Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Really interesting historical pick-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As you may know, a significant focus of my collection is the Integration and Jackie Robinson. To me, Jackie's story transcends sports, and was one of the proudest sports moments in history. A time when sports showed that it could use it fame and publicity to take a massive step forward for society.

There were many people instrumental in Jackie Robinson becoming the first black player. One person who supported Jackie throughout the process was A.B. "Happy" Chandler. Chandler became the commissioner of baseball after the death of Kennesaw "Mountain" Landis in 1944. And while it does not seem that Landis was against black players (as is sometimes portrayed), the "great experiment" did not happen under his watch. It was under former senator Chandler who took over in 1945 and was the commissioner during the transformative period that included the end of WWII and the years following.

As the pictures show, I was able to pick up an original signed copy of the contract that Landis and the owners signed making him commissioner. The contract is signed by Chandler along with a representative from each team. Those include all-time great Eddie Collins, Branch Rickey (who would sign Jackie), Connie Mack, Clark Griffiths etc.

Attachments

• 1945 Happy Chandler Commissioner Contract 2.jpg
    1945 Happy Chandler Commissioner Contract 2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 1945 Happy Chandler Commissioner Contract 4.jpg
    1945 Happy Chandler Commissioner Contract 4.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 44
  • 1945 Happy Chandler Commissioner Contract 5.jpg
    1945 Happy Chandler Commissioner Contract 5.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 1945 Happy Chandler Commissioner Contract 6.jpg
    1945 Happy Chandler Commissioner Contract 6.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 1945 Happy Chandler Commissioner Contract 7.jpg
    1945 Happy Chandler Commissioner Contract 7.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 34

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nice line up of executive signatures. Chandler lived to a ripe old age and his signatures are not hard, but many of those other sigs are a lot tougher.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Wow! Anytime you post a new pick up I'm amazed. Really glad you share these historical pieces here

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks everyone! I really view it from what I feel the historical significance is and less for the autographs (initially I was almost upset about the autographs, since I figured it would have been much cheaper without it, but I do think having them all together like this is really cool.)

For me, it is one more piece in a visual/collectible puzzle of the Jackie Robinson story, even if most people wouldn't necessarily view it that way.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Fantastic piece..

The stuff you post just amazes me where you dig this stuff up..

Haha thanks. I've gotten used to searching both the major auction houses and some more obscure ones as well as trying to get to know people in different places who have really cool items.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Contract had the commissioner making $50,000 per annum.

$50,000 in 1945 adjusted for inflation is $689,002.79 in 2017 dollars. Not a bad income...