Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A Very Mouschi Contest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
[EMAIL CHIME]
Hello Tanner, I ran across this Jose Canseco card, and was wondering if you would be interested....

[EMAIL CHIME]
Hey, Tanner! A friend of mine just pulled this Canseco! You can email him at...

[EMAIL CHIME]
So, you are the crazy moustache guy that makes customs and loves Canseco, right? If so, I saw this Canseco get opened in a break....

----------------

I get messages like these every day. The only way it could possibly be any better is if more of you did it! I want to SINCERELY thank everyone who has ever even tried to put me in contact with someone who may have a card I want for my collection.

SOOOO....I want to start up a contest as a thank you to all those who have helped me.

I'm putting this in the baseball forum, because this is really my "home" in this forum. I am all about baseball, and 95% of my work is baseball related.

Beginning tonight, and ending 9/16/16 at 9:21pm CST.

Respond to this thread with
- A character (you, family member, baseball player, actor, etc.) you would like a custom of, and why.
- Something about you that very few people know.
- Someone you would nominate to be picked, and why

I am not sure if I'm going to pick one person, or five people. Heck, I'm not sure if I'm going to pick the person who is nominated, or the person who nominates!

The winner(s) will receive a custom card made by yours truly.

Annndddd.....GO!

This contest has been posted on a few of my favorite places on the web, but I'll post the winners (without mentioning the forum names unless they are from here) on this thread.

THE CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED.

Thank you everyone for participating! I'll post the cards I make right here as I go...

First is stone193 who wanted a 1963 Fleer Mickey Mantle, because one doesn't exist:
mantle.jpg

----------------

George_Calfas is the next winner!

ateam.jpg

------------------

Glen87 is the next winner!

Here is me having a laughing fit over getting cat fur in the mail. around the 1:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2_mDCr0I9E

Here is the finished product! Dual Relic Famous Feline Collection with Foil!

cat.jpg

---------------

Today is 40-40 Day, and Topps did not give me my wish of making a Topps NOW Throwback card for Canseco, so I made my own. Looks like I'm the next winner of this contest! :)

4040.jpg

---------------

In this Sunday-Special edition of The Mouschi Contest: Winners, we have a digital-only exclusive. The winner: TKRAFT24.

He had initially requested an eyebrow / moustache swap of this fellow:

sammy1.jpg

This is for you, Tkraft24 - enjoy!

sammy2.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Here is a summary of the highlight of my weekend, as expressed in a Topps NOW card:

dinner.jpg

Anyhoo...RandyB is the next winner! He wanted a card done of his step-father. So, here you go Randy! It is a mini style card in a frame. I hope you and he enjoy it.

billy.jpg

--------------

The next winner is Phillies_Joe. He was nominated by several folks, and had me do a custom of his family. In addition to that, he sent me an autographed baseball of Aaron Nola and some money to do a booklet. Here is the final result!

cheesman4.jpg

I liked it so much, I made something similar out of a game used baseball I had for my own collection:

canseco2.jpg

-----------------------

This isn't a part of the contest, but while I'm waiting for the last 2 people to send me material, I thought I'd post my latest project: 2007 Barry Bonds Home Run History Extension Set: 757-762

I did these, but the write up is somewhere near the end of this thread!

bonds757.jpg

bondssuper.jpg

bondsall.jpg

bondsback.jpg

------------------

Congratulations to everyone who has survived this week and made it to the weekend! The next to last contest winner is now wrapped up, so we have one more to go, though I'm not sure when that will be.

Before I do the reveal, I figured I'd show off a fun project that was very challenging to get the look right ... T206 style. Dboneesq is putting together the T206 New York set. Yes, a Bronx Bombers collector before they were the Yankees. They were actually the Highlanders. The twist? He is a Mantle fan. The problem? The Mick was born about 20 years too late.

This project was challenging because I had to get Mantle's head on an existing Highlanders body ... in addition to putting a fitting hat. Here they are: The red and blue back variations!

mantle2.jpg

Now, for the next to last contest winner reveal: A_Pharis! He both entered and was nominated.

