Thread: My 2018 Organizational Prospect Lists

cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    Nice list. I have a minor disagreement here and there but it is solid. That's the lowest I've ever seen Delvin Perez ranked and the highest I've ever seen Jordan Hicks.
    Perez had a horrific season, and his reported makeup issues prior to being drafted took a turn for the worse, from what I've read. Hicks on the other hand, broke out with regular triple digits and secondaries not far behind, developmentally. Ace in the making, IMO. (If I could just convince Topps to give him an auto.)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
    Perez had a horrific season, and his reported makeup issues prior to being drafted took a turn for the worse, from what I've read. Hicks on the other hand, broke out with regular triple digits and secondaries not far behind, developmentally. Ace in the making, IMO. (If I could just convince Topps to give him an auto.)
    I saw Perez play this past summer with Johnson City against Danville. Perez looked solid defensively, but offensively, he looked lost. As J.P. alluded to, Perez was suspended for mouthing off to coaches and not hustling. The kid has a lot to learn for sure.
    R.I.P. Harmon Clayton Killebrew June 29, 1936-May 17, 2011 You will surely be missed!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perez's season was 140 plate appearances with a 12% walk rate and a 17+% k rate before he hurt his leg. The plus strike zone judgement and hit tool he is supposed to have show up in those numbers. It is very unlikely a hitter with 70 speed and a 55 hit tool continues to run a sub-.230 BABIP for long. I follow the Cardinals closely and haven't heard anything about any additional make up concerns. I'd love to see links for what you've read so I could see them first hand.

Hicks has the potential to jump the list quickly but until he actually shows it on the field I can't see ranking him over a lot of the other pitchers in the Cardinals system who have comparable tools and longer track records. Alcantara has a better track record and the triple digits with more developed secondaries. Helsley has triple digits and already has a plus curve, plus cutter, and the change flashes plus at times plus he can command all of them. Heck Fernandez has the triple digits and a plus plus change with a better track record.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone17 View Post
    I saw Perez play this past summer with Johnson City against Danville. Perez looked solid defensively, but offensively, he looked lost. As J.P. alluded to, Perez was suspended for mouthing off to coaches and not hustling. The kid has a lot to learn for sure.
    Other than a benching after he got mad when striking out I can't find anything else about an actual suspension. The only people I can see making any kind of big deal about it are the writers at redbirddaily who have trashed several prospects they consider head cases like Carlos Martinez, Alex Reyes, and Lance Lynn. It isn't a concern for me that an 18 year old expressed his frustration angrily after a strikeout.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Other than a benching after he got mad when striking out I can't find anything else about an actual suspension. The only people I can see making any kind of big deal about it are the writers at redbirddaily who have trashed several prospects they consider head cases like Carlos Martinez, Alex Reyes, and Lance Lynn. It isn't a concern for me that an 18 year old expressed his frustration angrily after a strikeout.
    Following the tantrum he was demoted to the GCL, so clearly it was more than just a youthful indiscretion.
    J.P.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following the tantrum he was demoted to the GCL, so clearly it was more than just a youthful indiscretion.
    Yes sir. I talked to a J City local who said that he walked around like a 10 year All-Star. I got that info from a local about his lack of hustle and big yap. I'm a fan of Perez because the tools are real, but he has to trust the process.
    R.I.P. Harmon Clayton Killebrew June 29, 1936-May 17, 2011 You will surely be missed!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He moved form A ball to A ball to work with the Cardinals best hitting coach as well as to spend some time with Jose Oquendo. I guess you could call it a demotion but it isn't exactly being moved from Memphis to Johnson City.

cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He moved form A ball to Complex League Rookie Ball to work with the Cardinals best hitting coach as well as to spend some time with Jose Oquendo. I guess you could call it a demotion but it isn't exactly being moved from Memphis to Johnson City.
    Fixed. I do. And it was.
    J.P.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad, rookie ball to rookie ball. Not sure why I was thinking A ball.

Call it what you wish. I don't think you're going to find any executive in any organization in MLB that's going to pull 12 names out of the Cardinals prospect pool before they get to Delvin Perez. Dave Stewart might have but he was fired for a reason.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J.P. (wanted to let you know of a little typo as an Os fan, should be ADAM Hall)... listed on your list as:

ORIOLES
    7)Matt Hall, SS

cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spcollector View Post
    J.P. (wanted to let you know of a little typo as an Os fan, should be ADAM Hall)... listed on your list as:

ORIOLES
    7)Matt Hall, SS
    Fixed, thx.
    J.P.

aarne13
     Aarne13
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job JP!
    I can't quibble too much with the Jays list.
    After the top 4-5 there is a bit of a dropoff talent-wise.
    Tom Pannone and Pardinho should be in top 10-15. Pentecost and Tellez should be higher (they dropped for various reasons). Rowdy is still very young for AAA, Pentecost should move up quick if he can stay healthy.
    TJ Zeuch should catch up to the other prospects next year. Ryan Gold>Hagen Danner. Is Reese McGuire still in the picture?

TOR Blue Jays
    1)Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 3B eta 2019
    2)Bo Bichette, SS Dunedin->NH next yr
    3)Nate Pearson, RHP Should start in Dunedin
    4)Anthony Alford, OF AAA- possible LF in TO if he does well in Spring Training
    5)Logan Warmoth, SS Should start in Lansing
    6)Ryan Borucki, LHP MLB-AAA next yr
    7)Conner Greene, RHP Destined for pen?
    8)Sean Reid-Foley, RHP Still very young- in AAA next yr
    9)Riley Adams, C Starts again in SS
    10)Edward Olivares, OF Dunedin->NH Keep an eye on him.
    11)Danny Jansen, C Lots of helium-should be up next year
    12)Justin Maese, RHP Hi-A start-->NH
    13)Lourdes Gurriel, SS AAA- possible start in TO
    14)T.J. Zeuch, RHP Dunedin->NH should move up quick
    15)Richard Urena, SS Needs more seasoning->AAA
    16)Kevin Vicuna, SS Lots of potential
    17)Ryan Noda, 1B/OF Starts in SS-possibly lo-A
    18)Max Pentecost, C/1B Needs to stay healthy -behind McGuire in depth chart
    19)Hagen Danner, C Very raw-prob start in Bluefield
    20)Rowdy Tellez, 1B Starts in AAA - might see some time in TO if he has a good start
    Blue Jays Collection

Collecting- Marcus Knecht, John Olerud, certified Jays autos
    Also looking for 2007 Bowman Chrome Shane Benson Gold Refractors Currently have 25/50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12