/14 at 11PM ET

I'll vote the dual cuts but agree these are borderline custom at best and don't seem to fit the "spirit of the bracket" and therefore am pretty confident neither get beyond the next round. Should we do a sketch card tournament the Grace should be allowed to return there and get much further though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Yeah, I submitted the Grace without really knowing the terms of the contest, it was a long time back. The Grace was a custom-made card for me. Brian Kong had a booth at the 2013 National in Chicago. He had created 70 1/1 sketch cards of popular players, and had 30 blank cardstocks that he took custom orders for. Since Grace had not had a pack issued sketch card at any time (his first and only appeared in 2016 Museum Collection), I commissioned Mr. Kong to create a custom card for me. I'm a fan of his artwork and the sketch cards he's done for Topps. I left it totally up to him what he did (creative license), only stipulation that he be pictured as a Cub. I was happy with the result!

His business card from the submission
kong.jpg

But I feel like I should withdraw from this contest. I'll let it ride so as not to disrupt the process, but no feelings hurt when I get voted out.

Wish now I had submitted one of my original customs!

zim1-sl.jpg
zim2-sl.jpg

zim3-sl.jpg
zim4-sl.jpg

zim5-sl.jpg
zim6-sl.jpg

papa_cut.jpg
papa_cut2.jpg

dualcutscustom.jpg
gracecustom.jpg

Members online