He sent me over this:
hoyt4.jpg

So I did this:
hoyt3.jpg

and made the back look like this:
hoyt2.jpg

Then the front like this: (ooooOOoooohhh purty blue foil!!!!)
hoyt1.jpg

It will be out to you soon, brother. I hope you like it!
------------

The contest is officially over! The final card has been made.

front-final.jpg

20161117_114454.jpg

To read more about this, go here: http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...schi-Contest?p=2410265&viewfull=1#post2410265

THE END

Last edited:

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
1. Brooks Robinson - Hero growing up in Baltimore. Of course favorite team is the Orioles so a lifer when it comes to the team.
2. On Sunday's teach middle school @ church.
3. Andrew (mchenrycards) - Writes some great articles and enjoy his postings on photos.

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Kenny Lofton - My PC guy. He signed baseballs for myself and my 2 brothers back in 1994 at the then new Jacobs field. One of my all time favorite days at a ball park, been a fan ever since.

My other hobby is woodworking.

psj - He sent me a nice low #'d Lofton when he first joined the board for free.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Victor Cruz - PC guy/Logan - my son/Mets - PC team - so hard to decide, lol

I'm pretty open, what don't people know about me? Umm...Im an Eagle Scout?

And I'd nominate [MENTION=11924]AnthonyCorona[/MENTION], cuz I'm pretty sure he nominated me for another amazing thing on here in the past which was amazing and I've written about before, plus his work with the large collection he acquired recently, and he's always positive here and represents the forum well! There's a lot of other very worthy people here too, but it said just nominate one...

Last edited:

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
* Rick Monday, because he saved the American flag from being burned by two protesters on April 25, 1976. Side note: it was pretty hard not giving "Brett Butler" as a knee-jerk response!
* I have been a volunteer youth leader for junior high and high school students for the past 17 years or so
* [MENTION=2289]Zan[/MENTION], because I admire both his Hank Greenberg collection and the joy he gets from it.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Victor Cruz - PC guy/Logan - my son/Mets - PC team - so hard to decide, lol

I'm pretty open, what don't people know about me? Umm...Im an Eagle Scout?

And I'd nominate [MENTION=11924]AnthonyCorona[/MENTION], cuz I'm pretty sure he nominated me for another amazing thing on here in the past which was amazing and I've written about before, plus his work with the large collection he acquired recently, and he's always positive here and represents the forum well! There's a lot of other very worthy people here too, but it said just nominate one...

I appreciate that but all my positive posts are sarcastic ��

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I would love a custom of my 6 yo daughter (with me). Right now, she is still daddy's girl. She sits with me and watches games. She looks at my cards. She is my everything. But, she will grow up and these days will only be fond memories. I would love to have a card to remember her the way she is right now (just don't tell my two teen age sons).

Something very few people know about me...this is a hard one as I don't keep many secrets. My real world friends don't know much about my card hobby, and vice versa. Few people have crossed over for me. I think the only person on here who has is Moxacaine.

I would nominate AmishDave and Metallicalex. They both helped me on here when I was new and increased my knowledge of the hobby (although I doubt they know it). Given the chance I would enjoy treating them to a beer or four. Throw Mox and TonsofCommons in there and we could have a party. Of course, then I would add Andrew for his break, Gilmo for birthing the place, and and and....

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
* Rick Monday, because he saved the American flag from being burned by two protesters on April 25, 1976. Side note: it was pretty hard not giving "Brett Butler" as a knee-jerk response!
* I have been a volunteer youth leader for junior high and high school students for the past 17 years or so
* @Zan, because I admire both his Hank Greenberg collection and the joy he gets from it.
Thanks Geordie, always love the additions you make to your collection too! You're a wealth of knowledge, we are fortunate to have you in our community!

EtherealSOC

Dec 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
David Justice - my PC guy, and I've been dreaming of a Mouschi custom for a long time!

I've written two novels and am working on my first baseball biography.

@U_L_Washington_Rookie because he was a very prompt and generous forum member.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
- A character (you, family member, baseball player, actor, etc.) you would like a custom of, and why.
This is very specific, but I'd love a mouschi custom of a Don Zimmer card with an embedded tantalum medical screw in a window box. I'd supply the screw. It would be of the type that Zimmer had 4 of implanted in his skull after being beaned in 1953. Yes, I'm weird.

