User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cards you'd never think are valuable

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halonut View Post
    Just how valuable/rare is the corrected Matt Pender with the gold back? I have 2-3 which I received from UD years ago.
    No clue, have never seen one come up for sale. The silver back ones almost never come up anymore either.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    No clue, have never seen one come up for sale. The silver back ones almost never come up anymore either.
    I recall reading in a Beckett that ud would send you a correct version for every error sent in.

Apparently extremely few did so but I remember buying a lot of errors solely to send them in for corrected versions.

I probably have about 5 corrected silver's left.

DTA

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the correct Pender Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1485717739031.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	67139

DTA

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like so many errors/variations, this one involves a fairly unpopular player. It is definitely the master set collectors, however few or many there may be for a particular issue, that drive value on this type of thing. I have a number of errors and variations, but have never really gotten into the whole culture of it much. I just can't see paying $100s for common players just because there are only speculated to be a handful or cards existing. The Witt card is a perfect example of blind trust that the market won't spit out a previously unknown and unpredictable 800 count box of new mint examples to water down the pool! It is great that a segment of the hobby really goes after these, but it's not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    A set very few master collect, wildly unpopular and lacking any key rcs. The card is very rare, at this point easily rarer than a 1990 UD Mike Witt but so few people care to own it. $22 is a steal.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    Like so many errors/variations, this one involves a fairly unpopular player. It is definitely the master set collectors, however few or many there may be for a particular issue, that drive value on this type of thing. I have a number of errors and variations, but have never really gotten into the whole culture of it much. I just can't see paying $100s for common players just because there are only speculated to be a handful or cards existing. The Witt card is a perfect example of blind trust that the market won't spit out a previously unknown and unpredictable 800 count box of new mint examples to water down the pool! It is great that a segment of the hobby really goes after these, but it's not my thing.

I definitely understand that. My own Variations collections is tiny now. But the fun is mostly in the discovery and research of them. Very few people are spending much on them these days, especially uncatalogued ones, so if I uncover something rare and can't get a decent price I'll happily hang onto it, I could never let a card like the Andy Hawkins go for $22.
    https://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

https://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2010 exquisite

This sold for $350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1487964380554.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	67835

DTA

justcallmepete
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have some of those Topps Mag Jumbos, Brett 1975 T RC for sure. Might have a Canseco.

rockledgesportscards
     Casebusters99
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1971 topps Bobby Murcer PSA 8
    Check out our Baseball singles at https://www.casebusters.com

<--------Check out our Group Breaks & Vintage Set breaks on ebay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12