Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's hot and what's not in the hobby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Thought I'd try something like this since I'm just not in a place where I can do a hotlist...i'll try and keep it moving but please add what you would like to add!

Let's start with a hot prospect who some may have written off at one point.

Dominic Smith cards are catching fire!

#2.jpg

This card was 71 dollars in may

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-BOWMAN...189143?hash=item361935c897:g:a7kAAOSw-K9ZErNw

Now you can get a raw copy for about the same price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Bowman...891799?hash=item4b1e2e3497:g:0p4AAOSwa2lZgTXp

His higher end stuff is doing even better!

Who do you have?

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Cincy Locally:

HOT: Retail Blaster of Topps Chrome & Pannini Donruss Optic. Been to several area Target & Meijer stores with no luck in finding any of either product. I dont know about walmart as I refuse to shop there but I'd bet they were out as well.

HOT: Joey Votto. He seems to be producing on a very bad team.

STILL WARM: Scooter Gennett. He seems to be playing very well off the bench on a very bad team. Decent pick up from being DFA'd by the Brewers.

STILL BLOOD IN THE BODY: Pete Rose. After his allegations and admittance of sex with a 16yr old last week (really 28 years ago), some have jumped off of the HOF bandwagon.

COLD: 2017 Allen & Ginter Retail Blasters - While looking for Topps Chrome & Donruss Optic, plenty of A&G on the shelf. I remember the same thing happening last year as A&G sat on the shelves with no buyers. Now they're all part of those $7.99 and $14.99 repack boxes.

Colder Than An Ex Wife: Local monthly card show. I know, we should consider ourselves lucky to have one each month. Usually 60 tables are filled but in July, about 25 or so were empty. Maybe because of the national or the usual summer slow period but I havent seen the show that empty since 2008.

Just my observance of the hobby (baseball) in Cincy.

Fordman

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I bought some Alex Wood cards in May that were so cheap they were almost giving them away. Sure wish I would have bought a bunch more.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Prospects seem to be driving most of everything these days so it's no surprise with Rafael Devers moving from Portland to Pawtucket to the big show in Boston in the course of less than a full month he has soared. I picked up a '15 Bowman Chrome base auto in the spring for $40, they are hard to find under $150 right now.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I bought some Alex Wood cards in May that were so cheap they were almost giving them away. Sure wish I would have bought a bunch more.

I'm so glad I held onto my autograph collection back in 2013 instead of giving them away for pennies. I made an absolute killing a month ago. I thought for sure he was my first failed prospecting venture. Became a great long term investment.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
What's not.... wax ripping.

Crazy wax prices such that the only wax I've bought this year is Topps Series 1 because it was reasonable when I purchased it.

I'm trying to figure out what is different about the state of the hobby to cause this - I know Judge and Bellinger are driving it, but I wonder if it has to do with group breaks as I know when Pujols/Suzuki was the hot rookie duo driving the hobby in 2001, the wax prices weren't as ridiculous as this year and I ripped more wax that year than I have this year.

Good news about the ridiculous wax pricing is that I"m able to buy h/c sets for about 2/3 the price of just one hobby box of that product so I get a full set for less than the price I would have paid for just one box out of the two to three I might have purchased to build the set for fun.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
What's not.... wax ripping.

Crazy wax prices such that the only wax I've bought this year is Topps Series 1 because it was reasonable when I purchased it.

I'm trying to figure out what is different about the state of the hobby to cause this - I know Judge and Bellinger are driving it, but I wonder if it has to do with group breaks as I know when Pujols/Suzuki was the hot rookie duo driving the hobby in 2001, the wax prices weren't as ridiculous as this year and I ripped more wax that year than I have this year.

Good news about the ridiculous wax pricing is that I"m able to buy h/c sets for about 2/3 the price of just one hobby box of that product so I get a full set for less than the price I would have paid for just one box out of the two to three I might have purchased to build the set for fun.