My grandma inspired my collecting fever. She gave me her stamp collection when I showed an interest in it, and we collected a few years together. My dad found this ironic since she was the same woman who threw out his Mickey Mantle card collection when he went into the army in 1966!

- Someone you would nominate to be picked, and why.
George_Calfas - he's a good guy, and I think it would be awesome if he'd give you a shard of pottery or another small artifact from his archaeological field work to make into a custom card. I think that could turn into something very special and meaningful to him.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
- A character (you, family member, baseball player, actor, etc.) you would like a custom of, and why: Felix Hernandez. My PC hometown hero and my collection is finally worthy of a Mouschi Gem :)
- Something about you that very few people know: I can solve a Rubik's cube under 2.5 minutes every time (definitely not fast compared to the peeps that take that thing seriously).
- Someone you would nominate to be picked, and why: [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] - He is a stand up guy, a great friend, and has some need memorabilia pieces that would look great in a custom even though he wouldn't dare take a knife/ax/pair of scissors to.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Great entries guys! One thing: if you have been nominated, it would be helpful to post up an entry yourself if for anything to show you have interest in a custom. I definitely don't want to pick someone who isn't interested to begin with!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Andre Dawson. You can never have enough mouschi customs of your PC guy.

I used to fly airplanes when I was in high school

- Someone you would nominate to be picked, and why [MENTION=1794]A_Pharis[/MENTION] because he introduced me to this awesome board and you have the moustache and he has the beard

A_Pharis

-I'd pick Hoyt Wilhelm. I've always enjoyed watching that deadly knuckler throw, and he's my #1 non-Louisiana guy. Plus, I have some jumbo relics just dying to be cut up.

-Something few people know? Hmmm. I'm a bottom to top IT guy. My brother and I run a managed services company, but I secretly wish I were [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION]

-I nominate [MENTION=2413]MojoDan[/MENTION]. He's one of the most generous and caring guys that I know, and he really deserves some good going back at him.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Hannible Smith; you can always find the A-Team in a group of four. There are three guys that I have been to hell and back with and we indeed fit the mold. In fact one now is a helicopter pilot, one is a fomer football player, another always wears nice shoes, and there is myself.
I more than doubled my high school GPA when I went to college. I departed for the Army at the age of 17 and my first day as a free man was my 32nd Birthday. I saw college as a job, gaining a BA in both Math and Anthropology in two years, a Master's in 2 years and defended my PhD 2 1/2 years later.
- Someone you would nominate to be picked, and why
I thought long and hard about this question as there are MANY people that I would like to mention here. With that said I will nominate @metallicalex777. Alex and I talk on the phone with great regularity and seldom about cards. He is a dedicated husband and father and has really made a wonderful life for himself through years of hard work and dedication personally and professionally....he is a great inspriation.
@gracecollector....thanks for the mention, and if you can strike a deal for a print run of cards I will gladly supply the artifacts.

Last edited:

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Thank you for your entries! This is a multi-forum contest, so I'm going to take the next few days to see who should win. When this happens, I'll most likely post in my next article!

It has truly been fun learning the little known facts about all of you.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Rather than start a new thread on the winners, I figured I'd just update this here and slow-roll it until each one is made. I'll update the original post as well, to show the winners.

My wife had a hand in selecting who should be selected, and why. It was VERY difficult to not pick some vs. others, because frankly, I'd like to see a custom done for almost ALL of the requests, but alas, these take a boat load of time.

Up first: The user @stone193.
He was an easy person to select. Why? Because he was nominated over and over again on one of the forums I frequent.

I reached out to Mike first, to see if he even wanted a custom card, and he said absolutely. He shared an idea with me: A 1963 Fleer Mickey Mantle. The '63 Fleer set is iconic, and has a cult following in spite of several BIG name hall of famers not making it into the set. The 1963 Fleer set consists of 66 cards, and ... you guessed it. Mantle was not one of them!

Well, now he is.

So, Mike. Here you go! Your custom '63 Fleer Mantle. It is on its way!

mantle.jpg

The next one coming up soon.

Members online