Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I've seen some Mets uni Alomars from tier one in the billion breaks I've watched hunting for Wakefields. I think the Alomars bat knob is also on eBay.... sweeeeeet looking knob

Yeah I saw one on the video posted to the McCutchen thread I think it was, that’s why I threw it out there...and I’m sure a knob is way out of my range

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Some random pickups from the last few months...

Over on Blowout I found a former Alomar collector who had sold most of his cards to another collector, but still had some rare ones left. These two in particular...had to have them. The first is the black rainbow 1/1, but the second one is another 1/1 that was unknown to me. Calling it "black braids" in my checklist.

2016 tek blacks.jpg

From the same guy I also got this one. It's the first button card I have picked up. I just can't seem to really get into game used cards though. When I came back to this collection in 2015, after leaving around 1997, all these "game used" cards were totally new to me. My first reaction to them was "OK it's a different kind of card but whatever", and that hasn't changed. But I'm building up a PC and eventually I'll go after these kinds of cards a little harder, so it was a nice pickup.

2005 prime patches button.jpg

This one is a really nice card. These 5x7's were inserted into 2001 Studio hobby boxes. I think it's the only on-card autographed jumbo I have. Without looking at my checklist it might be the only one that exists. And it's a gorgeous card. There was - and still is - an overpriced copy that's been sitting on COMC for years, and although I thought about it, I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. Then all of the sudden several popped up on ebay and all of the sudden I got my copy at a reasonable price.

2001 studio private signings.jpg

Finally, this one. I was scanning through an ebay lot and saw this blue card that I didn't immediately recognize. I thought it must be another player, but looking more closely it was Alomar. It took a few google searches, but eventually I found a reference to this set in the Standard Catalog. It's not in Beckett, or Tradingcardb, or Baseballcardpedia, or anywhere else. It's a 2004 Diamondbacks set that was a stadium giveway sponsored by Pepsi (cards made by Upper Deck). There are zero of these cards for sale on eBay, COMC, and anywhere else. I feel really lucky to pick this up as part of a small lot for under $10.

2004 pepsi diamondbacks.jpg

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Some nice new pickups there, of course I love the Tek, I think braids is what they called that one on the sell sheet too.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Some nice new pickups there, of course I love the Tek, I think braids is what they called that one on the sell sheet too.

Cool. Braids it is.

Still looking for a few relatively common 2017 Teks though. Is it just me or is 2017 Tek getting really hard to come by these days?

Another recent find...2001 Absolute Memorabilia Spectrum /10. Amazing that these are only numbered to 10 whereas most of the following Absolute releases had Spectrum parallels to at least 100 copies. Even more amazing I found a copy.

2001 absolute spectrum front.jpg 2001 absolute spectrum back.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Got a few new pickups lately, but nothing as notable as this one:

3.jpg

Why is this one notable? Scarcity? No. Value? No. Aesthetics? No. Crystal clear example of the overwhelming OCD that fuels this silly collection? Bingo.

So this 1990 UD Keith Miller has a cameo of Robbie on the back. But this one is not just a normal cameo, it's the little known variation of some 1990 UD cards where the copyright line is missing. This line is usually right under the MLB logos, but cards in a certain number range can be found with it missing. I made a note to self in my excel checklist to periodically search for this card, and finally found it on COMC the other day. It compliments my *two other Alomar cameos* from the same set that also have the copyright line missing.

I keep telling my therapist that this is perfectly normal behavior, and she keeps asking my what the hell I keep paying her for.

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well I'm still plugging away at this collection, steadily adding cards a little at a time. I did hit a big milestone though. I went over 4000 unique cards a couple weeks ago. It didn't feel like a big deal, but in hindsight it's nuts. When I started this collection as a kid, I *never* would have guessed there could be that many cards, but here we are.

The actual #4000 was arbitrary since it was a COMC order of 6 cards. So I'm going to call these next two 4000a and 4000b, to finish out the little group of three cameo variations that I mentioned in my last post. Robbie had 4 cameos in the 1990 UD set, and three of them have the "no copyright line" variation.

1990 ud variation fronts.jpg
1990 ud variation backs.jpg

This next one had eluded me for years. An ebay seller had it listed for about a year but had it at too high a price (especially since I'm pretty sure he bought it from COMC at a super low price before I had noticed it listed. The nerve! :) ). But he finally brought the price down and ebay had a 15% sale, so I grabbed it. Two cool things about this one. First, it fills a hole in my collection from 1992. There are very, very few cards I'm missing from those days, so it feels good to get one. Second, I had always thought these cards were identical to the pack-issued cards, just with 4 of them stuck together in a panel. But to my surprise, the back actually has "for promotional use only, not for resale" in light print. Very cool.

1992 score pinnacle promo.jpg

I also got the gold preview card from 1998 Signature. It was more than I should have paid, but this was one I absolutely had to have. I think the red-blue-green versions are beautiful, and adding the gold was something I couldn't pass up. I guess I'm a sucker for primary colors. Interesting that the gold preview has holo-gold foil, whereas none of the pack-issued cards do.

