Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 HOF Dream League: Games 1-4 (FOLDED)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
[MENTION=2759]Therion[/MENTION], [MENTION=2289]Zan[/MENTION], [MENTION=10072]Juan Gris[/MENTION], [MENTION=9871]timtom[/MENTION], [MENTION=5090]oiccup41[/MENTION], [MENTION=4070]pootshwan[/MENTION], [MENTION=2423]WoundedDuck[/MENTION], [MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION], [MENTION=9071]Enfuego79[/MENTION], [MENTION=8883]EtherealSOC[/MENTION], [MENTION=2612]Johnny G[/MENTION], [MENTION=4428]MrMet[/MENTION], [MENTION=1843]rob167[/MENTION], [MENTION=7029]elmontny[/MENTION], [MENTION=1740]bmx807[/MENTION], [MENTION=2257]JEBJJA[/MENTION], [MENTION=1866]muskiesfan[/MENTION], [MENTION=11496]goobmcnasty[/MENTION], [MENTION=1934]steve-a-reno[/MENTION], [MENTION=5808]nerdherd020[/MENTION], [MENTION=5968]deujr61[/MENTION], [MENTION=9603]corockies[/MENTION], [MENTION=12817]eppd3707[/MENTION], [MENTION=5359]clarkzac[/MENTION], [MENTION=11981]WCTYSON[/MENTION], [MENTION=1837]Dazed[/MENTION]

Welcome to the 2017 HOF Dream League!

Everything you need to know can be found in this thread, but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

This is an easy game to play, but everyone is responsible for scoring their own team each week and posting their results to this thread. No one will do it for you. If you fail to score your team's games by the weekly deadline, you will receive 0 points for those games.

The schedule will be posted by tomorrow. The first 4 games of your season must be scored/posted no later than January 15th.

FORMAT

This is a 26 team head-to-head league comprised exclusively of Hall of Famers.

Each team is labelled from A-Z, is 100% randomly generated, and includes:

12 hitters (8 starting, 4 bench)
5 starting pitchers
1 Manager
1 Closer

Each contestant selected one of these letters along with a number when they signed up. See the "Scoring" section below for details on what this number means.

This league is split into two 13 team divisions (Teams A-M and Teams N-Z).

Teams will play everyone in their division once (12 game "season").

Due to the odd number of teams in each division, one team will always be on a bye.

At the end of the season, the top 4 teams in each division will advance to the playoffs.

If two or more teams finish with the same Win/Loss record, the team having the most regular season "runs" will place higher in the standings. If still tied, the team with the fewest "runs" allowed will place higher in the standings.

Win your divsion to advance to the Championship for all the glory...and a cool prize to boot.

Consolation prizes are also available to 2nd and 3rd place.

***TEAMS***

***TEAMS (COPY/PASTE)***

PLAYOFFS

1st Round
Best of 3
1 and 2 has home field advantage (1.5 "run" bonus for each game, if necessary)
1 vs. 4
2 vs. 3

Division Championship
Best of 5
highest seed has home field advantage

League Championship
Best of 7
highest seed has home field advantage

SCORING

Using Baseball Reference, points are scored by looking up a real-life stat in a given season for each individual on your team.

Compare each of those totals to those from the same type of individual on your opponent's team to determine a winner.

Example: Catcher vs. Catcher, Starting Pitcher #1 vs. Starting Pitcher #1 , Bench Player 3 vs. Bench Player 3).

That's it! Just a straight up comparison. No math, no multipliers, nothing else.

The individual with the higher total will win their battle and will score between 1 and 3 runs.

Hitters: 1 run each
Manager/Closer: 2 runs each
Starting pitcher: 3 runs each

The team with the most combined "runs" wins that game.

If an individual matchup results in a tie, the individual with the highest career total will score the "runs".

NOTES

The "home team" for each matchup will receive a 1.5 "run" bonus, if they didn't win outright. This means the visitor must win by 2 or more "runs" to claim a road victory.

Bonus "runs" are not counted in the season totals when used as a tiebreaker. See the bottom of the "Format" section above.

You will begin the season with your 1st Starting Pitcher (SP1), and then go to SP2 for the 2nd game, SP3 for the 3rd game, etc... After you have played your 5th game, you go to the top of your rotation for your 6th game (SP1). And so on...

All other individuals on your team play every game with the exception of the four starting pitchers who are resting.

See the scoring chart below to let you know which statistic you are looking at for each individual.

The number you selected when you signed up for this league is the season you will refer to for your first game of the season. This number will increase by 1 for each game thereafter.

If the number you are currently on exceeds the number of seasons a player/manager had in their career, you simply continue counting back at their first season.

Example: Player A had an 11 year career, but you are currently on year 28. In this case, you would go through Player A's career twice (22 years), and then down to his 6th year to get to 28.

Baseball-Reference must be used when looking up your team's stats.

Be careful to only count seasons, and not individual lines on the player's page. When a player has been traded mid-season, BR has a handy "hide partial" link right above his stats to show only the calendar years he played.

