Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Oh man, sorry mate! Had no idea I was bidding against you. Let's keep in touch better, maybe can avoid more bidding wars.

YOU!!! I was 2nd high bidder on that Skybox Autographics /50 lol. Congrats on getting it...we should really not outbid each other. Just costing us more $ haha.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks. I get home in 2 days, and this is one of the cards I'm most looking forward to seeing. It's a future prospects pre-pre-pre- rookie SSSP eBay 1/1 for sure.

[ QUOTE=mrmopar;2562301]This is exactly the kind of thing that I get excited about in the hobby. I want one of these now![/QUOTE]

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
And...I picked up the no-serial number holo-purple from Burbank yesterday. Their photo of the card shows the one w/o the serial number, but of course a lot of sellers use beckett stock photos and not the actual card. So I wrote Burbank and asked, and sure enough one of their two copies is the no-serial version, so I snagged it.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Finally made it home last week and found a Yuuuge bag of new cards waiting. Oh yeah! Here's a few...

1996 Leaf Preferred Steel Bronze Promo. This one had been listed on ebay forever, with the seller's price jumping around by hundreds of dollars. I finally made an offer, and ended up with it. A bit more than I wanted to pay but what the hell. Might be a 1/1, which would make it my first 90's 1/1.

0-bronze.JPG

And now for the non-white whales. Left is 2005 Donruss Champions Gold Impressions /50. This is one of the least known and desirable 2000's sets, and for good reason. It's lame. Baseballcardpedia describes it as a "sticker and relic dump" issued right before DLP went belly up. I can see that. But I'm curiously attracted to these cards, especially the colored foil parallels. Alomar has 3 cards in this set but I hadn't found a gold one until I stumbled on this on Sportlots. Second one is 1999 Bowman's Best Atomic Refractor. When I got it I had to study it for a few minutes until I realized what the atomic part was, aside from the numbering to 100 on the back. Finally realized it's the foil striping, which is a little more tinsel-y than the refractor. What's the point of a rare parallel if you need a deerstalker cap and an ounce of shag to deduce what the difference is? Nice to fill that hole in my 90's wantlist though.

0-db.JPG

1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion /200. Cool. Then 2003 Patchworks double patch /100. That one completely finishes my 03 Patchworks run. Then the 2002 Fleer Platinum parallel /22. The only difference is the stars and year in the top right are in gold foil. It's nothing special, but pretty rare and I always love filling in obscure parallels like this.

0-fleer.JPG

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I'm not really buying new cards anymore, but happy to make exceptions for cool ones like these. Left one is 2016 Panini Pantheon Milestone Scripts 1/1. I like the Pantheon set. It's different. And if includes a gladiator-styled card called "Rudiarius" then fine, you got me. As far as the Milestone Scripts, it's just a gorgeous card. I bought the /10 version a couple years ago just to have an example, but then in quick succession the /1, /5, /15, and /20 showed up at "reasonable" prices. So I went for it and got the rainbow. Next one is 2014 Five Star auto. Love the design. I had the /149 but felt compelled to get the /25 version too. The holo foil just adds the perfect touch to an already awesome card. Last is 2018 Clearly Authentic auto. This shows what Topps can do when they put their best effort forward. It's a great concept and totally unique.

0-new.JPG

Some smaller "hits" here. The first is a normal Chrome refractor, no big whoop. But surprisingly hard to find this card. I wonder if it was SP'ed. I eventually found it in the form of a 2-card panel from ebay seller leximo, one of those cards cut from the sheets that he somehow keeps tracking down. So I got it, and one careful razor blade cut later, here you go. Seriously, I have never seen an official pack-pulled example for sale. Next is 2001 Leaf Certified Fabric of the Game, platinum parallel /21. It's a nice design and has a great color scheme. There's one more parallel /12 out there, but who knows if or when that will pop up. Last is 1999 Pacific Invincible Platinum Blue /67. God help me I love Pacific parallels.

