Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 AL Cy Young: Chris Sale or Corey Kluber?

Who wins the AL Cy Young?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I love what Sale is doing and am a Red Sox fan, but I think the voters are going to give it to Kluber. Truth be told, there is no wrong answer between these two. Amazing seasons for both.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Let's break it down to stuff alone. Who has the better FB and slider? I vote Sale.

Also consider:

Team records for each guy's starts this year:

Sale: 22-9
Kluber: 19-8

Average run support:

Sale: 5.37 RPG
Kluber: 5.39 RPG

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Kluber back on the mound today. I'm not sure if this will be his final start of the season or if he's got another one after that.

I'll continue to update the 2 starters stats as they take the mound if for no other reason than being obsessed with stats and having nothing better to do.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Another scoreless performance by Kluber (despite two unearned runs via HR) brings him down to a 2.27 ERA for the season.

7 IP, 0 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 10 K

He now leads the league with 18 wins (not that win/loss record really mean much)

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I can't pick one over the other, it is so close and they are both deserving.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Damn. Donaldson has been on fire this month and ran right over Chris Sale. Tonight's line didn't help his chances and may have sealed his fate. He is now only 5 K away from the all-time single season record for strikeouts in a single season for the Red Sox, however. I hope he gets a final shot at it, but with the playoffs coming quickly, I don't know.

5 IP 8 H 5 R 5 ER 2 BB 8 K 4 HR

Will Kluber pitch again before the playoffs?

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Damn. Donaldson has been on fire this month and ran right over Chris Sale. Tonight's line didn't help his chances and may have sealed his fate. He is now only 5 K away from the all-time single season record for strikeouts in a single season for the Red Sox, however. I hope he gets a final shot at it, but with the playoffs coming quickly, I don't know.

5 IP 8 H 5 R 5 ER 2 BB 8 K 4 HR

Will Kluber pitch again before the playoffs?

Yes, it appears he is slated to pitch on the 30th.

I completely forgot Sale was pitching tonight. After updating Sale's 2017 stats I believe Kluber will win it...assuming he doesn't implode similarly to how Sale did tonight.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And Sale's annual year-end mediocrity continues. A 4.38 era in August and now a 3.72 era in September.

Career:

Pre-August: 64-28, 2.68 era
August-Oct: 23-27, 3.63 era

Sale's a Hall of Famer if the season was only 4 months long.

He still had a great overall season, but Kluber has his second Cy Young wrapped up, even if Kluber pitches poorly in his final start.

I wonder if Sale will pitch the final game of the season like he's scheduled, or if they'll save his arm for Game 1 of the playoffs. It would make more sense to rest his arm, unless the division title is at stake. Boston is up 3 games with 5 to go.

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
And Sale's annual year-end mediocrity continues. A 4.38 era in August and now a 3.72 era in September.

Career:

Pre-August: 64-28, 2.68 era
August-Oct: 23-27, 3.63 era

Sale's a Hall of Famer if the season was only 4 months long.

He still had a great overall season, but Kluber has his second Cy Young wrapped up, even if Kluber pitches poorly in his final start.

I wonder if Sale will pitch the final game of the season like he's scheduled, or if they'll save his arm for Game 1 of the playoffs. It would make more sense to rest his arm, unless the division title is at stake. Boston is up 3 games with 5 to go.

Now that the two starters FIP are similar while Kluber has a significantly higher ERA & WHIP I believe Kluber has this locked down, despite Sale's 300+ strikeouts.

Assuming Kluber makes his scheduled Sept 30th start and he implodes in similar fashion to Sale, I agree that he'd still likely win it.

He'd have to put up a career worst start, giving up 8 runs off 4 home runs while failing to complete 2 innings in order for it to be close again.

Regardless, Chris Sale has put up a very impressive season that could have won him a Cy Young in a season with weaker pitching competition.

Members online