SCORING CHART

Here are the categories we will use for all games.

Just remember to move down one season and one starting pitcher after each game.

Hitters: Hits
Starting Pitchers: Strikeouts
Manager: Wins
Closer: Saves

SAMPLE MATCHUP

Okay, you've read through the entire post so far and may be a little confused. Not to worry! Here's a complete walkthrough of a sample matchup.

Here we have Team 1 vs. Team 2
Team 2 is home, so they will receive a 1.5 "run" bonus, if necessary
Team 1 is currently on season 14
Team 2 is currently on season 22

Using the scoring chart from above:

Here are the steps we'd take to determine a winner:

SAMPLE MATCHUP

SCHEDULE

GAMES 1-4

RESULTS

GAME 1
GAME 2
GAME 3
GAME 4

STANDINGS

Last edited:

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
I see the scoring page, but the team page is still down. I bet you're working on it, excited to begin!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Sorry, folks. Webs.com was giving me fits this morning. I just checked all the links now, though, and everything seems to work fine.

Any questions, just ask!

Good luck to all.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Can't wait! Always fun!
Holy cr#p! [MENTION=1740]bmx807[/MENTION] has Babe Ruth, Ted Williams and Jackie Robinson on his bench!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Can't wait! Always fun!
Holy cr#p! [MENTION=1740]bmx807[/MENTION] has Babe Ruth, Ted Williams and Jackie Robinson on his bench!

Mighty impressive, but no guarantee they will win their matchups!

All depends on the stage of their career and the stat that comes into play. Enos Slaughter could take down Ruth if the stars align!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
This is going to be a lot of fun. Honestly I'm a little worried I'm going to mess up on the calculations. I may have to ask some questions but I'll figure it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

You will see how easy this is to play! Absolutely no calculations.

Pro tip: Once you have a players page open, just mark their total for all games this week.

Just remember to use the right stat and season for each game. That's it!

Any questions at all, just ask.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
My head hurts.....lol

So we are using these for the first weeks games?
Hitters: Batting Average
Closer: Innings

Also, just need the points total for our team posted?

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
My head hurts.....lol

So we are using these for the first weeks games?
Hitters: Batting Average
Closer: Innings

Also, just need the points total for our team posted?

No, the categories for game 1 are:

Starting Pitcher: Innngs
Closer: ERA

Check the Scoring Chart.

Otherwise, you just have to post those totals for each pkayer for your starting season (31).

Once your opponent posts their totals, I'll tally your "runs" (points).

Hope that makes sense!

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
[MENTION=3744]cjedmonton[/MENTION], is there a specific format for how you want us to post our individual game totals? I wrote out my totals by hand (and my opponents' totals to figure out the game scores) but am unsure how to share what.

Thanks for creating another cool game for FCB!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
[MENTION=2759]Therion[/MENTION], [MENTION=2289]Zan[/MENTION], [MENTION=10072]Juan Gris[/MENTION], [MENTION=9871]timtom[/MENTION], [MENTION=5090]oiccup41[/MENTION], [MENTION=4070]pootshwan[/MENTION], [MENTION=2423]WoundedDuck[/MENTION], [MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION], [MENTION=9071]Enfuego79[/MENTION], [MENTION=8883]EtherealSOC[/MENTION], [MENTION=2612]Johnny G[/MENTION], [MENTION=4428]MrMet[/MENTION], [MENTION=1843]rob167[/MENTION], [MENTION=7029]elmontny[/MENTION], [MENTION=1740]bmx807[/MENTION], [MENTION=2257]JEBJJA[/MENTION], [MENTION=1866]muskiesfan[/MENTION], [MENTION=11496]goobmcnasty[/MENTION], [MENTION=1934]steve-a-reno[/MENTION], [MENTION=5808]nerdherd020[/MENTION], [MENTION=5968]deujr61[/MENTION], [MENTION=9603]corockies[/MENTION], [MENTION=12817]eppd3707[/MENTION], [MENTION=5359]clarkzac[/MENTION], [MENTION=11981]WCTYSON[/MENTION], [MENTION=1837]Dazed[/MENTION]

Really sorry, everyone. This contest did not get off on the right foot.

Here are a few changes to simplify things:

1. A raw text list of everyone's team has been added under "Teams" so you can easily copy/paste when posting your results.

2. For the entire season, we will only use the following categories:

*You still have to move down one season after each game.

3. The "Sample Matchup" link has been updated to reflect the categories we'll be using.

I hope this helps!

As always, my goal is to provide fun contests for the board.

However, if we don't get at least at least 10 players to post their results by Sunday the 15th, we'll just move on from this.

Thanks for the interest!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
[MENTION=3744]cjedmonton[/MENTION], is there a specific format for how you want us to post our individual game totals? I wrote out my totals by hand (and my opponents' totals to figure out the game scores) but am unsure how to share what.

Thanks for creating another cool game for FCB!

Thanks for getting a head start, but unfortunately, the rules have slightly changed to help simplify the game. Please see post #18 for details. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Members online

Latest posts