I've done the same thing with sets. With the birth of my son this year, I decided to pick up some 2017 stuff and boxes have just been ridiculous. So I've been picking up the Topps and Bowman sets as they come out. They are pretty reasonable right after release when the market is flooded and everyone is focusing on the big cards.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Thought I'd try something like this since I'm just not in a place where I can do a hotlist...i'll try and keep it moving but please add what you would like to add!

Let's start with a hot prospect who some may have written off at one point.

Dominic Smith cards are catching fire!

View attachment 71864

This card was 71 dollars in may

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-BOWMAN...189143?hash=item361935c897:g:a7kAAOSw-K9ZErNw

Now you can get a raw copy for about the same price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Bowman...891799?hash=item4b1e2e3497:g:0p4AAOSwa2lZgTXp

His higher end stuff is doing even better!

Who do you have?

Devers and Eloy have been hot. I think Clint Frazier's doing well too. I'd expect Alec Hansen's stuff to start reflecting his performance level this year.

I've got quite a few autos of Dom Smith, mostly chrome variety. Think I should list this one to /15?

SMITH.clarkin.DUAL.AU.15.13BS.NSr.jpg

I have a few parallels I could list:

SMITH.DIECUT.REF.99.15BC.NS.jpg SMITH.BLUE.REF.BCP.399.14BDP.NS.jpg smith.blue.bp.500.13bdp.osr.jpg

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Devers and Eloy have been hot. I think Clint Frazier's doing well too. I'd expect Alec Hansen's stuff to start reflecting his performance level this year.

I've got quite a few autos of Dom Smith, mostly chrome variety. Think I should list this one to /15?

View attachment 71865

I have a few parallels I could list:

View attachment 71866 View attachment 71867 View attachment 71868

I've got a very large collection of Doms and just started moving them...sold a an orange and blue gem so far.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I've got a very large collection of Doms and just started moving them...sold a an orange and blue gem so far.

Awesome. I rarely bought Mets in 2013 BDP breaks, but managed to hit some, somehow. I guess I tried them a few times. Seems he hit big when I didn't get them. :) I recall an orange auto of him popping out in a break I was in with Ryan Comstock. He busted a ton of this stuff and might have some available if you wanted more.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Awesome. I rarely bought Mets in 2013 BDP breaks, but managed to hit some, somehow. I guess I tried them a few times. Seems he hit big when I didn't get them. :) I recall an orange auto of him popping out in a break I was in with Ryan Comstock. He busted a ton of this stuff and might have some available if you wanted more.

We're way past the point where I'd buy, lol.

I was in to the orange gem for about 300 and more than tripled my money.

Tripled on the blue gem.

2 more golds, 3 more blues and 11 blacks...all gems.

That doesn't even take in to account the 100 or so gem and raw base and refs I have...

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
We're way past the point where I'd buy, lol.

I was in to the orange gem for about 300 and more than tripled my money.

Tripled on the blue gem.

2 more golds, 3 more blues and 11 blacks...all gems.

That doesn't even take in to account the 100 or so gem and raw base and refs I have...

That's a **** ton of Dom Smith. Gonna hold any or dump all now?

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Ronald Acuna sales have been so hot they could start a forest fire. He's become the crown jewel of the loaded 2017 Bowman class of prospect autos. Right out the gate his base autos were in the $50 range. Among his promotion to AA they began to exceed $100 and less than a month ago they hit $200. As of right now they are exceeding $200 (a raw base auto went for $240 a couple days ago). Judge & Bellinger are the only other "current" prospect/rookie autos selling for more.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I'll sell when I get the offers I'm looking for. There isn't a whole lot on the market right now and I don't want to be a pig...
Sounds like with a stash like that u could part with a Kyle Lewis, maybe a refractor or something

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I've been picking up Topps Update RCs I don't have, as they just seem to keep going up. I think Trout, Kershaw and Harper have gone up so much that others seem to be following suit. I've picked up a few in the last couple of weeks I wish I would have grabbed a couple months ago....

Members online

Latest posts