User Tag List

Thread: Anyone Buying any Upper Deck MMA?

premiumprospects
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Buying any Upper Deck MMA?

Was wondering what people thought of it?

I have seen the pre-sell sheet a while back, and from what I remember, it looked pretty decent.

Anyone gonna check it out?

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Re: Anyone Buying any Upper Deck MMA?

I will certainly be looking to add some UD MMA to my collection. And the fact that MMA is taking off the way it is it might now be a bad idea to get a couple of sets for the future?

megaosfan08
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checklist looked VERY SOLID!!
    I'm really excited! I pre-ordered 2 boxes and will have them on release, but won't be opening them until January...oh the agony!!
    "You may never know the key to success; but the sure key to failure is trying to please everyone."

premiumprospects
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the Checklist I found

http://www.magazine-exchange.com/inf...rsion%201).pdf

and here is a link to a picture of the design....looks very good and very appealing to the eyes! one of the better designs (IMO) i have seen in a while

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...-mornin-1.html

I might have to buy a few more boxes than just 1.

I believe it comes out tomorrow, the 8th?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll be the first to say i won't be buying any of them. while the checklist has many of the past greats, it is lacking many of the newer stars of the MMA world. i'm not sure how guys like koppenhaver, hazelett, stout, etc have cards whereas guys that are better and have been around longer don't. Rampage, Brock, Mir, Bisping, Griffin, Serra, Leben, Faber, Florian, and Guida were some of the more notables. An Evan Tanner tribute card would have been nice as well. probably was too close to print date when he died but you'd think he would have been in the base set anyway since he's a former champ and guys like severn, gracie, coleman, and Frye are in it. what?!?!?! no kimbo card? lmao!

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I want are autos from Wanderlei and Nogeira.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Hope

In the few MMA conversations we have had on these boards and the former, I knew that would be the case. Wandy seems to be very high on your list of favorites with Barnett and Fedor, and CroCop. I remember you being a huge pride fan.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MojoDan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty Hope

In the few MMA conversations we have had on these boards and the former, I knew that would be the case. Wandy seems to be very high on your list of favorites with Barnett and Fedor, and CroCop. I remember you being a huge pride fan.
    Yeah, having lived in Japan for 15 years, I was a HUGE Pride fan. It was a shame that they self-destructed due to ties with the Yakuza...

Wandy and Nog have always been some of my favorites. I've also been lucky enough to become friends with Josh Barnett. Just hung out with him last week. Great guy and definetely a top 5 heavyweight.

I seen no Griffin and no Lesnar and I was disappointed.

premiumprospects
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people should remember that this is the initial MMA product.

It is not meant to have newer, more under the radar guys, its meant to have the names and faces we all know.

I bet the casual fan has no idea who Fedor Emelianenko is, and why he is important. The average fan doesnt know who Josh Barnett, Wanderlei or even Evan Tanner is, other than the Foxnews reports on his death.

Thats what this product is geared for, the casual fans, so, you had to put more past and present names, than the future names in it, otherwise, it wouldnt sell very well.

Im not saying it wouldnt be nice to have Fedor and guys like him in it, as I would love a Fedor auto, but, look at it from Upper Deck's perspective, they need a market first, and attracting the casual fan along with the hardcore fans is what they want, and will get.

This is the very first sole mma product made, there will be more, probably by february I'd guess, and then is when we should see some cool stuff coming out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HPC
    I think people should remember that this is the initial MMA product.

It is not meant to have newer, more under the radar guys, its meant to have the names and faces we all know.

I bet the casual fan has no idea who Fedor Emelianenko is, and why he is important. The average fan doesnt know who Josh Barnett, Wanderlei or even Evan Tanner is, other than the Foxnews reports on his death.

Thats what this product is geared for, the casual fans, so, you had to put more past and present names, than the future names in it, otherwise, it wouldnt sell very well.

Im not saying it wouldnt be nice to have Fedor and guys like him in it, as I would love a Fedor auto, but, look at it from Upper Deck's perspective, they need a market first, and attracting the casual fan along with the hardcore fans is what they want, and will get.

This is the very first sole mma product made, there will be more, probably by february I'd guess, and then is when we should see some cool stuff coming out

you might have been able to say that a few years ago but that's a pretty big stretch now. there's been more Yahoo stories on Fedor in the past months than anyone with maybe the exception of Rampage (his road rage) or Kimbo. Having Jon "war machine" Koppenhaver and Dustin Hazelet in the set and omitting any of the guys i named is pretty crazy. The common newer fan is going to know a guy like Tanner over Severn since he just fought Kendall Grove a few months ago. Plus Griffin and Lesnar are 2 of the biggest money draws in MMA today so to omit them is pretty huge.