Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do collectors shun printing plates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pander69

Apr 6, 2010
Marshall, MN
I worked as a sports writer and photographer at a paper while in college and we printed right in-house, so I was involved with the early stages if printing, so for me, I love the plates and grab them when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Kinda funny how after reading all of this i just pulled this:
TOM%20GLAVINE_zpsk1aav4rk.jpg

TOM%20GLAVINE%20BACK_zpspvsf3mww.jpg

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I love them, but I can see others' points that they are less attractive than actual cards. They are a tool used in the printing process, so they often have ink smears or scratches as they aren't made to last forever. I'm still chasing a full set - have got to 3 of 4 on one card.

I just recently discovered I was at 3 of 4 on a particular card as well... I really hope one day I can get the last plate. I think having a complete set of plates is pretty cool. Here's mine:

hollidayplates.jpg

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
From what I know about printing, and how easy it is to burn plates for something, unless I'm absolutely sure it's legit, I stay away. I see a lot of unreleased plates for Bagwell on eBay all the time. I say unreleased because they were definitely not released but that doesn't mean they are fakes. But some of those sellers tend to have a lot of plates for sale and they either worked as a printer, knew someone who did, or they have access to make plates.

They usually recycle plates from what I've seen. They are made from aluminum. But they usually take an image, burn negatives, and then transfer that image onto a plate. So, someone who worked at a shop could theoretically do something like that with a finished product(i.e., take a card and make plates of it). Would they make a ton of money? Probably not. But those plates are huge and would hold a lot of images so if you look at how many could be made, someone somewhere might try it. And those stickers topps makes for the back are really plain Jane so. I much prefer the framed types.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
There are too many of them, and I simply don't see the appeal.
Perhaps they were interesting many years ago, but like many things, the novelty has run its course.

Members online

No members online now.