Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ARod To Play His Final Game Friday 8/12, Then Become Team Advisor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin
Yankees say A-Rod's final game is Friday, then be released as player and join front office as special advisor and instructor.

ARod.jpg

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Such an awesome deal for ARod.

He gets to do virtually nothing, and still makes all of his cash.

Good for him.

It's been a pleasure watching him play ball.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
This is just a nice way of saying you are fired but we need you to actually do something next year for all that money we owe you.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Is it because the Yankees would rather keep paying him the money specifically not to play because he's just that terrible?

The Yankees want to just release (fire) him and that means they would still have to pay him. They are spinning it in the media that he is retiring and they are just going to pay him the last year of his salary to be a special advisor when in reality they are just telling him we are not going to play you anymore

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Is it because the Yankees would rather keep paying him the money specifically not to play because he's just that terrible?
Their team is better if he doesn't play (he's what, -1 WAR or something terrible like that?). The open roster spot to them in 2017 is worth paying Arod the money now, because they are going to have to pay it regardless. I think by doing it this way they actually save on luxury tax for 2017 which is huge.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'm surprised the Yankees and AROD didnt just agree to give him AB's until he got his 700th homer and he would do this "retirement" thing after the game he got his 700th.

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
I'm surprised the Yankees and AROD didnt just agree to give him AB's until he got his 700th homer and he would do this "retirement" thing after the game he got his 700th.

The way he's hitting, it would be next season that he would get 700.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
It's a little sad that they did this with him being 4 shy of 700. I can see both sides of the argument but if I were him I would try to sign in 2018 for very cheap and see if he could potentially even surpass Ruth. With merchandise/jersey/ticket sales I doubt there's no team out there that would be willing to pick him up at a very low price.