User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the worse thing to happen to this hobby?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    There are actually quiet a few non-autograph memorabilia cards that would bring in well over a hundred dollars at auction but generally it's the very low serial #d cards, patches of players from the 50's or earlier & specialty memorabilia items like batting gloves, logoman, hat logos, plate letters etc.

But yeah, the plain jersey swatches & bat pieces you pull from products like Topps Series 1/2/Update, Heritage & so forth are never going to sell for more than a few bucks (many won't sell at all) unless it's a Trout in which case you might be talking 10 bucks.

Memorabilia cards aren't my thing though...unless they are autographed. I pretty much only collect cards that are autographed (with some exceptions like rookie cards).
    Indeed, I'm the same way. I can see VERY, VERY, rare premium memorabilia cards going for over $100 but only because they're produced to be expensive and are only produced for those with fat money burning a hole in their pockets.

I'm talking about from modern boxes and packs that your average collector has a shot at off of the shelf. Those are just never going to be worth money. I do like some of the auto/jersey cards but I'd still prefer the straight auto.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to many different refractors, its crazy. miss bowman chrome when it was just a refractor,xfractor and gold.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    Itís a tie for #1 in my opinion.

DLP losing their license, and Brian Gray.
    Brian Gray was only a means to the problem. The problem was prospecters wanted earlier and earlier cards of players and BG filled that want in the hobby. Where else but Razor could you get a card of a 14 (actually 19) year old Dominican kid who wouldn't see the majors for 4-Never years.
    I collect Nolan Ryan, KC Royals, Dylan Strome and AZ Coyotes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioCollectibles View Post
    Brian Gray was only a means to the problem. The problem was prospecters wanted earlier and earlier cards of players and BG filled that want in the hobby. Where else but Razor could you get a card of a 14 (actually 19) year old Dominican kid who wouldn't see the majors for 4-Never years.
    That's definatly what happened to the rookie card. Now people pay more for a prospect, non rookie card than they do actually rookies. For example, they started mass producing Judge cards in 2013! 4 years prior to his rookie season. Now, for whatever reason, the prospect cards outsell the rookie cards.

We're at the point now that if you asked the average collector what's the best rookie card of any given post 1997 player, he wouldn't have an answer. If you asked a seller the same question, he'd name the prospect card.

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeff N. Is that you?

Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be one of the few members of this board that started collecting when there was only one manufacturer and remember how cool it was to get new cards as the summer progressed as cards were issued in series and not all at once. Fleer and Donruss came around in 1981 and we were all blown away by the innovation especially with the Fleer offering. Most of us who collected were fine with one maker and when the other two came to the table there were murmurs that overproduction was going to kill the hobby. By the mid 80's there were so many other brands and makers of cards that collectors were turned off to this hobby as their "investment" went into the toilet. Collectors were weeded out with many leaving the hobby or others turning to vintage cards which in turn jacked up the values of all vintage offerings which sent the prices out of reach of many collectors. So on one side we have worthless modern cards and mostly high priced vintage with little in between worth collecting.

In my opinion overproduction caused so many issues for this hobby that this is the worse thing that ever happened to it.......now lets talk about what card grading has done to our hobby..........or is that another thread altogether.

Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    double post sorry

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscford View Post
    Indeed, I'm the same way. I can see VERY, VERY, rare premium memorabilia cards going for over $100 but only because they're produced to be expensive and are only produced for those with fat money burning a hole in their pockets.

I'm talking about from modern boxes and packs that your average collector has a shot at off of the shelf. Those are just never going to be worth money. I do like some of the auto/jersey cards but I'd still prefer the straight auto.
    Yeah, that's pretty much all junk. The $100+ memorabilia cards are almost always inserted in the high end stuff ($350+ per box/pack) or like 1:10,000+ packs of low-to-mid end products.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to add on to that comment, when the lower end products like Topps S1/S2/Heritage are now charging $80+ per box with only one hit per box, the guaranteed hit should be an autograph. Honestly, nobody gets excited when they hit a plain color swatch from a box anymore unless it's some retired HOF player from way back in the days (you might only get one of these in every 50+ boxes or the high end products).
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much stuff, the advent of traded sets, and general overproduction since the mid 80s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    And to add on to that comment, when the lower end products like Topps S1/S2/Heritage are now charging $80+ per box with only one hit per box, the guaranteed hit should be an autograph. Honestly, nobody gets excited when they hit a plain color swatch from a box anymore unless it's some retired HOF player from way back in the days (you might only get one of these in every 50+ boxes or the high end products).
    Also, with the prices for boxes being what they are, kids today don't have a chance to collect top notch cards. The average kid isn't going to buy an $80+ hobby or jumbo box. He's spending his few dollars on some packs off of the rack.

A hobby built for and by children has been stolen away from them. What's worse are sellers who call themselves collectors, when all they really do is corner the market.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I slowly lost interest about the time Topps pushed UD out of the market.... which is interesting considering I wasn't a big box buster, trader, or flipper. I just bought old Crusades. There's something that happens to a community when the pipeline dies so to speak. Less buzz, less excitement, more realizing how shtty 90+% of Topps releases are.
    [MENTION=2442]mchenrycards[/MENTION] is right though, grading was quite bad for the hobby. When I was more naive I was pumped to get ALL my Crusades graded... wooooo!!! ... until I starting looking objectively and realized they don't give 2 shts or 3 fcks about centering on a non vintage, non rookie, non 1/1 card. So many of these cards were graded just plain wrong. Secondly, it makes the holder the star and the card an afterthought sometimes, turning collector into flaw inspector. Not sure at all why very old vintage would want grading at all, I know in the coin collecting world a coin with nice aging discoloration might be worth more. Seeing a T206 without some corner ware just looks strange.

Where the community will grow is the growth in the game of baseball itself, large market teams are doing good the past few years and also there is international growth.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the worse thing to happen to this hobby?

To add more honest thoughts to the thread, yes over production was bad. Too many choices indeed made it difficult to "collect". I actually liked the one big series releases of my youth more than multiple Series and Updates (other than a small boxed set). As a kid you had all summer to buy packs and build those sets. It can still be done though and set building is an underrated joy. A blaster a week should easily build a complete base set over a year. How is set building so underrated as a form of collecting entertainment? It's the "hit" mentality IMO. "Collecting cards" meant to be collected in sets until completion became impossible to complete.
    I didn't leave the hobby as a kid because of overproduction. I liked collecting as many cards as I could. I left because of the "big hits". And it started and exploded FAST. The early Upper Deck autos, the Donruss Elite cards, the Fleer Rookie Sensations.......cards of players I collected were unobtainable to an 11 year old and I recall being so angry at card manufacturers over it. What was the point of collecting if I could never get them all? I can't imagine I was alone in leaving for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever happened to BG anyways? Wasn't he getting sued over something a few years ago?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast