User Tag List

Thread: Help authenticating auto

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help authenticating auto

Could anyone help me out with this Old Hoss Radbourn signature? I bought it at an auction a couple years ago. It came with a COA from Autograph Certification Experts (ACE) which is a company started by Justin Priddy who left GAI. Has anyone used this company before or know anything more about them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160714_213927.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	66923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160714_213934.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	66924

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I, personally, don't touch ACE... but it could be fine on a case-by-case basis.

That said. It SEEMS okay, but I'd be a little put off by the fact that it was cut out of the full check, since there's likely other things on the full check that could help authenticate it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be blunt:

Charles Radbourn is one of the toughest autographs out there, and ACE is one of the worst authenticators. They are rightfully banned from eBay, and I have seen countless fakes authenticated by them. Unfortunately, I think this is one of them.

If you believe it's real and want to sell it, you would really need to get either JSA or PSA/DNA to authenticate it, which (without looking) I'm going to guess would cost you $200+. And I think you'll kiss that goodbye because I think they'll say it's no good. I've been wrong before and could be wrong here, but I collect HOF autographs and am not interested in that Radbourne because of the ACE cert that is with it.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would put it on ebay and then use the quick opinion option (if they still do that)

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't already ask on Net54 which has many more people focused on this kind of thing.

Personally I'd leave out of the info if the COA so as not to bias the perspectives, though for your own knowledge remember that this is not a company with a great reputation, and the value of a rare autograph like that is much much higher with authentication for a reliable source (which should make you skeptical).

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JSA is around every month and sometimes multiple times per. If I see the rep I will at least show him and get some sort of opinion on it for you.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When asking real or fake on this I would definitely not say it has ace certification.

TopNotch is right.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for their input. I guess I screwed up by saying it came with the ACE cert, because I was looking to see if I should get an opinion from PSA on this. I submitted this with JSA at a show a while back. They actually told me they wanted more time to review the piece as some of their people believed it could be authentic. However, it ultimately failed. I guess it will go back into my collection and I'll just keep thinking that there is a chance it's real.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was this you who asked about the same cut autograph in 2015, or the previous owner?

https://live.autographmagazine.com/fo...ource=activity
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

arturohillo
     arturohillo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eppd3707 View Post
    Thanks everyone for their input. I guess I screwed up by saying it came with the ACE cert, because I was looking to see if I should get an opinion from PSA on this. I submitted this with JSA at a show a while back. They actually told me they wanted more time to review the piece as some of their people believed it could be authentic. However, it ultimately failed. I guess it will go back into my collection and I'll just keep thinking that there is a chance it's real.
    Sorry, but it sounds very fake
    Edgar Gonzalez Collection: - the 1/1's: 108/111 (97.3%) Have 12 1/1s out of 29
    Jorge Cantu Collection: 487 / 688 (70.78%), 58 1/1s (14 non plates)
    - the 1/1's: 429/443 (96.84%)
    Total Mexican Collection: 4,326
    Mexican autographs: 129/130 and on baseballs 118/130

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was me. I didn't get any help on that site.

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "MIGHTY " has spoken . trust his wisdom on this field

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love for it to be real but I think there are less than 20 known Old Hoss Radbourne signatures in the world. I wouldn't touch one without full letters from PSA, JSA, and Ron Keurajian. Even then there's a good chance it was stolen from a public institution.

His autographs are so rare they make Christy Mathewson auto's look as common as Bob Feller.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.