Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Another Juan collector has 275 1/1's :eek: I can not afford to keep up with that. In 2017 alone Juan has 76 1/1's Thanks Topps::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
275. That is insane. But more power to him.

There's an Alomar collector out there, who I can't seem to engage, that is obsessed with all the high end modern stuff. He wins quite a few such auctions on ebay. I'm perfectly content to stay out of the fray on those, having neither the desire or deep pockets to compete. I go for mostly playing career cards, with emphasis on the weird stuff, so it's not too often that we end up going head to head. For me that's a nice, happy accident of an arrangement.

I have also heard of a major collector in Puerto Rico, who doesn't seem to have an online presence at all. Those are the only other two super collectors that I've run across.

It's a double edged sword. Sometimes I wish there was a bigger community of Alomar collectors, like with Gonzalez or McGwire. At least I'd have someone to trade with now and then. But then there would be more competition for cards I covet. So it goes.

Another Juan collector has 275 1/1's :eek: I can not afford to keep up with that. In 2017 alone Juan has 76 1/1's Thanks Topps::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::

Last edited:

mooshoo

Aug 22, 2017
275. That is insane. But more power to him.

There's an Alomar collector out there, who I can't seem to engage, that is obsessed with all the high end modern stuff. He wins quite a few such auctions on ebay. I'm perfectly content to stay out of the fray on those, having neither the desire or deep pockets to compete. I go for mostly playing career cards, with emphasis on the weird stuff, so it's not too often that we end up going head to head. For me that's a nice, happy accident of an arrangement.

I have also heard of a major collector in Puerto Rico, who doesn't seem to have an online presence at all. Those are the only other two super collectors that I've run across.

It's a double edged sword. Sometimes I wish there was a bigger community of Alomar collectors, like with Gonzalez or McGwire. At least I'd have someone to trade with now and then. But then there would be more competition for cards I covet. So it goes.

Only two??? :(

I seem to run into both of you (you and the high end ebayer) on occasion since I primarily dabble in autographed cards.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Believe it or not, I actually rewrote that post so it didn't sound like I was crapping on you. Because I wasn't! You're just more selective about what you go after, versus omnivorous supercollectors like me. I still think we should compare notes on our collections and figure out a trade or two. Send me your have-list and I'll do the same.

I still wish I could get in touch with mystery-ebay guy, whose screen name is something like rifleman50 or something like that. And of course the mystery Puerto Rico guy who I know absolutely nothing more about.

Even if none of us has tons of rare duplicates to dangle in front of each other (never mind the gay **** analogies), we could still figure out some trades where we give up this card or that card for ones we want more. It would be like an actual collecting community like the McGwire or Gonzalez or Puckett guys, which would be awesome.

Only two??? :(

I seem to run into both of you (you and the high end ebayer) on occasion since I primarily dabble in autographed cards.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Moar pickupps!

A card I never knew existed until last week, when I was trawling tradingcarddb.com and saw it. A double-take moment. WTF, a 1989 card I had never heard of? I've had the 1989 Star Alomar Brothers set, and the promo, since way back when. But a glossy promo? In blue? The normal set and promo are all orange colored, so this was a revelation. I immediately messaged the owner, a guy named Dan, asking if he'd be willing to part with it. He actually wrote back and we made a deal...and it arrived today. This is the good stuff, the kind of thing that keeps me collecting. Now I need to track down the glossy Alomar Brothers set itself. If any of you have one, do send me a PM won't you?
1989 star glossy promo.jpg

My second copy - 1990 Donruss Aqueous. I got my first copy a few years ago, but I've never been really happy with it. This time it's a pretty nice card, a high PSA 6. And as much as I don't really care about graded cards, I'm gonna keep this one in the holder. This damn card is SOOOOO rare. I've read as few as 20 copies exist. For a 1990 card, 20 copies is absolute unobtanium. So, against my usual practice of cracking cards out of their slabs as soon as I get them from the mailbox, I'm leaving this one as-is.
1990 aqueous.jpg

As rare as these oddball Pacific parallels are these days, it's worth posting when I find one I don't have. This one is the 2000 Pacific Premiere Date /37. This set had both a portrait and an action shot variation for Robbie, and now I have the /37 Premiere Date parallels of each. Good times.
2000 pacific premiere date.jpg

This one is special. Most times redemption cards are mailed in, and you never see them again, right? And most times redemption cards are just plain text cards, so it doesn't really matter that much. But every now and then a redemption card is a nice card in its own right, and you stumble upon an unredeemed copy for sale. Who knew the 2001 Fleer Lineage Hot Gloves parallel had such an awesome redemption card, and that I could get a copy? Strange things happen...
2001 fleer lineage hot glove front.jpg

Here's the back of those cards just for the hell of it.
2001 fleer lineage hot glove back.jpg

A minor pickup, but a rare one. A 2004 Leaf Exhibits from the Second Edition series. Still a lot more to go to complete this run.
2004 leaf second edition exhibits.jpg

For some reason I like the 2000's Leaf and their Press Proof parallels. This one was an unexpected find, the 2005 gold /25. After landing this one, I have exactly 3 left to complete the entire 2000's run. Just a good solid pickup that made my day when it arrived in the mail.
2005 leaf gold proof.jpg

This one! If you ask me what are the cornerstones of my collection, post-career issues will not usually appear in my answers. But this one, well, it's a cornerstone. The 2011 Topps Lineage Canary Diamond Auto /10. There's also a regular version of this 1992 Topps reprint, which looks just like the 1992 base card with a nice auto on it, and it's cool. But this sparkly parallel is just off the charts. I love this thing. I had missed out on three previous auctions, all of which ended between $100-$125 if I remember right. So when this one came up recently, I bid accordingly. There's only 10 of them, and I had already missed out on 3 of the 10 copies, so time to get one before it's too late. I absolutely love this card. Great photo, great effects, and a nice, clean on-card auto. Awesome.
2011 lineage canary auto.jpg

Last, and least, the 2019 Transcendent sketch card. This set doesn't mean much to me, but I was glad to pick this up for around $5 just because. Just because this year Robbie was in probably the most expensive card set ever released, and so why the hell not. The overall price tag makes it a collecting oddity. By the way, this thing comes in a thick brass-looking metal case, and it feels heavy in your hand. Woo-hoo.
2019 transcendent.jpg

Last edited:

diwhite

Oct 14, 2012
Moar pickupps!

A card I never knew existed until last week, when I was trawling tradingcarddb.com and saw it.

Thanks for the tip, I don't think I've seen that site before and it lists a 2017 Kelly Gruber /3 card that I had no idea existed. I'll add that to my "unlikely to ever see" list.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I love unredeemed redemption cards that feature a player image. I agree that most will be redeemed, so finding an unredeemed copy can be more difficult. I have gone so far as to keep copies of garvey redemption cards that are still active, but no days, when they do appear, they are expensive in their own right. I have not been able to keep one unredeemed since Fleer GOTG Auto.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I do too. But other than this one and the 1993-4 Topps black gold redemptions, I haven't found any. Definitely plan to keep a lookout for them. Such nice rare additions to the collection.

I love unredeemed redemption cards that feature a player image. I agree that most will be redeemed, so finding an unredeemed copy can be more difficult. I have gone so far as to keep copies of garvey redemption cards that are still active, but no days, when they do appear, they are expensive in their own right. I have not been able to keep one unredeemed since Fleer GOTG Auto.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Just got a few card display holders in the mail. I am putting them up in the dining room, so I can see the shininess every time I walk by. Planning to rotate these cards as the mood suits me. Here's what's on display today - the starting 9!

IMG_6898.JPG

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Want to post any of those Garvey redemptions? Curious to see them.

I couldn't find all the scans at the moment, but here are most.

Garvey 17 Tristar Signature Series Batting Helmet.jpgFleer GOTG Redemption Auto Back.jpgFleer GOTG Redemption Auto.jpgFleer GOTG Front.jpg

The 5 GOTG redemptions were right before the bankruptcy. I can't remember now, but I either sent in all my unique redemptions and kept dupes or hopefully, I sent in my dupes and kept the unique ones. None of them were ever released, so the redemptions I have are all that remain for this issue.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Just got a few card display holders in the mail. I am putting them up in the dining room, so I can see the shininess every time I walk by. Planning to rotate these cards as the mood suits me. Here's what's on display today - the starting 9!

View attachment 95436

Nice Crusade! but where are its big brothers? :cool:

I'm remembering that some protos didn't have a purp/red? Or was that just a rumor... who knows whats really out there.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT

View attachment 95436

That's a sweet setup, what's the one back center? 98 ultra platinum or is it something really cool I don't even know about?

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Cool. I really like the 2002 GOTG ones.

I couldn't find all the scans at the moment, but here are most.

View attachment 95437View attachment 95438View attachment 95439View attachment 95440

The 5 GOTG redemptions were right before the bankruptcy. I can't remember now, but I either sent in all my unique redemptions and kept dupes or hopefully, I sent in my dupes and kept the unique ones. None of them were ever released, so the redemptions I have are all that remain for this issue.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Aha! Well, you see the one in the pic is the unreleased prototype! I've only ever seen the green, never a red or purple.

Nice Crusade! but where are its big brothers? :cool:

I'm remembering that some protos didn't have a purp/red? Or was that just a rumor... who knows whats really out there.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Aha! Well, you see the one in the pic is the unreleased prototype! I've only ever seen the green, never a red or purple.

Yeah, I know that Alomar's main released Crusade was a CTA (I might have it somewhere), so Hastradamus inferred that one in the photo was a prototype. :grouphug:
Some don't have a purp or red so that might be the only proto ever.

Latest posts