User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AWESOME!

i used to collect Robby pretty hardcore back in the day. here are some of my favs

What you collect is awesome, what i collect sucks.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, thanks. By the way you owe me a new keyboard. Reason is that I drooled on it while looking at those cards and it shorted out.

If you ever decide to sell any of the three in the top row, let me make an offer!

Quote Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
    AWESOME!

i used to collect Robby pretty hardcore back in the day. here are some of my favs

[/img]
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! ty ty!

ive you run across any of those in Manny form, let me know!
    What you collect is awesome, what i collect sucks.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ever find one of those Mannys for anything less than a total ripoff, I'll let you know. But in the meantime...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blues brothers.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	83127

Quote Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
    LOL! ty ty!

ive you run across any of those in Manny form, let me know!
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Random late night note about the massively overproduced 1988 Donruss rookie card. This one has Robbie listed as a shortstop, and I'm pretty sure it's the only major league card that does so. He played SS more in the minors, but according to this interesting read, only 5 games at SS in his entire MLB career, all in 1990.

https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/tht-li...er-highlights/

Name:	1988 donruss.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	83136

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I collect Alomar with the Indians but I need his 1996 Circa Rave for my set from his Orioles days, if anyone has it please let me know!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe I have one but have to go digging in the basement. Will PM you....

Quote Originally Posted by whanlon View Post
    I collect Alomar with the Indians but I need his 1996 Circa Rave for my set from his Orioles days, if anyone has it please let me know!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the card. Little bit of chipping on the front, mostly on the top edge.

Name:	1996 rave alomar front.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	83884

Name:	1996 rave alomar back.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	83885

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ThoseBackPages

SELL ME YOUR CHILDREN!!

Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post

Name:	blues brothers.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	83127

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got some neat cards in recently, so why not post a few here in the good ol' Alomar collectors thread...

Wow, a 1991 Bowman card. What a score! I know, it's a junk era common. But the real story is even more pathetic. I learned about the 1991 Topps and Bowman glow backs here on this board, and so I immediately sorted my commons and found I had both of the Topps variations, glow back and non-glow back. But for Bowman I only had the glow back. It was a low priority, but I picked up a couple cards here and there hoping they would be the non-glow back versions. But no luck.

Then I splurged and bought 18 copies of the card from sportlots, plus a couple others. But in the meantime I had put my UV flashlight (which I bought for this purpose) in the basement. The basement is now completely full of my and my friend's crap, so now I couldn't find it (don't ask, it's a long story, but it does not involve a domineering girlfriend who hates my stuff). Anyhoo, I finally ordered another UV flashlight from ebay, only to find that all of the 18 cards I bought from sportlots were the same glow back that I already had. However, one of the duplicates I already had turned out to be the non-glow back version, I just missed it the first time around. Damnit. So I probably wasted $15 on getting the stupid 1991 Bowman non-glow back variation card. I know you all will understand this though, that's why I'm telling you, my therapists.

Name:	1991 bowman.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	84100

I don't have many of these, maybe 6 total, but I like them. The gold finish is awesome, and the kelly green color on the back is my absolute favorite color. This 1999 Tek gold collection is a very long term ordeal. There is a very specific price point beyond which I will not go, so it will take a while. I know I will never get them all, but I wonder how many I'll end up with before I croak?

Name:	1999 tek gold front.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	84101 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 tek gold back.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	84102

Pacific Parallel! This one was sitting on COMC for a while before I noticed it, despite my frequent searches. Don't know what happened, I just didn't see it. I can't help it, I friggin love Pacific and all their ridiculous parallels. Wish they were still around. It is a rare occasion to find one I'm missing these days, but they are out there, and finding one is like the Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Name:	1999 pacific private stock platinum.JPG 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	84103

So you can imagine how I felt to win this auction at a price well below what I would have paid. In the words of George Costanza, "it moved".

Name:	2000 pacific premier date.JPG 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	84104

Next one, 2004 Fleer Genuine Insider Auto+Ball /10. I like this one, it's kind of a unique design. Thick card with a little insert that slides out The insert has the auto plus a relic of a game-used ball.

As I've said before, I don't give a sht about game used jersey or bat cards. Soooo tired. For what I've spent foolishly (or obsessively) buying GU cards over the years, I could have bought 10 actual, full, game-used jerseys or bats. But balls are still rare enough that it's kind of neat to find one. Kind of. But overall it's a cool card design and I was glad to find it. Not every day you can pick up a card numbered to 10 from 2004.

There are 4 variations of this card: Auto, Auto+Jersey, Auto+Bat, Auto+Ball. I have all except the Auto+Bat one. Would love to find that one and complete this "rainbow".

Name:	2004 genuine insider auto ball.JPG 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	84105

What's better than an auto card numbered to 10 from 2004? An auto card numbered to 5 from 2004!

**Oh yeah**

This Donruss World Series set seems to be a forgotten issue, and I suppose rightly so. It strikes me as one of those uninspired mid-2000's issues that was designed just to fill up space on store shelves. Kind of like 2005 Donruss Champions, and (blasphemy) 2005 Absolute Memorabilia. But for some reason I like this set and all of its lame parallels. There is no reason to like it, but there's no accounting for taste.

Name:	2004 donruss world series auto.JPG 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	84106

Last one - a new oddball release! Yeah! Apparently, according to the seller, these were custom printed for an signing event with Robbie. And he has pics to prove it. So...I'm in. Love finding cards like this. They just don't make oddballs like they used to, and it's a damn shame. The oddball part of my PC is probably my favorite section.

Name:	2018 oddball.JPG 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	84107
    Last edited by banjar; 10-20-2018 at 04:54 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pick ups.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    Here's the card. Little bit of chipping on the front, mostly on the top edge.

Name:	1996 rave alomar front.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	83884

Name:	1996 rave alomar back.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	83885

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a detailed spreadsheet to track my PC. It's called "advanced metrics"

So I was looking at this tonight, and I saw the following figures for the past 5 years. First column is year, second is total number of unique cards produced that year, third is the number I own, and fourth is the % I own.

2014 216 74 34.3
    2015 245 74 30.2
    2016 247 93 37.7
    2017 249 91 36.5
    2018 289 19 6.6

So for in recent years I'll end up with 30-some percent of available cards. This year, less than 7%. I've mentioned before that I've had it with the glut of stupid modern releases for a guy who's been retired 13 years, but I hadn't looked at my stats in a while and didn't realize how little I cared about 2018 releases. I have a bid out on ebay for the 2018 Archives Rookie History Auto /99, since it's a 1988 Topps Traded reprint which I kinda like. But beyond that? I might be totally done with 2018.

Even if Alomar had been in 2018 Tek, which I would have chased, that would still have only brought me to like 15% of available cards. So basically half of previous years. And something tells me I'll have even less enthusiasm for 2019.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a detailed spreadsheet to track my PC. It's called "advanced metrics"

So I was looking at this tonight, and I saw the following figures for the past 5 years. First column is year, second is total number of unique cards produced that year, third is the number I own, and fourth is the % I own.

2014 216 74 34.3
    2015 245 74 30.2
    2016 247 93 37.7
    2017 249 91 36.5
    2018 289 19 6.6

So in recent years I'd usually end up with 30-some percent of available cards. This year, less than 7%. I've mentioned before that I've had it with the glut of stupid modern releases for a guy who's been retired 13 years. A bat chip with an auto numbered to 75, with 6 parallels going down to the 1/1. Whatever. I just don't care.

But I hadn't looked at my stats in a while and didn't realize how little I cared about 2018 releases. I do have a bid on ebay for the 2018 Archives Rookie History Auto /99, since it's a 1988 Topps Traded reprint which I kinda like. But beyond that? I might be totally done with 2018.

Even if Alomar had been in 2018 Tek, which I would have chased, that would still have only brought me to like 15% of available cards. So basically half of previous years. And something tells me I'll have even less enthusiasm for 2019.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567