User Tag List

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do too. But other than this one and the 1993-4 Topps black gold redemptions, I haven't found any. Definitely plan to keep a lookout for them. Such nice rare additions to the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I love unredeemed redemption cards that feature a player image. I agree that most will be redeemed, so finding an unredeemed copy can be more difficult. I have gone so far as to keep copies of garvey redemption cards that are still active, but no days, when they do appear, they are expensive in their own right. I have not been able to keep one unredeemed since Fleer GOTG Auto.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want to post any of those Garvey redemptions? Curious to see them.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a few card display holders in the mail. I am putting them up in the dining room, so I can see the shininess every time I walk by. Planning to rotate these cards as the mood suits me. Here's what's on display today - the starting 9!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6898.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	95436

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    Want to post any of those Garvey redemptions? Curious to see them.
    I couldn't find all the scans at the moment, but here are most.

Name:	Garvey 17 Tristar Signature Series Batting Helmet.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	95437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fleer GOTG Redemption Auto Back.jpg 
Size:	971.1 KB 
ID:	95438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fleer GOTG Redemption Auto.jpg 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	95439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fleer GOTG Front.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	95440

The 5 GOTG redemptions were right before the bankruptcy. I can't remember now, but I either sent in all my unique redemptions and kept dupes or hopefully, I sent in my dupes and kept the unique ones. None of them were ever released, so the redemptions I have are all that remain for this issue.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a few card display holders in the mail. I am putting them up in the dining room, so I can see the shininess every time I walk by. Planning to rotate these cards as the mood suits me. Here's what's on display today - the starting 9!

Nice Crusade! but where are its big brothers?

I'm remembering that some protos didn't have a purp/red? Or was that just a rumor... who knows whats really out there.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a sweet setup, what's the one back center? 98 ultra platinum or is it something really cool I don't even know about?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I really like the 2002 GOTG ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I couldn't find all the scans at the moment, but here are most.

Name:	Garvey 17 Tristar Signature Series Batting Helmet.jpg 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	95437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fleer GOTG Redemption Auto Back.jpg 
Size:	971.1 KB 
ID:	95438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fleer GOTG Redemption Auto.jpg 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	95439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fleer GOTG Front.jpg 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	95440

The 5 GOTG redemptions were right before the bankruptcy. I can't remember now, but I either sent in all my unique redemptions and kept dupes or hopefully, I sent in my dupes and kept the unique ones. None of them were ever released, so the redemptions I have are all that remain for this issue.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha! Well, you see the one in the pic is the unreleased prototype! I've only ever seen the green, never a red or purple.

Quote Originally Posted by JVHaste View Post
    Nice Crusade! but where are its big brothers?

I'm remembering that some protos didn't have a purp/red? Or was that just a rumor... who knows whats really out there.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. The B&W one is the 98 Ultra Platinum. Not quite up to the magicpapa standards but getting there

Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    That's a sweet setup, what's the one back center? 98 ultra platinum or is it something really cool I don't even know about?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha! Well, you see the one in the pic is the unreleased prototype! I've only ever seen the green, never a red or purple.
    Yeah, I know that Alomar's main released Crusade was a CTA (I might have it somewhere), so Hastradamus inferred that one in the photo was a prototype.
    Some don't have a purp or red so that might be the only proto ever.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh. Yes, well, I may have had a few barley pops by the time I read your post...and didn't actually read it!

As far as the entire crusade run goes...there's of course the CTA red/purple/green. Then that "regular" unreleased card in green, then an executive CTA promo in purple. Those are the ones I've seen, all the others are anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JVHaste View Post
    Yeah, I know that Alomar's main released Crusade was a CTA (I might have it somewhere), so Hastradamus inferred that one in the photo was a prototype.
    Some don't have a purp or red so that might be the only proto ever.
    Last edited by banjar; 12-26-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the promos that have a red and purple are /2 green 1/1 purp 1/1 red, and the ones without it seems the greens are 1/1s. ... but who knows, there could be an employee stash somewhere.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other day I finally found a 2019 Panini Prizm gold /10, which completed the 28-card rainbow. I can't really explain why I decided to chase this thing. When I first read about it I remember seeing parallels called "lime green donut circles" and "power plaid" and "cosmic haze" and I guess something just snapped in my brain. I was all in. I've promised (threatened?) to make a poast about this rainbow once I got it done, so here it is.

First the entire silly thing:

Name:	prizm all.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	95529

Now in batches. For the non-numbered parallels, I spent some time today going through COMC and Ebay listings trying to estimate the print runs for these things. The numbers in parentheses are the rough guesses I came up with.

Batch #1 of the non-numbered parallels:
    Base card
    Silver - (450 copies) 3 per box - not the most inspired parallel, easy to mistake it for the base in the wrong light
    Red - (750 copies) - 5 per box
    Blue - (600 copies) - 4 per box
    Red/White/Blue - (150 copies) - exclusive to retail multi-packs

Name:	prizm 1.jpg 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	95530

Batch #2 of the non-numbered parallels:
    Purple - (100 copies) - exclusive to retail blaster boxes
    Pink - (85 copies)
    Carolina Blue - (25 copies) - initially many breakers were confused about what parallel was what, especially this one, and and were calling the blue or the blue mojo "Carolina blue".
    Green - (5 copies) - exclusive to retail - never thought I'd see this one!