1998 signatures.jpg

I'm also a sucker for promo cards and was pumped to add this pair from 1998:

1998 stand up samples.jpg

This one is nothing special, but it completes the "rainbow" of this card, excepting the Bazooka Red version which was only 5 copies. 90% of the Sweet Caporal cards were printed in brown print, with the other 10% printed in purple (and this is the purple one). It was sitting on Beckett for a long time at a reasonable price, like $8, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it. Reason is the seller's shipping charge was $5.75. There is only one word for this. When you tell someone that "shipping" costs a certain amount, but then you are simply pocketing a majority of that amount, that is fraud. Of course it's a small amount, and probably not even illegal, but it's still fraud. And the seller didn't even bother to use a bubble mailer. It was a simple (but sturdy) small brown envelope. I know how much these cost, and I saw the postage charge on the envelope, and basically the seller was pocketing $3.00 of the $5.75 "shipping' charge as pure profit. For one silly little card. I feel like a chump for buying this, but they are hard to find and I just decided to fill the hole in my collection and move on. The Beckett seller, by the way, is Card Gallery. End of rant.

2003 sweet caporal purple.jpg

Did I mention I like Tek? Found the right hand one on ebay the other day. I had no idea this 1/1 existed, because it's not on any checklist, but was glad to pick it up for a very decent price. Makes a nice pair with the other gold 1/1. Don't know what to call it though. The left hand one is apparently "gold galactic", so I'm calling the right hand one "gold quasar".

2017 tek golds.jpg

Finally, one of the few 2018 issues I've picked up. I like Topps' Throwback Thursday idea and was happy to see Robbie finally in one of those sets. This one was printed to 320 copies.

2018 throwback thursday.jpg

Last edited:

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
AWESOME!

i used to collect Robby pretty hardcore back in the day. here are some of my favs

28464608567_afd043c6ec_c.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hey, thanks. By the way you owe me a new keyboard. Reason is that I drooled on it while looking at those cards and it shorted out. :)

If you ever decide to sell any of the three in the top row, let me make an offer!

AWESOME!

i used to collect Robby pretty hardcore back in the day. here are some of my favs

[/img]

whanlon

Nov 18, 2013
I collect Alomar with the Indians but I need his 1996 Circa Rave for my set from his Orioles days, if anyone has it please let me know!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Got some neat cards in recently, so why not post a few here in the good ol' Alomar collectors thread...

Wow, a 1991 Bowman card. What a score! I know, it's a junk era common. But the real story is even more pathetic. I learned about the 1991 Topps and Bowman glow backs here on this board, and so I immediately sorted my commons and found I had both of the Topps variations, glow back and non-glow back. But for Bowman I only had the glow back. It was a low priority, but I picked up a couple cards here and there hoping they would be the non-glow back versions. But no luck.

Then I splurged and bought 18 copies of the card from sportlots, plus a couple others. But in the meantime I had put my UV flashlight (which I bought for this purpose) in the basement. The basement is now completely full of my and my friend's crap, so now I couldn't find it (don't ask, it's a long story, but it does not involve a domineering girlfriend who hates my stuff). Anyhoo, I finally ordered another UV flashlight from ebay, only to find that all of the 18 cards I bought from sportlots were the same glow back that I already had. However, one of the duplicates I already had turned out to be the non-glow back version, I just missed it the first time around. Damnit. So I probably wasted $15 on getting the stupid 1991 Bowman non-glow back variation card. I know you all will understand this though, that's why I'm telling you, my therapists.

1991 bowman.JPG

I don't have many of these, maybe 6 total, but I like them. The gold finish is awesome, and the kelly green color on the back is my absolute favorite color. This 1999 Tek gold collection is a very long term ordeal. There is a very specific price point beyond which I will not go, so it will take a while. I know I will never get them all, but I wonder how many I'll end up with before I croak?

1999 tek gold front.JPG 1999 tek gold back.JPG

Pacific Parallel! This one was sitting on COMC for a while before I noticed it, despite my frequent searches. Don't know what happened, I just didn't see it. I can't help it, I friggin love Pacific and all their ridiculous parallels. Wish they were still around. It is a rare occasion to find one I'm missing these days, but they are out there, and finding one is like the Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

1999 pacific private stock platinum.JPG

So you can imagine how I felt to win this auction at a price well below what I would have paid. In the words of George Costanza, "it moved".

2000 pacific premier date.JPG

Next one, 2004 Fleer Genuine Insider Auto+Ball /10. I like this one, it's kind of a unique design. Thick card with a little insert that slides out The insert has the auto plus a relic of a game-used ball.

As I've said before, I don't give a sht about game used jersey or bat cards. Soooo tired. For what I've spent foolishly (or obsessively) buying GU cards over the years, I could have bought 10 actual, full, game-used jerseys or bats. But balls are still rare enough that it's kind of neat to find one. Kind of. But overall it's a cool card design and I was glad to find it. Not every day you can pick up a card numbered to 10 from 2004.

There are 4 variations of this card: Auto, Auto+Jersey, Auto+Bat, Auto+Ball. I have all except the Auto+Bat one. Would love to find that one and complete this "rainbow".

2004 genuine insider auto ball.JPG

What's better than an auto card numbered to 10 from 2004? An auto card numbered to 5 from 2004!

**Oh yeah**

This Donruss World Series set seems to be a forgotten issue, and I suppose rightly so. It strikes me as one of those uninspired mid-2000's issues that was designed just to fill up space on store shelves. Kind of like 2005 Donruss Champions, and (blasphemy) 2005 Absolute Memorabilia. But for some reason I like this set and all of its lame parallels. There is no reason to like it, but there's no accounting for taste.

2004 donruss world series auto.JPG

Last one - a new oddball release! Yeah! Apparently, according to the seller, these were custom printed for an signing event with Robbie. And he has pics to prove it. So...I'm in. Love finding cards like this. They just don't make oddballs like they used to, and it's a damn shame. The oddball part of my PC is probably my favorite section.

2018 oddball.JPG

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.