Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

With All the Kimbo News, I think We're Forgetting About Tito

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
EliteXC’s next great attraction could be right around the corner and his name is Tito Ortiz.

The fight game’s most elusive free agent announced he’s “maybe a week away” from signing a deal with the promotion during a live telecast of EliteXC’s “Saturday Night Fights” on CBS.

Ortiz completed a multi-fight contract with the UFC last May after an 11-year run in the Octagon. Citing discontent with the promotion, and particularly its president Dana White, the former UFC light heavyweight champion has made overtures to start anew with a fresh organization.

“The names are starting to come over,” Ortiz said, after referencing former UFC heavyweight Andrei Arlovski's presence on the card. “I'm going to exercise my right, of course, to be a free agent. We're working really close with Elite. We're about, I'd say, about maybe a week away from signing the deal. I'm excited. I know all of the fans will be excited when I come. I'm just looking forward to getting back in the cage.”

Though he’s lost two of his last three bouts in the Octagon, Ortiz still commands considerable cache among fans. His December 2006 rematch with Chuck Liddell remains the highest grossing pay-per-view in the sport’s 15-year history with a reported 1,000,080 buys.

The acquisition of Ortiz would prove to be quite a coup for the burgeoning EliteXC promotion, which is in negotiations with Showtime, a subsidiary of CBS, to be purchased by the media giant.

If Ortiz, 33, signs on the dotted line, the polarizing light heavyweight might get the opportunity to avenge at least one career loss against Frank Shamrock (23-9-2), who submitted Ortiz (15-6-1) with strikes at UFC 22 in September 1999. The high-octane bout was considered one of the best of its time.

Shamrock, who commentates for CBS’s EliteXC broadcasts, is 2-2 since returning to action in the Strikeforce promotion in 2006.

“Last time me and Frank got it on, I was a young kid,” said Ortiz. “Twenty-two years old. I wasn't educated at the time in the sport as it is now. I have 11 years of experience now, so I think it would be a different story in the rematch.”

Ortiz (15-6-1) dropped a unanimous decision to Lyoto Machida (13-0) at UFC 84 “Ill Will” on May 24.

G

Even if Tito does sign on with XC, it'll be a while before he could be able to fight.

He's about to have back surgery I believe.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Not at all bud, I follow Tito probably more than any other fighter.

I am just trying to figure out who they would match him up against early on if they sign him. I know he is out until 09 but in that amount of time the roster could be end up being huge.

G

I just can't get into Tito. Guy just doesn't peak my interest at all.

Wow that sounds terribly...uh....you know.

I don't like the guy. I'll put it that way. Not interested in his fights unless it's him getting KTFO.

G

6QEDTNpIxq.jpg

R23JNyFihd.jpg

vpadMvYiMN.jpg

mlg5lx7aD_.jpg

bdAS6o5_Kl.jpg

56nYrlqlhW.jpg

Members online

Latest posts