Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I keep a detailed spreadsheet to track my PC. It's called "advanced metrics" :)

So I was looking at this tonight, and I saw the following figures for the past 5 years. First column is year, second is total number of unique cards produced that year, third is the number I own, and fourth is the % I own.

2014 216 74 34.3
2015 245 74 30.2
2016 247 93 37.7
2017 249 91 36.5
2018 289 19 6.6

So for in recent years I'll end up with 30-some percent of available cards. This year, less than 7%. I've mentioned before that I've had it with the glut of stupid modern releases for a guy who's been retired 13 years, but I hadn't looked at my stats in a while and didn't realize how little I cared about 2018 releases. I have a bid out on ebay for the 2018 Archives Rookie History Auto /99, since it's a 1988 Topps Traded reprint which I kinda like. But beyond that? I might be totally done with 2018.

Even if Alomar had been in 2018 Tek, which I would have chased, that would still have only brought me to like 15% of available cards. So basically half of previous years. And something tells me I'll have even less enthusiasm for 2019.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I keep a detailed spreadsheet to track my PC. It's called "advanced metrics" :)

So I was looking at this tonight, and I saw the following figures for the past 5 years. First column is year, second is total number of unique cards produced that year, third is the number I own, and fourth is the % I own.

2014 216 74 34.3
2015 245 74 30.2
2016 247 93 37.7
2017 249 91 36.5
2018 289 19 6.6

So in recent years I'd usually end up with 30-some percent of available cards. This year, less than 7%. I've mentioned before that I've had it with the glut of stupid modern releases for a guy who's been retired 13 years. A bat chip with an auto numbered to 75, with 6 parallels going down to the 1/1. Whatever. I just don't care.

But I hadn't looked at my stats in a while and didn't realize how little I cared about 2018 releases. I do have a bid on ebay for the 2018 Archives Rookie History Auto /99, since it's a 1988 Topps Traded reprint which I kinda like. But beyond that? I might be totally done with 2018.

Even if Alomar had been in 2018 Tek, which I would have chased, that would still have only brought me to like 15% of available cards. So basically half of previous years. And something tells me I'll have even less enthusiasm for 2019.

diwhite

Oct 14, 2012
I know exactly how you feel, I've been trying to find the 1991 non-glow back version of one of the Kelly Gruber cards (#369) and I haven't had any luck after several sportslots orders. I've also never had any luck finding the INC. version of the 1992 Leaf Gold card either.

Got some neat cards in recently, so why not post a few here in the good ol' Alomar collectors thread...

Wow, a 1991 Bowman card. What a score! I know, it's a junk era common. But the real story is even more pathetic. I learned about the 1991 Topps and Bowman glow backs here on this board, and so I immediately sorted my commons and found I had both of the Topps variations, glow back and non-glow back. But for Bowman I only had the glow back. It was a low priority, but I picked up a couple cards here and there hoping they would be the non-glow back versions. But no luck.

Then I splurged and bought 18 copies of the card from sportlots, plus a couple others. But in the meantime I had put my UV flashlight (which I bought for this purpose) in the basement. The basement is now completely full of my and my friend's crap, so now I couldn't find it (don't ask, it's a long story, but it does not involve a domineering girlfriend who hates my stuff). Anyhoo, I finally ordered another UV flashlight from ebay, only to find that all of the 18 cards I bought from sportlots were the same glow back that I already had. However, one of the duplicates I already had turned out to be the non-glow back version, I just missed it the first time around. Damnit. So I probably wasted $15 on getting the stupid 1991 Bowman non-glow back variation card. I know you all will understand this though, that's why I'm telling you, my therapists.

View attachment 84100

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I've actually become convinced the 1992 Leaf Black Gold INC. card does not exist for Alomar. If I remember right it was because the INC. version is only for series 2 and Alomar is in series 1 (and so is Gruber).

I know exactly how you feel, I've been trying to find the 1991 non-glow back version of one of the Kelly Gruber cards (#369) and I haven't had any luck after several sportslots orders. I've also never had any luck finding the INC. version of the 1992 Leaf Gold card either.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Today I had one of the most random PC finds I've ever had. I don't know what inspired me to do this, but I looked at COMC at the 2016 Tek Pattern 2 listings (cubes/buckles), to see if perhaps somebody had mis-listed one of the infamous and elusive arrows patterns. One in a million shot right?

Well there it was, in all its undiluted glory:

2016 tek arrows.jpg

A cool $0.75 later and that sucker was mine.

diwhite

Oct 14, 2012
Wow, this is great insight! I just glanced through the other Blue Jays players in this set on COMC and several series 2 cards have INC. but none of the series 1 cards. I think I'm convinced. I know that the Mark Grace collector hasn't been able to find one either and sure enough Grace is also in series 1: http://www.markgrace.com/backvariations.html

I guess I can stop buying up the Gruber cards from this set now. Thanks!

I've actually become convinced the 1992 Leaf Black Gold INC. card does not exist for Alomar. If I remember right it was because the INC. version is only for series 2 and Alomar is in series 1 (and so is Gruber).

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Today I had one of the most random PC finds I've ever had. I don't know what inspired me to do this, but I looked at COMC at the 2016 Tek Pattern 2 listings (cubes/buckles), to see if perhaps somebody had mis-listed one of the infamous and elusive arrows patterns. One in a million shot right?

Well there it was, in all its undiluted glory:

View attachment 86151

A cool $0.75 later and that sucker was mine.

Wicked sweet, congrats

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Damnit!

Well, truth be told, I wasn't 100% positive about its existence, so I never actually erased it from my "may or may not exist" list. Guess I'll keep trawling COMC now and then to see if it pops up. Maybe I'll do that now since I had such great luck with random COMC finds today...

Here's a weird twist, every Cal Ripken Jr card on COMC seems to have INC. and he's from series 1 :-/

https://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/1992/Leaf_-_Base_-_Gold/52/Cal_Ripken_Jr/2005211
View attachment 86152

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
So, thank you for pointing out the back variations page on Brad's Grace website. At the very bottom there's a 1994 Topps Black Gold variation with 1993 or 1994 copyright. I had no idea these existed! From COMC it seems both variations are not too tough to find.

Wow, this is great insight! I just glanced through the other Blue Jays players in this set on COMC and several series 2 cards have INC. but none of the series 1 cards. I think I'm convinced. I know that the Mark Grace collector hasn't been able to find one either and sure enough Grace is also in series 1: http://www.markgrace.com/backvariations.html

I guess I can stop buying up the Gruber cards from this set now. Thanks!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I've already posted this pickup on another thread or two, but I just can't help it..
1996 mirror gold front.jpg

And while we're on the topic of spending real money on cards, here's this one. When I saw it come up for auction I realized I had completely forgotten that it existed. It's a cool card though, the blue ink version of this 1999 auto card, numbered to 50. Cost me more than I thought it would, but who knows when another one will pop up.
1999 skybox blue ink.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Greetings and salutations. It's late on a Saturday night and time for another post about the miniscule niche that is my collection. A few recent pickups, which I am really looking forward to seeing in-hand when I get home. Nothing too valuable, but I really love this stuff.

2019 Topps Throwback Thursday in the 1960-61 Topps hockey style. I've said before that I'm almost completely over chasing new releases, but I will buy base cards when they come out and maybe a cool insert or parallel...or an unusual online offering...if they catch my eye. Like this one. Pretty cool.

2019 topps tbt.png

1996 Topps Laser sell sheet. I love items with pictures of cards on them. Wax boxes, sell sheets, promo posters, you name it. So I snapped this one up pretty quickly.

1996 topps laser sell sheet.jpg

I didn't know what to make of this one when I first saw it on ebay. It looks like an old 1970's Puerto Rican oddball card. Is it a fake? A legit oddball from way back when? Google had nothing to help me. The seller had nothing else like this for sale, so I figured it's probably real. I mean printing this up yourself would be a pretty obscure way to make a buck. Also it looks old. A few little blemishes here and there, also hard to fake. So it's probably real. But is it a card? The seller had a pic of it in a normal size top loader and it seems 2.5" x 3.5", plus the text and photos fit the format, So probably a card. And the Albergue Olimpico seems a well known center for athletes in Puerto Rico. So what the hell, I snagged it. The best part is that, by far, this is Robbie's first card. Not a throwback, not a "for kids" insert showing a player at a young age, but an actual card from the time when he was hanging out with dad and the family at a Yankees game. Bowman puts out "rookie" cards of players before they get anywhere near MLB, but they have nothing on this one.

albergue olimpico front.jpg albergue olimpico back.jpg

I don't remember how exactly I found this one. It's a card from 2001 MLB showdown, but the price guides don't list the player's name. So I found it kind of by accident. This is actually the second such card from this same set, where Robbie is pictured but not listed on any checklist. Ah! I spend a lot of time trolling the webs for sh!t like this, probably too much. But it's strangely enjoyable and comforting, and I always get a charge on the rare occasion I find something like this. Especially for cheap.

Defense---Soft-Hands.jpg

Last one. Another highly elusive Pacific Parallel! 2000 Vanguard Premier date. Can't tell these from the front, because for some reason they put the stamp on the back.

2000 vanguard premier date front.jpg 2000 vanguard premier date back.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yes. I even made a note on my wantlist to look for the stamp on the backs of any 2000 Vanguards for sale, just in case the seller missed it. In the end my copy ended up being properly listed, and at a decent price. Glad to have it off my wantlist.

As of Pacific was difficult enough, the stamp on the back would make it near impossible

mooshoo

Aug 22, 2017
YOU!!! I was 2nd high bidder on that Skybox Autographics /50 lol. Congrats on getting it...we should really not outbid each other. Just costing us more $ haha.

Members online