Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Kirby Puckett Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
There are a few active Kirby Puckett collectors on the board now so its time we have our own thread. Post all things Puckett related. I will try to post random things from my collection and new pickups at least weekly to keep the thread going.

I'll start out by posting of a couple of cards I picked up on the boards here a few years ago. There is a 25 page thread on these somewhere and people still disagree about the authenticity of them. All I know is they look legit to me and I'm extremely glad I picked them up when I did because they haven't showed up since. 1990 Upper Deck Buybacks that were supposed to be packed out in 2010 Upper Deck Baseball before they lost they license.
2010 Upper Deck Buyback 48.jpg
2010 Upper Deck Buyback 236.jpg

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Love the idea of a Puckett thread! I'll contribute with pickups and random things too. Those UD cards are sweet. Real or not, I haven't seen them before and think they look awesome!

jpruitt2

Aug 11, 2008
Searcy, Arkansas
Not a collector of Puckett, but I was glad to be able to pick this up about 2 years ago for my collection.

Kirby Puckett # 23/34 stripe
signingbonus-kirby-puckett-number-stripe-23-34_zpsprint4w2.jpg

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Not a collector of Puckett, but I was glad to be able to pick this up about 2 years ago for my collection.

Kirby Puckett # 23/34 stripe
signingbonus-kirby-puckett-number-stripe-23-34_zpsprint4w2.jpg

That's awesome! How big are those pieces? I haven't been able to get one of those for my Puckett pc yet. I was able to find an unredeemed redemption card of sorts though...

3189a.jpg 3189b.jpg

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
My very first PC was almost Kirby Puckett. I was in the fourth grade and I had a pile of Bonds a pile of Gwynn and a pile of Puckett cards in front of me. They were three of my favorites. I ended up going with Bonds, but even all this time later I still remember that moment pretty clearly. Hope to see some great stuff in the thread.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
There are a few active Kirby Puckett collectors on the board now so its time we have our own thread. Post all things Puckett related. I will try to post random things from my collection and new pickups at least weekly to keep the thread going.

I'll start out by posting of a couple of cards I picked up on the boards here a few years ago. There is a 25 page thread on these somewhere and people still disagree about the authenticity of them. All I know is they look legit to me and I'm extremely glad I picked them up when I did because they haven't showed up since. 1990 Upper Deck Buybacks that were supposed to be packed out in 2010 Upper Deck Baseball before they lost they license.
View attachment 67842
View attachment 67843

as per the 1990 20th anniversary cards, just seems odd seeing that they started in 1989 and the story of the guy finding 2 sets at a yardsale.................. interesting never the less, but

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
My very first PC was almost Kirby Puckett. I was in the fourth grade and I had a pile of Bonds a pile of Gwynn and a pile of Puckett cards in front of me. They were three of my favorites. I ended up going with Bonds, but even all this time later I still remember that moment pretty clearly. Hope to see some great stuff in the thread.

My best friend in the 6th grade started collecting cards and wanted someone to collect with. He gave me a stack of cards that had Kirby's '85 Topps rookie in it to start with. At first, I started collecting and trading all cards in general. I noticed the Puckett cards growing in number and thought he had a cool sounding name. I started reading more about him and began focusing on just his cards and memorabilia soon after. A number of years ago, I shifted away from memorabilia items for the most part to primarily focus on just his cards and card like items. I'll still buy memorabilia from time to time if something catches my eye, but I'm always hunting for cards I don't have.

My friend didn't end up collecting cards for very long, but I have certainly enjoyed collecting Puckett cards for 30 years now or so... It's funny to think that my Puckett collection was initially stored in a winter jacket pocket. By the time I was in high school I had to upsize the way my cards were stored several times. I ended up building a large wooden storage box out of Cherry with individual Poplar boxes inside. I was able to house my collection in that box for several years before outgrowing it as well.

Here's some pics of that box I built in high school. I still use it for supplies for my ever growing collection and the bulk of my Puckett doubles.

Outside
Outside.JPG

Inside
Inside1.JPG

Inside2.JPG

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012

View attachment 67842
View attachment 67843

I love a controversial story behind cards. I have the canseco and it isn't an at home job. It is definitely one of my favorite ud cards in my collection!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
as per the 1990 20th anniversary cards, just seems odd seeing that they started in 1989 and the story of the guy finding 2 sets at a yardsale.................. interesting never the less, but
Unless they were celebrating the 20th anniversary of 1990 UD.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Unless they were celebrating the 20th anniversary of 1990 UD.

Ryan

and then the 20th of 1991?? it just seems odd to me, maybe I'm wrong, but......
they did in 2010 celebrate the 20th of the 1990 art cards

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
and then the 20th of 1991?? it just seems odd to me, maybe I'm wrong, but......
they did in 1990 celebrate the 20th of the art cards
I'm not saying your wrong, just stating that could have been their thinking.

Ryan

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Are you kidding me? 1990 marked the 20th anniversary of their 2nd set. That in and of itself makes it legit! :D

In all honesty, it is possible that an Upper Deck worker (either going rogue, an honest mistake or just testing out the process) did these, though they were never meant to see public. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me - They are just as desirable either way.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

Members online

No members online now.