User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Therion's All Time Astros Autograph Collection (25 To Go!)

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reggie Harris has failed to return my custom of him three times. I wonder if he has some kind of anger with the Astros. I don't remember him leaving on horrible terms.

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that you are getting near on your collection! I know my Yankees collection will NEVER be completed, but I'm shooting for over 1000 different players.
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dano7 View Post
    Love that you are getting near on your collection! I know my Yankees collection will NEVER be completed, but I'm shooting for over 1000 different players.
    Isn’t that the fun of this tho...even if you complete it, there will be new guys next year, and the year after that, and the year after that...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    Isn’t that the fun of this tho...even if you complete it, there will be new guys next year, and the year after that, and the year after that...

It IS the fun of it......and with the Yankees, I'm going to have to rely a lot on the new guys, because the old ones keep getting more and more expensive!!!
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is part of the fun! Throughout the regular season my needs list constantly grows and shrinks.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One addition in today!

Yulieski Gurriel, the most controversial character in the World Series

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A huge addition today!

Aurelio Monteagudo

Monteagudo signed very little and passed away in 1990.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, same story with Dodgers. I do like adding new players, but it can also be frustrating. Getting Dodger autos on Dodger cards means fighting for prospector cards or waiting and waiting means potentially missing out on players that blossom into stars and become expensive. I have been trying to add cheap new aquisions on certified cards as soon as they join the team and then hope I can upgrade to a Dodger card later.

On the flip side, getting older Dodgers is now an effort in either futility or deep expense. Many left on my "waitlist" are very early turn of the century Brooklyn players, no-namers who died pre 50s or BIGGIES like Ruth (Coach), Daubert, W. Robinson, Maranville, Hack Wilson, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dano7 View Post
    It IS the fun of it......and with the Yankees, I'm going to have to rely a lot on the new guys, because the old ones keep getting more and more expensive!!!

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be glad that neither of you have to look at a list and realize Jay Dahl is on it. I’ve only seen two ever and one was a forgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    A huge addition today!

Aurelio Monteagudo

Monteagudo signed very little and passed away in 1990.
    I had never heard of Aurelio Montragudo, so I looked him up and learned this interesting fact on Wikipedia:

“He, Aurelio Rodríguez and Aurelio López are the only three players in MLB history named Aurelio, and all three were killed in car accidents between the ages of 44 and 53.”

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deaconblues63 View Post
    I had never heard of Aurelio Montragudo, so I looked him up and learned this interesting fact on Wikipedia:

“He, Aurelio Rodríguez and Aurelio López are the only three players in MLB history named Aurelio, and all three were killed in car accidents between the ages of 44 and 53.”

And two of them were pitchers for the Astros!

Both of their autographs are TOUGH.

Monteagudo was, I believe, the first screwball pitcher the Astros ever signed.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, most clubs probably have their own "Jay Dahl". One of the most notorious Dodger toughies is Clancy Smyres. I'll let the article do the talking...

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...han-babe-ruth/

There may be others from turn of the century teams that are just downright tough as well, but I never hope to even sniff anywhere close to 100%. However, given a team as new as the Astros, getting to 100% completion would be a much more realistic goal aside from the Jay Dahls of the world.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    Well, most clubs probably have their own "Jay Dahl". One of the most notorious Dodger toughies is Clancy Smyres. I'll let the article do the talking...

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...han-babe-ruth/

There may be others from turn of the century teams that are just downright tough as well, but I never hope to even sniff anywhere close to 100%. However, given a team as new as the Astros, getting to 100% completion would be a much more realistic goal aside from the Jay Dahls of the world.
    Jay Dahl is the rarest modern era autograph, though I know the competition is stiff. He was 17 years old when he made his one and only appearance for Houston on the All-Rookie team that also featured future HOFer Joe Morgan. Dahl had a terrible game but he was an incredible pitcher that just wasn't ready for the Majors. He was sent back down to the Minors and dominated. Less than a year later, he went out celebrating a win with a team secretary and the team's catcher. They were involved in a car accident and both Dahl and Troutman (the secretary) were killed. The driver was permanently blinded.

Having died at 18 years old and not being a highly touted prospect, Jay Dahl is considered the toughest modern era autograph by pretty much everyone.

That said, a team like the Dodgers or Yankees that extend into the pre-war era will have tougher autographs on their checklists.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knocked the last Z name off the list! Autograph number 840 is Oscar Zamora!!

dsj51
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those pesky Z names lol. Good job!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast