User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who wins the AL Cy Young?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Sale

8 34.78%
  • Corey Kluber

15 65.22%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2017 AL Cy Young: Chris Sale or Corey Kluber?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sale vs Kluber in ALCS would be divine.
    WTTF/WTB: Looking for Red Sox cards I don't have of players from modern Bowman products. Always open to trade!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't pick one over the other, it is so close and they are both deserving.
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    I can't pick one over the other, it is so close and they are both deserving.
    One of the closest AL Cy Young races in recent memory.

The 2015 NL Cy Young was similarly close with no clear front runner (Greinke, Arrieta, Kershaw).
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn. Donaldson has been on fire this month and ran right over Chris Sale. Tonight's line didn't help his chances and may have sealed his fate. He is now only 5 K away from the all-time single season record for strikeouts in a single season for the Red Sox, however. I hope he gets a final shot at it, but with the playoffs coming quickly, I don't know.

5 IP 8 H 5 R 5 ER 2 BB 8 K 4 HR

Will Kluber pitch again before the playoffs?
    WTTF/WTB: Looking for Red Sox cards I don't have of players from modern Bowman products. Always open to trade!

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmp1971 View Post
    Damn. Donaldson has been on fire this month and ran right over Chris Sale. Tonight's line didn't help his chances and may have sealed his fate. He is now only 5 K away from the all-time single season record for strikeouts in a single season for the Red Sox, however. I hope he gets a final shot at it, but with the playoffs coming quickly, I don't know.

5 IP 8 H 5 R 5 ER 2 BB 8 K 4 HR

Will Kluber pitch again before the playoffs?
    Yes, it appears he is slated to pitch on the 30th.

I completely forgot Sale was pitching tonight. After updating Sale's 2017 stats I believe Kluber will win it...assuming he doesn't implode similarly to how Sale did tonight.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Sale's annual year-end mediocrity continues. A 4.38 era in August and now a 3.72 era in September.

Career:

Pre-August: 64-28, 2.68 era
    August-Oct: 23-27, 3.63 era

Sale's a Hall of Famer if the season was only 4 months long.

He still had a great overall season, but Kluber has his second Cy Young wrapped up, even if Kluber pitches poorly in his final start.

I wonder if Sale will pitch the final game of the season like he's scheduled, or if they'll save his arm for Game 1 of the playoffs. It would make more sense to rest his arm, unless the division title is at stake. Boston is up 3 games with 5 to go.
    Last edited by Austin; 09-27-2017 at 01:53 AM.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    And Sale's annual year-end mediocrity continues. A 4.38 era in August and now a 3.72 era in September.

Career:

Pre-August: 64-28, 2.68 era
    August-Oct: 23-27, 3.63 era

Sale's a Hall of Famer if the season was only 4 months long.

He still had a great overall season, but Kluber has his second Cy Young wrapped up, even if Kluber pitches poorly in his final start.

I wonder if Sale will pitch the final game of the season like he's scheduled, or if they'll save his arm for Game 1 of the playoffs. It would make more sense to rest his arm, unless the division title is at stake. Boston is up 3 games with 5 to go.
    Now that the two starters FIP are similar while Kluber has a significantly higher ERA & WHIP I believe Kluber has this locked down, despite Sale's 300+ strikeouts.

Assuming Kluber makes his scheduled Sept 30th start and he implodes in similar fashion to Sale, I agree that he'd still likely win it.

He'd have to put up a career worst start, giving up 8 runs off 4 home runs while failing to complete 2 innings in order for it to be close again.

Regardless, Chris Sale has put up a very impressive season that could have won him a Cy Young in a season with weaker pitching competition.

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, all stats are final and updated in the OP.

With that being said, I do believe Kluber's chances are really good for winning it this year.

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your winner is......Corey Kluber!

1st Kluber
    2nd Sale
    3rd Severino
    4th Carrasco
    5th Verlander

My prediction for the top 5 was close to spot on, only I had Verlander finishing 4th and Carrasco 5th.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234