Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Line-Up Card Collection - 12/29/2019 - Pedro 1st win

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
This is the first new HOF’er lineup card I’ve gotten in months. Lineup features Ted Williams in his prime, among with Dom DiMaggio and Johnny Pesky.

Joe McCarthy is better known for managing some of the great Yankee teams, winning 7 World Series from 1931-1946. He ended his career as the manager of the Red Sox, as shown here.

Really pumped about this one. It’s been a pretty nice week for the collection!

IMG_5722.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
How do you store these bad boys? You always post such great pieces of baseball history. Thanks for sharing these.

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
Well the last 2 modern lineup cards didnt seem to excite people, (other than me) so let’s try for a vintage one.

Signed by manager and former Yankee from the 1930’s Red Rolfe

Your lineup cards are really interesting and I check all your posts to see the history you dig up on every one of these you post. I appreciate that you do this, enjoy seeing these, and am fascinated by all the tidbits you come up with on these cards. Thanks for continuing to share, your posts don't go unread!

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
How do you store these bad boys? You always post such great pieces of baseball history. Thanks for sharing these.

Thanks! One of the nice things about them is that they are actually part of the game and used by the managers (and umpires) so condition is much less of a big deal. A large percentage of managers would fold them in half (Lasorda actually kept the ones he had in his personal collection stored folded in half, likely for 20+ years....)

I keep the better ones in large top loaders, but also have a big box full of lineup cards that are loose, since as mentioned, it is not a real concern if anything minor happens to them. (Along with the ones I post, I've picked up close to 2000 lineup cards, They are a really cheap and fun way to get a game-used collectible; many of them feature Hall-of-Fame players and/or fan favorites, you can often find one from a game with a nice home run or great pitching performance, and they usually have the manager's signatures (whether it is the top copy or a carbon copy)

Your lineup cards are really interesting and I check all your posts to see the history you dig up on every one of these you post. I appreciate that you do this, enjoy seeing these, and am fascinated by all the tidbits you come up with on these cards. Thanks for continuing to share, your posts don't go unread!

I appreciate that, and definitely enjoy doing the research on the games and finding interesting facts. For me a part of it is remembering the first game I went to. It was a game that was supremely unimportant in the grand scheme of baseball, but that specific game, there with a bunch of my extended family, was super cool. Each lineup is linked to a specific game in a very real fashion, as the lineup (and almost always the date) from the game is listed, and it was used to actually set the official lineup for the game. I think that's super cool.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
On April 25th 1995, the Dodgers played the Marlins in the 1st game after the strike that ended the 1994 baseball season.

IMG_5738.JPG

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Jim Palmer’s 3rd career win and Harvey Haddix final career save. Dugout wall lineup card from 1965. Also interesting is Mitch Pappas who would later be part of one of the worst trades in baseball history (uniting the Robinson’s).

IMG_5769.JPG

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
My Line-Up Card Collection - 4/2/2019

I recently bought a large lot of lineup cards that came from Tommy Lasorda’s personal collection (they were the source of a number of recent posts).

When I bought the collection I actually agreed to split it with someone. We got together a few weeks ago and divided up the lot.

When we split them, there was one lineup card that he ended up with that I was particularly interested in, though willing to pass on it to be able to get the Piazza 1st home run and and Pedro MLB debut and 1st win.

We met again last night to split another lot (no huge items ID’d but some really nice lineup cards from the AL 1985-1986).

He mentioned to me that he was open to selling the lineup card he received. We worked out a deal and here it is.

The 13th perfect game in MLB history and first to be pitched by someone born outside the US.

Lasorda notes the perfect game on the Dodgers lineup card.

IMG_5778.JPG

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
A couple of weeks ago someone reached out to me via Facebook regarding lineup cards. He mentioned that he had a vintage Cubs lineup card and wanted to know if I would be interested. We got into a conversation and it turned out that he has a sports card/memorabilia store and had picked up a serious lot of vintage lineup cards from the 1950's. He said that he believes they originated with HOF Billy Herman although that could not be confirmed.

He told me to make an offer and if it was enough he would take it. Otherwise he was sending them to an auction house. I've been collecting these for a few years and there were some items there were lineups with players I've never found a lineup of before.

I was thinking I would share them over the next few days. Really excited about these. First picture in a couple of minutes...

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
This one is from 7/1/1955. An 11-7 loss to the Cubs. The lot included 3 Cardinals lineup cards. This one is in the worst shape, but I’m posting it because in the game Musial hit his 16th homerun of the season.

IMG_5960.JPG

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
8/26/1954 NY Giants lineup card. Mays won the MVP and the Giants won the World Series

IMG_5965.JPG
IMG_5966.JPG

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I like reading your additions with the history behind the game.

Do you happen to have any old Brooklyn Dodgers cards where Don Zimmer was in the lineup?

9/9/1955 - Zimmer hit the last 2 home runs of his rookie season and Brooklyn won the WS

IMG_5985.JPG

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
1955 Pittsburgh Pirates. Roberto Clemente’s rookie season. Super excited about this one. The collection had a couple of these and I think there’s a chance they are the only ones that still exist (same with the Banks rookie ones)

IMG_5964.JPG

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Wow, nice job landing the deal [MENTION=2002]Topnotchsy[/MENTION]

One thing I love about those, away from the players and game feats, is the fantastic handwriting that has been lost over generations!

Members online

Latest posts