0-tlp.JPG

Last but certainly not least, the 2003 St Lucie News promo issue. It seems if you renewed you subscription to the paper, you'd get a little pack of Mets cards. Damn hard to find. I had to buy the whole set to get the Robbie, so if anyone's interested I still have the rest for sale/trade, including Glavine and Piazza.

0-stlucie.JPG

Last edited:

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Congrats on your Bronze Promo pick up. I still have my Jeter Promo and not planning on letting it go do you have the Silver and Gold as well? They don’t seem to sell for much but I believe if certain ones hit on auction they would. Some ways I wish I had auctioned off the Griffey I once owned just to get the true value of it but I was happy with my sale price.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hey, thanks. Yeah I have the silver and gold promos. I don't remember how long it took me to find them, so it couldn't have been that long. They make a nice set!

Congrats on your Bronze Promo pick up. I still have my Jeter Promo and not planning on letting it go do you have the Silver and Gold as well? They don’t seem to sell for much but I believe if certain ones hit on auction they would. Some ways I wish I had auctioned off the Griffey I once owned just to get the true value of it but I was happy with my sale price.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Wow. 4.5 months since I last posted on this thread. Way too long. I guess the summer just got away from me - but in a good way. I've been enjoying it and spending a lot of time working outside. But anyhoo...lots of good pickups along the way. So without further ado, here are some of the more choice ones.

Here are some cards I had never seen prior to a month ago. The 2003 UD Triple Game issues. In terms of parallels in the early 2000's, UD had one and only one gimmick. Basically the base, the silver, and the gold. And the gold was usually numbered to 25. Lather, rinse, repeat. But hey, whatever, standard issue stuff is what makes the really special cards special, right?

When I saw the silver version on ebay I was surprised - not beacuse of what it was, but because I hadn't seen it before. I snagged the silver for a good price, then within a few weeks, the gold appeared, also at a good price. Nothing spectacular here, but it's always nice to finish off a series :)

03 UD triple game.jpg

Here's one going waaayyyy back in the day. 1992 to be precise. The RBI magazine cards (i.e. Regional Baseball Index). One day I saw an ebay listing with a "no foil proof" version of this card, and I almost mashed the BIN button - until I looked at my collection. Turns out I already had the version without the foil, and never realized there was a version with the silver foil! So I searched a bit more and mashed another BIN button for the silver foil version.

These days it is incredibly rare to find a card from so long ago that I didn't know about. THIS is why I keep collecting these stupid little pieces of cardboard!

1992 RBI variations.jpg

Want to know what I feel like when I find a 1992 RBI Magazine variation that I never knew about for a couple bucks delivered? This is it. Nobody else in my life appreciates this sh*t, but I KNOW you do. Thanks.

oh yeah.jpg

Next one is 2002 Fleer Focus JE Jersey Number Parallel, plus the sample card (or proof or whatever). The auction ended pretty cheap, but I still wasn't sure about it. The number was "00/12" but the 2 in 12 was a little off, so I wondered if it was a bogus card. But otherwise it matched the color scheme of the jersey number parallel, plus it had the same font and foil style of that parallel. So what the hell. When I got the card I realized it was definitely legit. It had the same sticker serial-number job that Fleer used to do, and then I looked at my pack-pulled card I realized the 2 in the number 12 was also a little off. So there was something going on with their printing alignment on this one. In the end I'm glad to have this one.

[Edit: If it isn't obvious by now, I posted this late at night after a few bevs. The ponit of this rambling paragraph is that a) I had the pack-pulled card /12 already, and then won this "sample" card 00/12 at auction. And b) I wasn't sure about it because the printing on the 00/12 was off, but then realized my pack-pulled card wasn't perfectly aligned either, so therefore determined the 00/12 wasn't a fake. Clear as mud?]

2002 focus jersey front.jpg

2002 focus jersey back.jpg

Just got this one today. 2002 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Emerald. Numbered 5/5. See above Kool Aid gif for how I feel about this.

2002 mirror emerald.jpg

Another one from the total BS lazy-ass 2005 Donruss Throwback Threads release. One of them is a standard GU jersey card, numbered to 500. The other is the "prime" jersey card numbered to 25. Wanna guess which one is which based on the front?

