User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who has the largest player collection (most different cards) on this board?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigunitcards View Post
    1of1s and Moments & Milestones affect these numbers to a large degree. With my guy if you remove 1/1s, it's closer to 8k than the 11k listed. Then if you remove things #/99 or less it goes down to 5.5k or so.

https://www.beckett.com/search/?vinta...=185223&page=1

• Rodriguez, Alex(20405)
    • Griffey Jr., Ken(16357)
    • Ripken Jr., Cal(16153)
    • Jeter, Derek(15534)
    • Pujols, Albert(14514)
    • Clemens, Roger(13503)
    • Jones, Chipper(12951)
    • Thomas, Frank BB(12257)
    • Bonds, Barry(12202)
    • Ryan, Nolan(12162)
    • Maddux, Greg(12099)
    • Guerrero, Vladimir(11827)
    • Mantle, Mickey(11683)
    • Johnson, Randy(11528)
    • Suzuki, Ichiro(11089)
    • Ramirez, Manny(10703)
    • Piazza, Mike(10482)
    Ok, but keep in mind, guys like A-Rod and Mantle have the home run cards from topps(2006 for Mantle and 07 for A-Rod) where there is a card for each home run they had hit. Plus guys like Griffey and Ripken have their own little sets(UD made one for Griffey and Fleer made one for Ripken off the top of my head). Hell, Nolan Ryan has the Pacific Heat sets and the upper deck looney toons stuff(comic ball I think).
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to see how many different gu cards or auto cards people have. The Chavez collector used to have like 300 different autos if I remember correctly. That's insane!
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main collection is Tim Wakefield so I can't touch total number or things like that but the Beckett registry has his total number at 799, I have 604 different. That includes the 1/1s. I have 36 autos out of 41 and 41 out of 60 game used. At my last check its 76% of all cards and 90% of non 1/1s. The total numbers aren't nearly as high but the depth is pretty solid. When I started years ago I thought it might be easier because not as many people collect him but in a lot of ways it makes it harder.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one area that I could make up ground, at least with autos. I have a lot of dupes though, but have to be over 1000 Garvey certified auto cards by now and that doesn't start to count the TTM/IP and signatures on other items.

Quote Originally Posted by predatorkj View Post
    I'd be interested to see how many different gu cards or auto cards people have. The Chavez collector used to have like 300 different autos if I remember correctly. That's insane!
    The number of cards issued is almost certainly related to player popularity, and thus price. The more cards of your player, the more you have to spend and the more competition you have for most. I like to see solid collections of lesser collected guys (like Deshaies or Wakefield) that are damn near complete. Depending on the guy and when he played, there can be some real tough cards that won't break the bank, IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. There was a guy who collected Jon Matlack and had all but 2 or 3 of the 110 or so cards made. Is it as exciting as seeing Griffey patches or Ripken autos? No, but it shows a true dedication and love and not always a fat wallet guy that anyone with money can replicate.

Yep, give me a dedicated small market player collector over one of the many "20-50% complete collection" collectors of mega superstars any day.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there you have it. Even though Beckett is missing a lot of cards, they're not missing 4000 more cards for A-Rod than they are for Griffey. So A-Rod has the biggest checklist of all. I was surprised it wasn't Griffey, but his 22-year career started in 1989, which was before the number of card issues each year really started to proliferate. A-Rod's 22 year career started in 1994 and ended this year - so he maxed out on potential card issues. And had better numbers overall.

1of1s and Moments & Milestones affect these numbers to a large degree. With my guy if you remove 1/1s, it's closer to 8k than the 11k listed. Then if you remove things #/99 or less it goes down to 5.5k or so.

• Rodriguez, Alex(20405)
    • Ripken Jr., Cal(16153)
    • Jeter, Derek(15534)
    • Pujols, Albert(14514)
    • Clemens, Roger(13503)
    • Jones, Chipper(12951)
    • Bonds, Barry(12202)
    • Ryan, Nolan(12162)
    • Maddux, Greg(12099)
    • Mantle, Mickey(11683)
    • Johnson, Randy(11528)
    • Suzuki, Ichiro(11089)
    • Ramirez, Manny(10703)
    • Piazza, Mike(10482)

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know why threads like this (and the 1500+ list thread) cause people to try to compare whose "type" of collection is better. Everyone has their own style or niche. Someone please start a "80%+..." thread and share those high percentage collections in its own thread. That would be cool. I'd check it out, and I would dream of someday owning 80% of the Gwynn cards. I promise I wont pop in and complain about it!
    This thread is specifically about "who has the highest number"... seems easy enough.
    That being said, for me personally, I cannot even fathom 8100+ Cal Ripken cards, especially seeing how an avg. Ripken is 2x to 3x (and higher for rarer cards) of what a similar Gwynn goes for. My list: 1. @Jesus, 2. Ghandi, 3. [MENTION=2078]bigalbert[/MENTION], 4. Martin Luther King, Jr., and 5. [MENTION=4293]patrick182[/MENTION]

*edit to add tag to Jesus, he may be reading this...
    Last edited by Gwynn545; 09-29-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn545 View Post
    I passed 5000 two years ago at least, so it has not been updated in a while. I am around 5600 Gwynns now, could be a while to get to 6,000...
    That's awesome, congrats! Looks like a sig update is in order.
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

blueberry_12
     Big_Daddy_MC
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need four more Justice cards to have 1800 unique ones, along with 25,000+ doubles. That's not bad considering he doesn't have more than 2000 unique cards made.

I also have 990 unique Frank Thomas cards, which is cool because I never really collected him on purpose, I just pulled his stuff in everything I opened and it was always around in shows.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, never have. Not sure how that came about. I do have a few hundred but I'm certain nothing you would need.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanlasttime View Post
    Did or do you collect Juan Gonzalez? If you do and have any hard to get dupes you're interested in selling please pm me....

Thanks...
    Barry Bonds PC 5,000+ different and counting! Check out my Barry Bonds Collection on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/weight333

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great point. 90% is incredible! Starting in 2004, Bonds had steep decline in card production due to his licensing agreement. From 2005 to 2007, Topps was the only producer of his cards. Not until 2015 when Panini began including him in their products did he have any new issues. I'm very happy it worked out this way because I was able to play catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by MansGame View Post
    Some of you guys have incredible collections... if you have that many different cards of a single plays, wow, just wow! Very impressive.

I think it would be interesting to also see % of the outstanding cards of a player too because some players just don't have that many outstanding cards... use me for example, Albert Belle only has 2,880 cards out there, so I would never get to 5,000 or 6,000 or 7,000 cards... I do however have ~90% of those, which I think is a pretty impressive in itself.
    Barry Bonds PC 5,000+ different and counting! Check out my Barry Bonds Collection on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/weight333

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonds actually wasn't in this product. Thank Jesus! I think he must have been scratched at the last minute as I have a M&M promotional poster showing a Bonds card.

• Rodriguez, Alex(20405)
    • Ripken Jr., Cal(16153)
    • Jeter, Derek(15534)
    • Pujols, Albert(14514)
    • Clemens, Roger(13503)
    • Jones, Chipper(12951)
    • Bonds, Barry(12202)
    • Ryan, Nolan(12162)
    • Maddux, Greg(12099)
    • Mantle, Mickey(11683)
    • Johnson, Randy(11528)
    • Suzuki, Ichiro(11089)
    • Ramirez, Manny(10703)
    • Piazza, Mike(10482)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about the regional/oddball type issues. They are a lot of fun. They can be even more difficult to track down then an auto or patch card yet when you find one, they may only cost a few bucks due to lack of public knowledge or interest. Two of my top Bonds wants are 1993 California Highway Patrol (I've seen one about 10 years ago) and 1993 Taco Bell Stadium handout (I was told this is a 5x7). I have a 1993 QVC promotional post card that was sent through the mail to advertise a Bonds signing on their channel. I picked it up in '01 on eBay during the height of Bonds' popularity. I imagine most went straight in the trash as junk mail the day they came out of the mail box.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    That is one area that I could make up ground, at least with autos. I have a lot of dupes though, but have to be over 1000 Garvey certified auto cards by now and that doesn't start to count the TTM/IP and signatures on other items.

The number of cards issued is almost certainly related to player popularity, and thus price. The more cards of your player, the more you have to spend and the more competition you have for most. I like to see solid collections of lesser collected guys (like Deshaies or Wakefield) that are damn near complete. Depending on the guy and when he played, there can be some real tough cards that won't break the bank, IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. There was a guy who collected Jon Matlack and had all but 2 or 3 of the 110 or so cards made. Is it as exciting as seeing Griffey patches or Ripken autos? No, but it shows a true dedication and love and not always a fat wallet guy that anyone with money can replicate.

Yep, give me a dedicated small market player collector over one of the many "20-50% complete collection" collectors of mega superstars any day.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weight333 View Post
    I agree about the regional/oddball type issues. They are a lot of fun. They can be even more difficult to track down then an auto or patch card yet when you find one, they may only cost a few bucks due to lack of public knowledge or interest. Two of my top Bonds wants are 1993 California Highway Patrol (I've seen one about 10 years ago) and 1993 Taco Bell Stadium handout (I was told this is a 5x7). I have a 1993 QVC promotional post card that was sent through the mail to advertise a Bonds signing on their channel. I picked it up in '01 on eBay during the height of Bonds' popularity. I imagine most went straight in the trash as junk mail the day they came out of the mail box.
    100% agree

Still looking for the 1988 Jones Photo and 1989 Astros Smokey
    RoncalliJetsForever9096822
    HOFer Craig Biggio-1469/4879-29% Craig Biggio Card Site
    HOFer
    Derrick Brooks-260/773-33% Derrick Brooks Card Site

Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 1,012 Dawson autos with 700 different and 1,234 Dawson memorabilia cards with 690 different
    Want to buy anything Andre Dawson - Twitter @The8Hawk8
    159,911 Total Cards, 4,181 Different Cards, 1,098 Autographs, 355 1/1s, 174 RCs, 373 Graded, 187 Packs, 6 Buttons, 1,282 Mem Cards, 2,666 SN Cards
    28 Cameos, 206 Mentions, 337 Checklists
    Also collecting Drew Brees with my son

Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My totals are in my sig. As far as percentage, closest I'm at on that is for Jim Deshaies. I need like two cards. That's it. Dude doesn't have but like 200 but these last oddballs are freaking hard to find. Like they don't exist " hard to find".
    @MansGame, you'll have way more cards to collect because if Belle is like the rest of our players, topps will make about 10,000 low numbered auto patches a year. At that point your wallet will hurt and you'll be scratching your head wondering how they got all this new game used material for the cards...
    Well, knock on wood, they didn't produce any cards of his from 2001 through 2011 when they brought him back by the truck load... that is until 2015 when they started to slow down and had virtually nothing in 2016, so he might be being phased out again... never know... I'm still waiting on some redemption's that are a few years old, so hopefully they fill those before pumping out new stuff.
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Entire Private Collection: 2,627/2,891 - 90.9%

***Always hunting Albert Belle 1998 Tek Diffractors and 1999 Tek Golds***

Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast