User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Hall of Fame ballot includes Will Clark, Albert Belle, McGwire, Hershiser, Baines & Selig

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people already subscribe to the viewpoint that you're either HOF worthy or you're not. Now not only do you get 10 years of being on the ballot, plus the VC (which I'm mostly for, they've inducted some very historically significant players over the years), you now also have this committee. The decision on the bulk of those players was already made, not sure why they're having another go at it. Someone like McGwire I guess I can understand because of the controversy with PEDs and Steinbrenner who was an iconic owner and figure but I'm not sure how someone like Will Clark makes this list.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fordman View Post
    Pete Rose should be mentioned here as well. Sounds like this is the HOF circumventing it's own rules and getting players in with know 'issues'. I dont believe Pete Rose will ever see his plaque in the HOf while he's alive.
    I agree that he should be mentioned, and that he won't get in soon. I sense that the hall views those who used PEDs in the 90s/00s VERY differently than it views anyone connected to gambling. These committees are for the benefit of the former, the latter remained damned.

Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    A lot of people already subscribe to the viewpoint that you're either HOF worthy or you're not.
    Yes, a lot of people do subscribe to this viewpoint; the HOF itself does not. Fans often revere the hall and forget that it is a business that is constantly trying to stay relevant by keeping the conversation going. Controversy is good for them, as is a steady stream of new inductees, both of which these new committees will provide regardless of whatever the prevailing winds make the writers do with their collective vote.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Bombjack View Post
    Yes, a lot of people do subscribe to this viewpoint; the HOF itself does not. Fans often revere the hall and forget that it is a business that is constantly trying to stay relevant by keeping the conversation going. Controversy is good for them, as is a steady stream of new inductees, both of which these new committees will provide regardless of whatever the prevailing winds make the writers do with their collective vote.
    That's true enough but the HOF is the one entity that's supposed to uphold the highest integrity baseball has to offer through thick and thin. I'm not directing that at the PED users necessarily, I just don't see how there needs to be a different committee to evaluate the eligibility of someone like Will Clark.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [MENTION=6317]homerun28aa[/MENTION] , that's enough damn Will Clark bashing for today 😉

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RStadlerASU22 View Post
    @homerun28aa , that's enough damn Will Clark bashing for today 

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Sorry, didn't mean to single him out in fact I think a couple of the other guys on the list would fit the same logic. I just personally think that when it comes to the HOF the "smell test" is accurate a very, very large percentage of the time and when it isn't we still have 10 opportunities for that person to get in and then we have the VC. I'm skeptical about this one

arturohillo
     arturohillo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Lofton retired in 2007.
    This particular ballot is for players who retired 15+ years ago and whose prominant years are from 1988 on. (It says all of this in the article.)

As for Rose, Earlier eras' ballots will happen in succeeding years, so I'd assume he'd be on one of those.
    Negative. Banned players are also banned from the HOF
    Edgar Gonzalez Collection: - the 1/1's: 108/111 (97.3%) Have 12 1/1s out of 29
    Jorge Cantu Collection: 487 / 688 (70.78%), 58 1/1s (14 non plates)
    - the 1/1's: 429/443 (96.84%)
    Total Mexican Collection: 4,326
    Mexican autographs: 129/130 and on baseballs 118/130

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pure and simple, this is nothing more than a way to allow the PED users to get another shot. And one will get in which opens the collective flood gates.

I really don't care any more. Let them in. Just know what they are/were. But they still represent what the game was about during the 90's.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

MaineMule
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how I missed this announcement......it's Big George's time!!

Is there any way Piniella, Schuerholz, or Selig make it??

Baseball Hall-of-Fame Autograph and Vintage Ted Williams Collector

Link to MaineMule's Collection and More........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12