2005 throwback BS front.jpg

Wrong. The solid black "swatch" is the prime card, and the one with two colors is the basic card. Not that I care about small shreds of fabric on cards. My point is the sheer laziness and ineptitude of so many 2005 Donruss releases. They were really running out of steam at this point. Here's the backs of the cards to show the serial numbers.

2005 champions BS back.jpg

As you've probably noticed, I'm not that much into new releases. But every now and then something comes along and I feel compelled to buy it. Like the 2019 Topps Silver Pack Promos. I got the red parallel /5 the other day, just missing the /1 superfractor at this point. Hope it appears at a reasonable price, but not holding my breath. Here is the rainbow so far...

2019 topps series 2 silver pack almost rainbow.jpg

Another 2019 card I liked, the Tribute green parallel /99. I'm not going after the rainbow on this one, but had to have the green one. Love it. It's a busy design with lots of colors, but somehow it works.

2019 tribute green.jpg

Two last 2019 cards. From the Topps X Lindor set. I think this one is really cool and creative. Something different. Getting the player involved in the design of the cards? Cool with me. Neat that Robbie was Lindor's idol growing up, and now we have these cards.

2019 x lindor.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Just for fun, here's the total number of Robbie Alomar cards released from 1987 to present. This includes every base, parallel, insert, error, variation, unreleased, unlicensed, ACEO card, and whatever else can reasonably or unreasonably be defined as a unique card.

1987 2
1988 26
1989 84
1990 85
1991 105
1992 167
1993 228
1994 189
1995 157
1996 193
1997 249
1998 556
1999 341
2000 299
2001 305
2002 461
2003 595
2004 416
2005 260
2006 0
2007 31
2008 23
2009 2
2010 70
2011 163
2012 129
2013 38
2014 217
2015 245
2016 247
2017 250
2018 340
2019 491 <-- Dear Topps, and Dear Panini - this is f'ing stupid. Please make a note of it. Thank you. -Seth

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Just of curiosity have you "completed" any years? Completedo being in quotes because all player collectors know they will eventually find something new from that year they just completed.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
2019 491 <-- Dear Topps, and Dear Panini - this is f'ing stupid. Please make a note of it. Thank you. -Seth
And how many of those are 1/1's

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Only one year - 1987. But if you throw out all the outliers and weird stuff and just go by Beckett, I'm done with 8 years, and am 5 cards away from making it 11 years.

What about you on the Gonzalez side?

Just of curiosity have you "completed" any years? Completedo being in quotes because all player collectors know they will eventually find something new from that year they just completed.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
There are 117 1/1's from 2019.

110 of those are from the major manufacturers. I own exactly one of them, and there's maybe 4 more that I'll be bidding on if they ever surface. No interest in the other 105.

And how many of those are 1/1's

Last edited:

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Only one year - 1987. But if you throw out all the outliers and weird stuff and just go by Beckett, I'm done with 8 years, and am 5 cards away from making it 11 years.

What about you on the Gonzalez side?

I have 100% for 87-88-89 and 13. Those years have 15 cards total, LOL. I do have 8 years in the 90% range. Juan has 838 1/1's::facepalm::::facepalm:: I have 79.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Wow. 79 1/1 is pretty good.

Can't look it up right now, but I think Robbie has something like 750 1/1's. I have about 20.

I have 100% for 87-88-89 and 13. Those years have 15 cards total, LOL. I do have 8 years in the 90% range. Juan has 838 1/1's::facepalm::::facepalm:: I have 79.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
That is a ridiculous number of 1/1s! I never really thought about how many players like that would have. If I stopped to look Biggio probably has over 600, but with my PC I never chased after them. Wakefield has less total cards than the number of 1/1s you guys are talking about. There are right around 200 Wakefield 1/1s and I have 38, that's not including the Topps signature postseason set, since there's no checklist I can't be sure what's out there. I think I saw 14 1/1s from that release and I was able to get 12.

Members online