User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: supercollector or supercollection?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very PC answer...fits well in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by onionring9 View Post
    my .02

-Define it how you want
    -Don't tell other people how they should define it
    -Be considerate of how others define it
    -Have fun and make sure you promote everyone else to have fun as well even if you disagree
    Since it really has become an arbitrary term used in this hobby and to my knowledge has not been copywrited or universally defined, I suppose everyone can create their own definition and terms for it. Like so many other things, we all have our own thoughts and opinions on how things should be and this is no different based on the answers I have seen, but I don't think anyone is being nasty about it. Just see EVERY Hall of Fame discussion EVER.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Collector

Quote Originally Posted by onionring9 View Post
    my .02

-Define it how you want
    -Have fun and make sure you promote everyone else to have fun as well even if you disagree
    My .02 regarding your .02:

-Define it how you want

There is no definition for the term so therefore it's arbitrary, subjective with really no meaning. Since in my opinion I think the term itself is self serving I don't like nor use the term for others or my collection.

Again there is no definition just individual opinions on what it should be.

How do you define considerate? Is this the PC version, agree to disagree and/or take a stand on your point of view (or possible some other definition)

Yes; sounds pretty good.

sierrajunior7
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice thread that really made me think about my own collecting habits. Here is how I would define someone as being a super collector vs. a super collection:

1. They have to specialize in some kind of specific facet of collecting - type, player, set, or the ever expansive topical (i.e. errors, pre-production, packs, Venezulan, or Canadian Flags etc.)
    2. They would have invested much time, energy, and possibly money into a focused collection that would likely take quite a while or be very difficult to put together.
    3. They would have developed an expansive level of knowledge and a deep connoisseur-like appreciation of their area of focus.

A super collection is, IMO, just that - a super collection. I think of it being less focused and, again IMO, it would be a collection that is amazing. Someone wouldn't necessarily have to be a super collector to have a 'super' collection...just lots of cash. A collection that is loaded with high end autos, GU, or high grade vintage, RC's, and altogether rare or crazy expensive stuff. Anyone with cash can put together a super collection (not that there is anything wrong with that) but IMO it takes greater focus, devotion, and knowledge about what it is your collecting to be considered a super collector.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
    I've personally never liked the term "super collector"; we're just people who collect various items that hopefully we can afford. Just because someone has more time to search or more money to buy does that make them "super" for some reason?
    To a degree. To truly amass anything of substance that would inspire awe or appreciation does require excess time and/or money. Maybe not like dropping a million bucks all at once(or ever). And in my mind, with as hard as some things are to find, time and money are equal here. Even the greatest collections can be built over time but require it nonetheless. These days, I'd hope they were(taking time, being frugal with money) or people are definitely going broke with prices now. But just because you take some $ and go buy some nice cards means nothing to most of us. There was no struggle. No work put in. But you take a guy who collects one player, even a scrub, and is able to amass most of his cards, that takes some work. And it's what most people who really know the hobby would look at and appreciate.

As far as terming one's self a supercollector, it's kind of frowned upon. But a great white shark knows it's a great white shark. A bear knows it's a bear. And so on. It would be stupid to tout yourself as anything special or better because there is always someone or something bigger/better out there. But you also understand your place in the equation. I've met a lot of people who are purely casual collectors. That's what they want to be. And you have some guys who sit down and decide they are going for it all. They are serious about carving out their niche whatever it may be. And most other serious collectors will appreciate and recognize this.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer the original question, I would think a supercollector could collect anything and be considered a supercollector. Sets, a single player, a single type of card, and single set(Think of a set like prizm where you are doing a master set with all parallels, etc.).

Your work ethic and effort is what would make a collection "super" IMO.

Honestly I think the term really is something newer, serious collectors, aspire to be. And guys who obtain the status, well, I don't think it means anything to them. Loses it's luster.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Collector

Quote Originally Posted by michaelstepper View Post
    hahaha good point

noting that I wasn't calling myself or anyone such a word. simply trying to define what has become a hobby staple.
    I truly believe you'd be hard pressed to find any seasoned (older individuals) that have been collecting for some time to believe or even think this term is or has become a hobby staple.

(Just a side note I think most, if not all, of the individuals posting here have some tremendous collections so I can and do admire the accomplishments). I just don't prefer the newly developed terminology for collectors.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been collecting for 35 years and think the relatively recent self-proclaimed label of Supercollector or Supercollection is silly.

It makes sense for a monthly magazine article that highlights a collector, or for a website or fellow collector to call you that, but otherwise, it kind of makes me cringe when someone calls himself that.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
    My .02 regarding your .02:
    -Define it how you want

> There is no definition for the term so therefore it's arbitrary, subjective with really no meaning. Since in my opinion I think the term itself is self serving I don't like nor use the term for others or my collection.

Yup!

>Again there is no definition just individual opinions on what it should be.

Yup!

>How do you define considerate? Is this the PC version, agree to disagree and/or take a stand on your point of view (or possible some other definition)

Adapt to whomever you are talking to because it really doesn't matter. Don't be a dick, have an open mind, and know that in the end, it's just one of these scenarios:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empathy-and-Perspectives-9-6-Cartoon.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	70551

>Yes; sounds pretty good.

Yup!
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123