User Tag List

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast

Thread: The Radicards Thread

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear the points you guys are making, and from my viewpoint you're both right. These games are ridiculous, and these sellers asking the moon for cards - including those with much lower proven sales history - are delusional. I think the key point is to remember that with these sellers, their priority is not to sell these cards.

What that priority is, who really knows, ask their therapists . But for me, I equate it to people with 900 tinder likes who are still wearing out their index fingers swiping left and right. It's not about meeting people, it's about looking for validation of self or some other disorder.

Now and then I've looked at the sales history of these hostage holders, and it's revealing. They do sell cards, and the sold prices are always 85% of their asking prices (or whatever). But the number of cards sold is low. Maybe they think they are realizing the greatest return by holding onto these cards until they get their 85%, but I seriously doubt it. Anyone in sales knows that the point of selling things is to sell things. Of course you can't give them away, but you also can't hold onto every card hoping for that 1 in a million buyer. They have huge inventories of awesome cards, priced at astronomical prices, with ebay listings set to infinite repeat.

And the little games that these sellers play with their "original" asking prices of say $1000, but immediately "marked down" to $400...well that is also revealing. Anyone who does that little sleight of hand simply so they can say "60% off" is not really the greatest seller.

So yeah. These kinds of games really blow. But there's no point in making a reasonable offer on any of these cards even if it's backed up by previous sales prices. Anyone who lists a card at 10x its market price and plays little games with it is not the kind of person who will accept an offer at 10% of asking, regardless of what the markets says it's worth.
    Last edited by banjar; 09-05-2019 at 04:56 AM.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chappelle! I miss that guy. It's like he just lost his fastball and disappeared. Kinda like Chris Sale
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

@radicards
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this video, we discuss two Mark McGwire 2019 Allen and Ginter cards, and an Andrew Luck 2013 Panini Crusade Purple parallel. https://bit.ly/2khSSTZ
    Contact Patrick | Owner, Radicards™ - radicards.com
    FB Page | FB Group | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube
    Try our Fitted Toploader Bags
    Frank Thomas Collector: Always collecting high-end '90's & early '00's
    Current count of unique Frank Thomas cards: 7100+ | See the collection here.

@radicards
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    I hear the points you guys are making, and from my viewpoint you're both right. These games are ridiculous, and these sellers asking the moon for cards - including those with much lower proven sales history - are delusional. I think the key point is to remember that with these sellers, their priority is not to sell these cards.

You nailed it with that statement. I know exactly the type of sellers to which you're referring. Thankfully, I have every Frank Thomas card these sellers have listed. In observance of the absolutely ludicrous BIN prices, I've accepted that the listing interest of said sellers exists solely for exhibition, not sales.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, you dog! I wish I had all the Alomars those guys are "selling". But sadly I still see their refreshed listings in my searches, glancing just to see if they've come down to the fixed threshold for each card that I'm willing to pay. It seems like some of them are gradually dropping a bit in price, but even if that's true it feels like an asymptotic curve, so it may never actually reach that threshold

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we just need to start listing vintage snowmobiles at a 700% markup and see if anyone gets upset.

@radicards
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVHaste View Post
    I guess we just need to start listing vintage snowmobiles at a 700% markup and see if anyone gets upset.
    This.

@radicards
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a review of 1999 Finest Team Finest baseball cards. These 6 cards could take years to pull together. Read about them here. https://bit.ly/2knmDmk

@radicards
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of us are aware of the 1992 Donruss Elite Cal Ripken Jr. AU/5000 but have you seen this version of it? https://bit.ly/2m7fZRu
    Last edited by patrick182; 09-22-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd probably need to know how the cards were made back the to know for sure, but my assumption is this (and this could be way wrong too):

Cal was given 5000 cards to sign, maybe even a few extras in case he messed up a few. All of them were unsigned initially and here is where I could be way off, none of them were serialized yet. He signed the 5000 copoies and then those were serialized.

The extra unsigned cards were possibly held back as replacement cards or maybe they were in fact proofs. I have grown less fascinated with these types of cards because the background is so questionable. There are enough stories where highly scarce cards that were pulled or not issued ended up in the hands of a single person. A savvy person would then slowly release them to maximize their profits, but sometimes tey just get sloppy and word gets out as to how many they have.

One such story that I can bear witness to is the case of the 1992 University of Washington Huskies Football set. Billy Joe Hobert was apparently initially included, but the cards ended up being pulled after his NCAA scandal broke that year. I came to know that one person that had ALL of the cards that had been pulled. As I noted, he was very slowly releasing them to maintain their scarcity and higher value. The cards do exist and they are no more scarce than any other card from the set except that this person had them all. Eventually they will either hit the market in a similiar way (slowly and expensive), they will all hit at once or they will be lost forever if this person does not see to it that they are passed along to someone after they no longer are alive or own them.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick182 View Post
    Most of us are aware of the 1992 Donruss Elite Cal Ripken Jr. AU/5000 but have you seen this version of it? https://bit.ly/2m6lCPO

@radicards
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    You'd probably need to know how the cards were made back the to know for sure, but my assumption is this (and this could be way wrong too):

Cal was given 5000 cards to sign, maybe even a few extras in case he messed up a few. All of them were unsigned initially and here is where I could be way off, none of them were serialized yet. He signed the 5000 copoies and then those were serialized.

The extra unsigned cards were possibly held back as replacement cards or maybe they were in fact proofs. I have grown less fascinated with these types of cards because the background is so questionable. There are enough stories where highly scarce cards that were pulled or not issued ended up in the hands of a single person. A savvy person would then slowly release them to maximize their profits, but sometimes tey just get sloppy and word gets out as to how many they have.

One such story that I can bear witness to is the case of the 1992 University of Washington Huskies Football set. Billy Joe Hobert was apparently initially included, but the cards ended up being pulled after his NCAA scandal broke that year. I came to know that one person that had ALL of the cards that had been pulled. As I noted, he was very slowly releasing them to maintain their scarcity and higher value. The cards do exist and they are no more scarce than any other card from the set except that this person had them all. Eventually they will either hit the market in a similiar way (slowly and expensive), they will all hit at once or they will be lost forever if this person does not see to it that they are passed along to someone after they no longer are alive or own them.
    I appreciate the time you took to comment on this.

I've amended the article with a section that covers one of those claims. Find the additional content below the Instagram image. https://bit.ly/2m7fZRu
    Last edited by patrick182; 09-22-2019 at 04:28 PM.

@radicards
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two ways to identify authentic examples of the 1990 Upper Deck Reggie Jackson AU. Each is discussed here. https://bit.ly/2mLBlUM

@radicards
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an alphabetical list of terms related to the hobby of sports card and memorabilia collecting. https://bit.ly/2mH3yMY

@radicards
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this video, we discuss a Luka Doncic 2018-19 Panini Prizm and a Jose Iglesias 2010 Bowman Chrome Prospects. https://bit.ly/2IoYODx