Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Line-Up Card Collection - 12/29/2019 - Pedro 1st win

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
If you get a chance, I think the line-up cards that I really like were from Don Wakamatsu.. I used to see them and thought about picking one up..

Here's an example..

lineup.jpg

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
When it rains it pours... not a HOF but someone I've been trying to find for a while. I have a carbon copy of Hodges I'd deal if anyone is interested...

Attachments

• Hodges, Gil Senators 9-22-1967.jpg
    Hodges, Gil Senators 9-22-1967.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 10

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Do you mean Alston here? He managed until 1976, so he was nowhere near the end of his career at that point.

I had another one that was towards the end of his career (1971) after most of the legendary Dodgers retired. So when I had a chance to deal for this one with Koufax, I was really excited.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Excited to pick up this Dodger's lineup cards from 1956. Signed by HOF Manager Walt Alston on the back, and the lineup features legends including Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Reese, Duke Snider, Roy Campanella and Gil Hodges.

This particular lineup card has an interesting story. Back in 2014 it was sold by the auction house Mears, as a "1955 circa Brooklyn Dodgers Original Lineup Card." It looked similar to how it looks now except the lineup card did not have a date written on the card.

2 years later the lineup card was sold by Mears again, this time in a lot. The strange thing was that now the lineup card was dated: "5/12/1956". The listing made the reason for the addition of the date obvious. On 5/12/1956 Carl Erskine pitched a no-hitter. Looking at 5/12/1956 the lineup that is on the card is a perfect match. The problem is that this exact lineup was used 4 times in 1956, and Erskine only pitched a no-hitter on one of them.

A little while later the item was listed at Lelands. This was the first time I came across the item, and I learned the rest of this story doing some research. I sent the info to Lelands and they pulled the listing. I was disappointed since I was still interested in the lineup card.

A while later the lineup card ended up on eBay looking as it does not (with the date blacked out). The account is from the sister of the owner of Lelands. The items sold then for $400+ and while disappointed, the price was pretty steep.

This past week the lineup card was once again listed from the same account. I'm not sure what the story is, and I think there is a chance there was some shill bidding now as well (the second highest bidder has 100% bidding with this seller over the last 30 days) but I bid an amount I was ok with, and am pleased I won it.

Attachments

• Alston, Walter 1956 Front.jpg
    Alston, Walter 1956 Front.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Alston, Walter 1956 Back.jpg
    Alston, Walter 1956 Back.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 8

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Nice addition on the Jackie Robinson lineup card!!!!!

Thanks! It’s amazing how hard these are to find given that they had them from every game. Prob 99%+ were just tossed in the trash since they weren’t viewed as anything worth keeping (I’d say that even today more people don’t really think of them as collectibles lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Interesting pickup here. Murray was never a manager so not sure when this is from. I assume that it was from a game he coached, not sure on the Majors or Minors. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

IMG_4537.JPG

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Funaro and Wakeland never made the bigs, so, must be minors...gotta do more research...

I definitely appreciate any help. It looks like there are few Marlins there but I couldn't find any connection between Murray and the Marlins, at least at first glance.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I definitely appreciate any help. It looks like there are few Marlins there but I couldn't find any connection between Murray and the Marlins, at least at first glance.
I'm thinking it has to do with the 1999 AFL, but I cant find a whole lot of information regarding the league

Edit- Definitelt the 1999 Arizona Fall League. Very minimal information about the league that year, but COMC has some 1999 AFL prospect cards listed

Last edited:

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos