User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hall of Fame ballot includes Will Clark, Albert Belle, McGwire, Hershiser, Baines & Selig

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Hall of Fame ballot includes Will Clark, Albert Belle, McGwire, Hershiser, Baines & Selig

- Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Mark McGwire is among several recent stars who are getting another swing at the Hall of Fame.

McGwire joins Harold Baines, Albert Belle, Will Clark, Orel Hershiser, Davey Johnson, Lou Piniella, John Schuerholz, Bud Selig and George Steinbrenner on the "Today's Game Era" ballot to be considered for election to Cooperstown in December.

The announcement was made Monday by the Baseball Hall of Fame. The ballot is part of changes to the election process announced by the Hall's board of directors in July. It includes five players, three executives and two managers who made their biggest impact from 1988 on.

Voting is Dec. 5 during the winter meetings in Maryland. To be enshrined, candidates must receive votes on at least 75 percent of the ballots cast by the 16-member Today's Game Era Committee.

Those voters, appointed by the Hall of Fame board, will be announced this fall.

The Era Committee process provides an avenue for Hall of Fame consideration to managers, umpires and executives, as well as players retired for more than 15 seasons -- like McGwire. Today's Game Era was one of four Eras Committees outlined in July when the Hall detailed its latest set of election changes.

Finalists on the ballot revealed Monday were selected by the Historical Overview Committee appointed by the BBWAA, made up of 11 veteran historians.

Any candidates elected Dec. 5 would be inducted into the Hall of Fame on July 30 next year along with any players voted in by the BBWAA. Those results will be announced Jan. 18, 2017.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. The crucial next step is selecting the committee, which will be tasked with deciding whether or not to enshrine PED users.

My gut says McGwire has to wait a title longer, probably the next "Today's Game" committee, but those 90s PED users are getting in eventually no doubt in my mind.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I love Will Clark, I'm not sure why he is on the ballot... I think he got like 5% or less the first time around.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not like at all. What's the point of this? There are executives and umpires in the veterans committee ballot, right? What's the point of putting these players on the ballot again if they gave spent 15 years without 75%, or got less than. 5% of votes.

Also, if this ballot is happening where is Raphael Palmeiro. Statistically had a better career than any other player on that list

dsj51
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I dont understand this either. Everyone of those players have already spent time on the ballots, and didnt receive enough votes to stay on, or even get close to getting in. Nothing new has happened with them, so why have them in a special ballot??

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan View Post
    Do not like at all. What's the point of this? There are executives and umpires in the veterans committee ballot, right? What's the point of putting these players on the ballot again if they gave spent 15 years without 75%, or got less than. 5% of votes.

Also, if this ballot is happening where is Raphael Palmeiro. Statistically had a better career than any other player on that list
    The point is that the Hall can decide when PED users will be enshrined, sanctimonious writers be damned.

I agree about Raffy. Appears he is being punished for actually failing a test. McGwire and Bonds will pave the way in for him eventually.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psj View Post
    Yea, I dont understand this either. Everyone of those players have already spent time on the ballots, and didnt receive enough votes to stay on, or even get close to getting in. Nothing new has happened with them, so why have them in a special ballot??
    It isn't obvious?

GO ROCKIES!

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I see the point of doing it like this, especially to Zan's point if we leave off some it seems even more shady in my eyes. I think Palmeiro is far more controversial because despite all he did on the diamond I only see him waving his finger like a d-bag on capitol hill knowing he was a liar. Having said that open this thing up to everyone whos off the ballot or why even bother. Also what about Alan Trammel? I'm not sure I'd vote for him but in my mind he is at least as deserving to be considered as Will Clark.

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan View Post
    Also, if this ballot is happening where is Raphael Palmeiro.

"players retired for more than 15 seasons"

his last game was in 2005....not eligible for this yet....
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    Also what about Alan Trammel?

not 100% certain , but i think he is in one of the other 3 veteran oversight era groupings .....don't recall all the details , but i do recall reading about the upcoming changes and reclassification of the eras some time last year....
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by game****fanatic View Post
    not 100% certain , but i think he is in one of the other 3 veteran oversight era groupings .....don't recall all the details , but i do recall reading about the upcoming changes and reclassification of the eras some time last year....
    I suppose that makes sense for trammel and the 15 years for palmier, but doesn't it all feel like we are overcomplicating a "fairly simple" thought process?? PEDs really screwed with this whole era. Either someone passes "the smell test" or they don't. Trammel, for example, had zero link to PEDs and he had his 15 chances. It still feels like it's too soon for second chances for the actual PED group but maybe I'm just bitter from being a devoted bonds fan for so many years to find out it was "kind of" a sham.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like this either.

JayBruceFan32
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete Rose should be mentioned here as well. Sounds like this is the HOF circumventing it's own rules and getting players in with know 'issues'. I dont believe Pete Rose will ever see his plaque in the HOf while he's alive. I'm wondering how Willie Mays and Hank Aaron will react to this new committee as they've been outspoken about players with issues getting in to the HOF.

Fordman
    Last edited by fordman; 10-04-2016 at 05:27 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Kenny Lofton? Come on.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fordman View Post
    Pete Rose should be mentioned here as well. Sounds like this is the HOF circumventing it's own rules and getting players in with know 'issues'.
    Quote Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
    No Kenny Lofton? Come on.
    Lofton retired in 2007.
    This particular ballot is for players who retired 15+ years ago and whose prominant years are from 1988 on. (It says all of this in the article.)

As for Rose, Earlier eras' ballots will happen in succeeding years, so I'd assume he'd be on one of those.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast