Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

GIANCARLO STANTON TRADED TO YANKEES FOR CASTRO/GUZMAN/DEVERS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
So which starter would you have traded to make room for Scherzer in 2015? And did you predict Wainwright tearing his ACL in a fluke incident batting?

When you have an opportunity to go out and get a lights out ace and a #1 pitcher in the game, who clearly wants to play for you, go pay the man and get him.

At the end of the day it’s a business and the Cardinals far too often expect players to take a home town discount, which I’ve always thought was BS on their part.

And what starting pitchers would I have got rid of to make room for Scherzer in 2015?

Any.....single......one.........of........these......guys, because he was better than every single one of them at the time, and has been better than every single one of them since.

6ab5a78db9ec3c3cbf2b2e50daef7882.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
He clearly didn't or he would have. It's all well and good to play at home but you don't turn down $30 million to do so. The Nationals threw a top starting pitcher in baseball number at a guy who was a top 10-15 pitcher at the time and he improved (post age 30 which is historically unusual) after signing. The Nats got lucky. The list of pitchers post age 30 who have improved as much as Scherzer has is populated by Randy Johnson, Scherzer, and absolutely no one else in the 130+ year history of the sport.

This idea that they're cheap is odd to me. In the last three offseasons they've made record (for the Cardinals) competitive offers to Jason Heyward (thank God he didn't sign), David Price (Thank God Dave Dombrowski did dumb Dave Dombrowski things), signed Mike Leake (the second best pitcher on the market, albeit a weak market), and Dexter Fowler (the top available free agent in his class). Now they are aggressively chasing the man with the biggest contract in baseball. None of those moves seems cheap to me.

By the way, the Player A you ignored earlier because it destroys your arguments about signing a FA ace is Yu Darvish. Player B is Carlos Martinez.

I have to agree with you. Ownership bid high on Price, Heyward, Pujols, Stanton, not to mention shelling out decent money with players currently on the roster. That doesn’t sound “cheap” to me. Pujols can’t even play in the field anymore. Heyward and Price have been big disappointments. If ownership spent big on any of those guys other than Pujols the same people would be complaining about how much they were overpaid and aren’t performing. You can’t have it both ways. This is why I quit posting on STL Today. The same irrational lunatics who are never happy no matter what will ***** about something that isn’t even remotely true. You can voice your opinion, but at least be knowledgeable about what you are talking about. Molina just got a new deal that will pay him $20M AAV this year. Ownership had to add an extra year and no trade protection to convince Fowler to sign. Cecil will earn big money this year. I believe Martinez got the biggest deal ever last year for an arbitration eligible pitcher. The idiotic notion that ownership “is too cheap” just doesn’t hold any water.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I believe the Cardinals new found affinity for handing out big contracts is because they’re a little bit desperate because the Cubs are so good and now they’re having to play catch up after years of not wanting to pay anyone.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
When you have an opportunity to go out and get a lights out ace and a #1 pitcher in the game, who clearly wants to play for you, go pay the man and get him.

At the end of the day it’s a business and the Cardinals far too often expect players to take a home town discount, which I’ve always thought was BS on their part.

And what starting pitchers would I have got rid of to make room for Scherzer in 2015?

Any.....single......one.........of........these......guys, because he was better than every single one of them at the time, and has been better than every single one of them since.

I don’t know why you think the team expects all these players to take home town discounts, but that is another matter. Wainwright was coming off a dominant 2014. No one could have expected him to suffer a fluke injury batting. He was expected to anchor the rotation. Wacha was a 17 game winner and All Star that year. Martinez was an All Star as well. Lackey was pitching on a bargain basement contract he signed with Red Sox. No GM is stupid enough to trade young/promising/controllable starters in Wacha and Martinez. No way Lackey was going to be traded when he was making next to nothing. Garcia had little trade value, so he wasn’t going anywhere either. Hindsight is always 20-20, but at that time there wasn’t an immediate need for Scherzur. And Heyward and Price were FA’s after the season, so ownership likely passed on Scherzur knowing they’d offer big on both of them after the season.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma

Scherzer wasn't a top of the line dominant starter like he is now though. He was a #2-#3 starter who was already 30 and had a history of uneven performance though the last two years were good. The Nationals paid him like a young #1 starter and got lucky because he did what only a couple others have done in 130 years of baseball and substantially improved after age 30. The Cardinals had Wainwright who was still a dominant #1 Cy Young contender, Wacha coming, Martinez coming, Lackey signed cheap, Lynn who was constantly undervalued, and pitching everywhere else. Pitching wasn't the main need then. The Cardinals had one of the top 3 staffs in baseball and everyone but Lackey was very likely to continue being that good for 3-4 years more. They had Alex Reyes, Marco Gonzales, Tim Cooney, and Rob Kaminsky in the minors making noise. Pitching wasn't an issue and still isn't actually.

I believe the Cardinals new found affinity for handing out big contracts is because they’re a little bit desperate because the Cubs are so good and now they’re having to play catch up after years of not wanting to pay anyone.

It isn't new found. They gave Pujols the largest pre-arb contract in history in 2004. They gave Holliday a market rate contract (probably a bit over market actually) in 2010. They paid market rate or just over for Mike Leake. Just because they aren't the Yankees, Dodgers, or Red Sox doesn't mean they are cheap.

Last edited:

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
he thought of Judge and Stanton battling in the same division for many years to come is awesome, esp cuz they'll be playing each other about 16x or so a year during the reg season, right? Come on Giancarlo, we know you want to see how far over the Green Monster and Landsdowne Street you can actually hit the ball. I bet he's already dreaming of hitting one onto the Pike.

hmmmmm.....a copy and paste of the final paragraph of the 19th post in a 15-month-old thread....this on the heels of a new account debuting with the resurrection 2 other 5-10 year-old threads with posts about carpet cleaning.....just find it a bit odd....

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
hmmmmm.....a copy and paste of the final paragraph of the 19th post in a 15-month-old thread....this on the heels of a new account debuting with the resurrection 2 other 5-10 year-old threads with posts about carpet cleaning.....just find it a bit odd....

I believe this to be a copywrite infringement on bmp1971.. But having said that I'm glad he resurrected the carpet cleaning post. I just told my wife the other day "Honey, I think we should go with the Bissel" She was insisting on the Hoover until I showed her that thread...

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA

10K Mo one of a kind too!! These new guys taking over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest posts