Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Biggiobrooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I am very saddened to hear this about Nick. I don't think we have ever had any in depth conversations, but I do know of him through the forums here. It looks like the funeral is going to be on Christmas Eve. We should definitely keep his family in our prayers during this difficult time.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, services are planned for tomorrow - Christmas Eve morning. :cry: I do know that a large contingent of the current and former athletes for whom Nick so fervently represented over the years are planning to attend. Hopefully the support they and the rest of the community are providing to his family will be of some comfort and ease their burden, if even a little. I'm sure any good thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

pac_rat_76

Aug 10, 2008
Minnesota
Thoughts & prayers to his family and all that knew him. It seems he made a lot of people's lives better for knowing him. May the good memories get them through the tough times.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
When I learned of this earlier today I was floored. I remember thinking "Nick's a kid. What the heck could have happened?". I had zero idea of the issues he was facing. Very sorry to hear this. And the time of year couldn't be worse. You hear something like this and all the stress and crap you deal with daily seem like such small trivial things. Damn! I would like to send something(a card or something) to his family but I honestly can't even think of anything worth saying. Not much a person can say to even slightly ease that type of loss. They will be in my thoughts and prayers(although everyone on this earth is always included anyways).

We will keep his thread going.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Absolutely terrible news. I knew he had some issues as he hinted to them in pm conversations we had a number of years ago but I had no idea they were as bad as they were. I cannot help to be incredibly sad at this news. He was a good kid with a passion for his hobby and apparently a passion for his teams. Again, terribly sad news.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I never had any contact with Nick, but now I feel like I knew him personally. I truly admire people who constantly face their own mortality and get on with life anyway. I'm pretty sure the world needs more people like him.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Hi all - here's a bit of additional background on Nick. I've gotten a lot less involved in collecting over the last several years, in no small part due to my two high school age daughters' involvement in their athletic and other extra-curricular activities. Which, coincidentally is how I've gotten to know Nick. He has for years proclaimed himself the number one fan of the football and basketball teams at Roncalli High School in Manitowoc, WI which my daughters attend, a title which has never been in dispute. He's a fixture at every game, leading cheers from the sidelines. As passionate as he was about his player collections, his fervor for Roncalli athletics and athletes was tenfold (maybe more). There were times he clapped so hard and for so long that his hands were actually bleeding after a big game. He's a young man who dealt with a lifetime of health issues but who found a home on the sidelines cheering on the Jets. He was the last of the true believers - sometimes to a fault - but his passion and enthusiasm were never in doubt.

He had been having issues lately that required hospitalization but as soon as he was released he was back in the gym. In fact he was at our girls' game Tuesday night, just hours before his passing. My last memory of him will be seeing him changing out of his "gamers" - the gym shoes he only wore in the gym on game day - after Tuesday's contest. I take a lot of photos at the girls' games and thought I'd share a couple of my favorites of Nick:

View attachment 66358

View attachment 66357

View attachment 66359

View attachment 66360

And here's an article that appeared in our local paper yesterday. http://www.htrnews.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2016/12/22/roncalli-remebers-superfan-aerts/95772838/ He was a special young man and his absence is going to leave a big void in a lot of peoples' hearts. RIP Nick - we'll miss you.

Thanks for sharing.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A lot of us gave Nick a hard time on this board, making fun of his opinions or thoughts, unaware of his condition.
Nick never lashed out at us, a true testament to his character and goodness.

I now feel terrible for sometimes criticizing his posts, and if anything good comes out of Nick's passing, it will be that we need to realize it's wrong to be mean to people we know nothing about, especially people who have never been mean to us.

RIP Nick. You were a better man than most of us.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Agreed, although I'd like to think that the reception he was given at this site was mostly positive, as this is certainly one of the more "mellow" sites when it comes to discussions. I'd hate to think how he may have fared on some of the other sites. Like driving seems to bring out the big "A-Hole" in many people when they are in their vehicles, it is easy to forget common courtesy when you are safely behind an anonymous screen name on a computer.

The guy was dealt a crap hand but he seemed to make the best of it. 25 is way too young. If we don't already have a spot on the site for memorials, perhaps we should consider one. I know when I was spending most of my time on The Bench, they created a spot in their HOF section for those who had passed and even named one of the levels after Robert Hall (Android). Not sure if it is still maintained currently, but it is a nice remembrance for those who are no longer with us. I don't know if you need to be a member to see this section, so if not, scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.thebenchtrading.com/hof.php

A lot of us gave Nick a hard time on this board, making fun of his opinions or thoughts, unaware of his condition.

I now feel terrible for sometimes criticizing his posts, and if anything good comes out of Nick's passing, it will be that we need to realize it's wrong to be mean to people we know nothing about, especially people who have never been mean to us.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Tragic news for someone so young

I'm guilty of being one of the trolls that rode him on earlier in his time on here. I'm pretty sure of it. But I did make amends with him almost as soon as it happened. He was differently a person that liked all of his collection no matter how small the card was in the grand scheme of things.

He did have an opinion on things and I still didn't agree with him at times but knew he was passion of things including his card collection. He was a very active member of this boards and he will be truly missed....

RIP Nick

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
We went to Nick's funeral this morning. I can honestly say that it was one of the the saddest I've ever attended.

One of the themes that came through repeatedly was Nick's ability to find joy in the everyday things that many of us tend to take for granted and the lasting impression that has made on those close to him. He was a young man who took everything life threw at him and still managed to come out smiling - and make others smile - on the other end.

The act of being a little more patient... a little more accepting... a little more appreciative... a little kinder... on his behalf would be an exceptionally fitting tribute in his memory.

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
We went to Nick's funeral this morning. I can honestly say that it was one of the the saddest I've ever attended.

One of the themes that came through repeatedly was Nick's ability to find joy in the everyday things that many of us tend to take for granted and the lasting impression that has made on those close to him. He was a young man who took everything life threw at him and still managed to come out smiling - and make others smile - on the other end.

The act of being a little more patient... a little more accepting... a little more appreciative... a little kinder... on his behalf would be an exceptionally fitting tribute in his memory.

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
The family have a place to donate to help with medical or funeral costs?

Collecting: Phil Bickford, Brandon Wood (still), Yankees and Rockies

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

I think everyone at one time or another gets their chops busted. I don't think anyone gave him too much grief and he was treated like one of the guys which is what any of us would have wanted to be treated like. And he was very adamant about topps not caring about their customers!:p;)

He will be missed.

Members online

Latest posts