cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Phillies Trade Freddy Galvis and Sign Carlos Santana

Two big deals for them today.

* Freddy Galvis dealt to SD for RHP Enyel de los Santos. (Clears the way for Crawford to be their SS.)

* Carlos Santana signed to a 3 year/$60M deal. (Wonder what this means for Hoskins.)
    Last edited by Jaypers; 12-15-2017 at 01:40 PM.
    J.P.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOVE the Santana signing for most teams, but where does he fit in with a bunch of (hopefully) rising hitters?

No buzz about around here yet, but I guess the Tommy Joseph experience is officially over. Hoskins to LF is the thinking.

And man, I know it's a pop hit, but "Smooth" with the guy from MB20 was a GREAT song!
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2590 View Post
    LOVE the Santana signing for most teams, but where does he fit in with a bunch of (hopefully) rising hitters?

No buzz about around here yet, but I guess the Tommy Joseph experience is officially over. Hoskins to LF is the thinking.

And man, I know it's a pop hit, but "Smooth" with the guy from MB20 was a GREAT song!
    It's a move that requires another move...an outfielder and Cesar Hernandez seem like the start of a decent package for pitching.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoskins to Baltimore for Machado!!! (One can only wonder).

I agree that LF is where Hoskins lands.
    R.I.P. Harmon Clayton Killebrew June 29, 1936-May 17, 2011 You will surely be missed!

Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Do not sleep on the Phillies in the next few years. Looking forward to seeing their squad in the coming years.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone17 View Post
    Hoskins to Baltimore for Machado!!! (One can only wonder).

I agree that LF is where Hoskins lands.
    If Machado had longer control or signed for significantly less than market value...

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carlos Santana has been a highly underrated player these last couple years. He's never hit for a great AVG but he always puts up a high OBP and has been good for a .800+ OPS with 20-35 HR power. His strikeout and walk counts have been nearly identical too. He's put up 3+ WAR in all but one of his full seasons in the majors so he's been worth the $20 mil a year he'll receive from this contract.

I'm assuming they'll be moving Hoskins to the outfield.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see Indians games much, but people are having about his defense. Is that accurate?

I assumed he was a hit, no glove, should be a DH guy...

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Santana was a gold glove finalist this year for whatever it's worth. I'm no a Philly Phan but I think it's a good move for them, veteran player in a young clubhouse, got some thump, not a long deal etc...if they get some more.pitchibg and the arms they have stay healthy and progress could be a real dangerous team some time soon.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2590 View Post
    I don't see Indians games much, but people are having about his defense. Is that accurate?

I assumed he was a hit, no glove, should be a DH guy...
    He actually displayed well above average (borderline gold glove) defense at 1st this year & his defense at 1st has shown marked improvement these last couple seasons. In previous years his defense was pretty shabby & he was never a great defensive catcher. Defensively he should do just fine as the everyday 1st baseman for the Phillies, although I don't really expect him to finish as a gold glove finalist again.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice move by the Phillies. He will fit in nicely at 1B and will be a plus in the clubhouse, which is good, since Galvis is gone. Outfield looks pretty strong for next year. Hernandez likely will be traded for pitching. Go Phillies!!