Name:	prizm 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	95531

Batch #3 of the non-numbered parallels:
    Hyper Blue - (200 copies)
    Hyper Purple/Green - (125 copies)
    Hyper Green/Yellow - (75 copies) all the "hypers" have the same geometrical design, just different color combos
    Cosmic Haze - (100 copies)
    White Sparkle - (5 copies) - exclusive to Donruss Mega Boxes - I didn't have any idea how rare this was when I found one...haven't seen another once since.

Name:	prizm 3.jpg 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	95532

Batch #1 of the serial-numbered parallels:
    Blue Mojo - 399 copies - this same "mojo" pattern was used by Topps for the 2019 silver pack 1984 design cards
    Red Mojo - 299 copies
    Lime Green Donut Circles - 199 copies - love the donuts!
    Orange Donut Circles - 150 copies

Name:	prizm 4.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	95533

Batch #2 of the serial-numbered parallels - a series of black & white designs:
    Zebra Stripes - 99 copies
    Power Plaid - 75 copies
    Silver Wave - 60 copies
    Snake Skin - 50 copies

Name:	prizm 5.jpg 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	95534

Batch #3 of the serial-numbered parallels:
    Navy Blue Kaleidescopie - 35 copies - this one is cool with the little pinwheel effects, kind of like the 1998 PMG cards
    Burgundy Shimmer - 25 copies
    Gold Prizm - 10 copies
    Silver Shimmer - 7 copies - exclusive to First Off The Line boxes
    Forest Green Flash - 5 copies
    Black Finite - 1 copy - pretty cool pattern, have seen it before on other cards but can't remember where

Name:	prizm 6.jpg 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	95535
    Last edited by banjar; 12-30-2019 at 12:49 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been lean times lately when it comes to the ol' PC, but the pocketbook has gotten a rest so that's OK. I have added a few new pickups though...

2003 Donruss Timeless Treasures Past & Present Prime /25. This one has two jersey bits, one from the Indians and one from the Mets, and on the back it shows photos of the actual jerseys. I have never really been into GU cards and probably never will be, but this is one of the better ones.

Name:	IMG_7201.JPG 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	96643

2019 Topps 1984 design pink mini /25. A pink mini? Had to have it. I also picked up the base mini card, which was printed on demand and ended up with only 13 copies. Like I've said before, I picked up more 2019 cards than I should have, and fully intend to rein in the spending on 2020 issues.

Name:	IMG_7202.JPG 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	96644

This was a major acquisition. I find most of my PC cards on ebay, followed by comc and then beckett. Probably the same as most of us right? But every now and then I head to sportlots and see what's there. That site is great for picking up $0.18 commons and other low-end cards, but not so much for supercollectors chasing those weird and rare issues. But every now and then it pays off. I found this 2000 Pacific Prism Tinsel Silver card for $5 and could not believe my eyes. Other than the little-known seldom-seen "proof" parallel /10 (which I have), the Tinsel is definitely the rarest of the multitude of 2000 Prism parallels. I'm still missing the woodgrain and pebbly dots, but in time those will come. This was the one I thought I'd never see. Just goes to show you.

Name:	IMG_7203.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	96645

2000 Barry Colla Indians Postcards. No great shakes, but I like it. I had found two copies of the 2001 Colla Indians Postcard issue, but this one eluded me. Then it appeared for like $7 delivered, so the BIN button was summarily mashed. Curiously, the backs of the 2000 and 2001 cards are identical, with the same bits of data and the same text in the same positions. Only difference is that the facsimile autograph is distinctly different between the two cards.

Name:	IMG_7204.JPG 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	96647

Last one for today - 2014 Topps Five Star Auto of the Cobra himself! Back in the day, meaning 1990, I was a teenage kid trying to figure out his newfound love for baseball cards. My little brother - who is now taller than me - had started collecting earlier that year, and I thought it was totally lame - probably just because my little brother was interested in it. But before long I too realized that baseball cards were awesome. So we both really got into it, and of course we thought that all those junk wax rookie cards of Greg Jefferies and Todd Zeile were going to put us through college. But regardless of all that money that was coming my way in the FUTURE, I had to decide how to keep collecting as the hobby started exploding with a proliferation of sets, all of which were more expensive than the last.

So at first I decided I'd just collect certain sets. But that was too spendy. So then I thought I'd just collect rookie cards of all new players. More manageable, but still...I didn't really give a crap about Don Heinkel and Paul Gibson, so why was I buying their cards just because they were rookies? So then I decided I'd just collect my favorite players. At the time they were Robbie, Dave Parker, and Ramon Martinez. Robbie was a stud rookie who had a solid season for the Padres at age 20, and followed it up with even better numbers the next two seasons. Dave had a renaissance of sorts with the A's and Brewers, and some of his cards at the time had great photos which totally made him look like the badass he was (and is). And Ramon was a 22-year old 20-game winner. So I decided I'd collect every card of those three guys. Simple, right?

Well, it didn't take long to realize that this was also unmanageable. So I decided to pare down my collecting to just my favorite player, and that's how my collection of 4343 different Robbie cards got its start. BUT! I still have a bunch of the old Dave Parker cards, including his 1974 Topps rookie, and last month I decided I needed a nice on-card auto. So here it is. The 2014 Five Star auto design is awesome. I love this card, and I still love Dave Parker.

Name:	IMG_7205.JPG 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	96648

PS - Is that a badass card or what? If anyone says the 2014 Topps Five Star Auto cards blow, I'm ready to fight you right now!
    Last edited by banjar; 02-05-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in 2017 I posted an 11-card almost rainbow of 2003 Topps. Only missing the Topps Black /52. Well, that one came in late last year so since I have nothing better to do at the moment, here's a pic of all 12!

Name:	IMG_7207.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	96693

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast