Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does anyone know the type of microphone(s) Vin Scully has used?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
This might be a long shot, but I figured the range of knowledge on this site far surpasses my own little brain and ability to google search.

Lightening is going to strike a second time, and I will be spending some time with my all-time favorite Dodger, Vin Scully. The first time we met, I was so focused on picking his brain and talking to him, that I never asked him to sign anything. This time around, he isn't getting off so easily. :)

I figure what better item to have him sign, than the tool that helped create his legend, a broadcasters microphone. I'd like to purchase a model type that he actually used, and for nostalgia purposes, I'd prefer the look of a vintage model.

Does anyone know what type I should be looking for?

VinScully.png

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I wish I could help you out, I have no idea. I absolutely love the idea though, I imagine it will display very well too. Good luck.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
4e81d7acac3447c78e6401bb649601cd.jpg

Looks like they released a SGA version, also looks like it won't come cheap lol

If you don't mind me asking, how did it come about that you get to meet him, not once but twice?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Yeah, I saw those commemorative microphones, but was looking more for the real thing. And you're right, it looks like it's gonna be pretty pricey lol. I found out the one in the picture is a Western Electric 639B Birdcage microphone. In good, working condition, they go for over $1000. I am now going on a quest to find a good-looking, non-working one... since it will be displayed and not used.

I had kind of a crazy year as far as baseball goes. I got to meet Vin earlier this year as part of a Dodgers baseball outing through Caesar's Palace in Vegas (where I spend way too much time). I ended up hitting it off with one of the Dodger's execs. We've kept in touch and he recently invited me to a dinner party where Vin will be.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Yeah, I saw those commemorative microphones, but was looking more for the real thing. And you're right, it looks like it's gonna be pretty pricey lol. I found out the one in the picture is a Western Electric 639B Birdcage microphone. In good, working condition, they go for over $1000. I am now going on a quest to find a good-looking, non-working one... since it will be displayed and not used.

I had kind of a crazy year as far as baseball goes. I got to meet Vin earlier this year as part of a Dodgers baseball outing through Caesar's Palace in Vegas (where I spend way too much time). I ended up hitting it off with one of the Dodger's execs. We've kept in touch and he recently invited me to a dinner party where Vin will be.

That's awesome, keep us updated on your mic search, and I hope you do a little recap thread after meeting him also

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I wonder if the pending retirement got people thinking about him more (top of the mind= more interest). There have been cards of broadcasters before, but not him (at least signed) until now. They are going for crazy money too. I think he was an agreeable signer through the mail too, which makes it more puzzling. When he retires, maybe he'll sign more.

A blogger I followed make his own 78 Topps card and got it signed through the mail. That was a great looking card that made me instantly jealous, especially since I have been adding non-players to my Dodger collection.

Maybe you can help me out with your executive buddy if he is up there in the ranks?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I sent a card to Scully several times over the past 25 years or so and never received one back. I assumed he was a good signer through the mail. Maybe I just had bad luck for some reason. I've never had trouble getting any other broadcaster's autograph.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Last night on the guys were picking a guy in NYC. The collection was lost of tech stuff but they ended up talking about microphones, specifically ribbon microphones. Maybe that term can assist with your search?

Members online

Latest posts