Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What the heck is the deal here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Bingo ^^

The card that's listed on eBay was likely backdoored and stamped afterwards. The font is wrong.

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
Here's a pic of a Jeter Mirror Black listed on eBay side-by-side with the Ripken you linked to. The serial number should look like the one on the Jeter.

32074707846_8f2cefc76c.jpg
32074817456_3f821186ee.jpg

The Ripken currently listed is likely a backdoored replacement which was stamped by someone other than Donruss.

I have a Mark Mulder 2002 Leaf Certified Mirror Black Patch which is NOT NUMBERED. I purchased it off eBay and the listing specifically stated that it was a replacement housed in Donruss' vault.

Last edited:

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
Here's a pic of a Jeter Mirror Black listed on eBay. This is what the serial number should look like.

32074707846_8f2cefc76c.jpg

The Ripken currently listed is likely a backdoored replacement which was stamped by someone other than Donruss.

I have a Mark Mulder 2002 Leaf Certified Mirror Black Patch which is NOT NUMBERED. I purchased it off eBay and the listing specifically stated that it was a replacement housed in Donruss' vault.

I don't have a pic but mine is like the font you posted.
I'm thinking about buying it and destroying it, depends what it brings

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Yep, I own several 2003 Leaf Certified serial numbered cards and I can tell you that the one being sold is totally bogus. The font on the serial number is WAY off! Notice that the bottom of the number 1's look like they have a line under them whereas yours does not... none of my cards do either. Also, the zeroes look too round.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013

Dude. Don't do that.

I have two copies of the same "1/1" card from Topps. The mini mini's pulled from mini rip cards from 2014 Allen & Ginters. I count them both in my 1'1's. I sure paid enough for them to count.

Shown here with the 1/1 glossy box topper and 1/1 mini wood for comparison:

2014 TOPPS A&G 1 OF 1'S 1.jpg2014 TOPPS A&G 1 OF 1'S 2.jpg

Scott F

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I'm always impressed by how many members can instantly spot things like the numbering looking off.

Collecting: Phil Bickford, Brandon Wood (still), Yankees and Rockies

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I am no expert here, but it is more than the font. Here is a snip of the bottom of the cards, notice the image in the far right...

Capture.JPG

Those logos are not the same. The Jeter is on the left.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Dude. Don't do that.

I have two copies of the same "1/1" card from Topps. The mini mini's pulled from mini rip cards from 2014 Allen & Ginters. I count them both in my 1'1's. I sure paid enough for them to count.

Shown here with the 1/1 glossy box topper and 1/1 mini wood for comparison:

View attachment 66608View attachment 66609

Scott F

But the difference here is that you own genuine cards. The card in the auction is not a genuine DLP issued 1/1. I would agree with bigalbert's sentiment to want to destroy it, it's a fake.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009

If you bought it, you could also seek to have Beckett buy it back from you on the basis that they erred in authentication. My understanding is that PSA will buy back their errors, perhaps Beckett does too.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
If you bought it, you could also seek to have Beckett buy it back from you on the basis that they erred in authentication. My understanding is that PSA will buy back their errors, perhaps Beckett does too.

That is something I did not know, thanks for that info

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014

The only thing Beckett is guilty of is grading the signature a 10. It is exactly what they say it is: A real card, autographed by Ripken.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Jeter was an active player, thus the MLB Player's Logo; Ripken was a retired HOFer, thus the Cooperstown Logo. This is common practice still today for HOFers. DLP was correct here. Like others have said, auction is a backdoored card.

Well, like I said, I am no expert on it. Good info.

Members online