User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XFL returning

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XFL returning

Vince McMahon, owner and creative head of World Wrestling Entertainment, is preparing a new professional football league.

McMahon started the XFL in 2001, splitting ownership with NBC. The league debuted to massive ratings and hype, with commercials promising a harder hitting brand of football and sexier cheerleaders. But the quality of play suffered greatly from the lack of preparation time for players, as well as the lack of big name players from the NFL or college, led to the league lasting only one season.

The story was broke first by writer Brad Shepard on Twitter. Wrestling writer David Bixenspan later contacted WWE, which confirmed McMahon has established a new corporation called Alpha Entertainment.*

ADVERTISER CONTENT:*Samsung | Originally on AVS Forum

Scared to Mount Your TV? Samsung Has You Covered

Bixenspan also reported McMahon had reacquired trademarks for the XFL shortly after ESPN aired a documentary on the league earlier in 2017. Whether McMahon’s league would be called the XFL is unknown.

The Washington Post*wrote McMahon’s interest in a return to football was fueled by his participation in the ESPN documentary. Despite the league costing NBC and WWE $35 million in 2001, McMahon tried to find another channel for the league after NBC canceled it and only shut the league down after he was unable to find a television deal.

The XFL branded itself as a harder hitting and sexier version of pro football, and the NFL had become less physical. The marketing campaign behind the league’s debut was one of the most hyped in history and included professional wrestlers from WWE.*

The timing of McMahon opening a new league could be due to NFL’s ratings struggles and complaints about the league’s style of play after new rules have restricted how players tackle. The National Anthem protests by players in the NFL have been controversial. Media outlets have differed on if the protests have affected ratings.*

Players and owners were also targeted by President Donald Trump while he was campaigning during the Alabama Senate race. Vince McMahon’s wife Linda, a former WWE president, is a member of President Trump’s cabinet and head of the Small Business Administration.*

VIEW COMMENTS0*

Sponsored Links*

PROMOTED STORIES

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	75461

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This should go well

Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
    This should go well

I think it would go much better the second time around. I’m sure it wouldn’t be very good either, but I don’t think it would be a rush job like the XFL was.

I would be down for it. I quit watching the NFL after the city of St. Louis was f*cked by the league, and ill never watch another NFL game until the city gets another team. If that never happens, then that’s fine too.

I would watch this because I love football.

Trump’s involvement isn’t surprising. Was is the USFL that he partly owned? And he is really good friends with Vince McMahon, and Trump would be able to get any network deal he wanted, I’m sure.

I say go for it, it literally couldn’t be any worse than the XFL was, and we need an alternative to the NFL, because there are sooooo many people sour on the league that would watch it as an alternative.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McMahon is one of the greatest businessmen in sports history so he obviously knows more than I ever could but what's the appeal of lesser football? I'm sure they can push the "we stand for the anthem" angle for a while but I think that whole thing is such a small portion of the NFL issue. I haven't been watching as much this year because 1. The Giants and Raiders are trash. 2. I can't feel good about watching a sport when I know guys are literally killing themselves (with CTE). 3. The game is just too slow with commercials, replays, flags etc. Maybe Vince can control the pace of the game but I also don't wanna watch practice squad games.

Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McMahon is one of the greatest businessmen in sports history so he obviously knows more than I ever could but what's the appeal of lesser football? I'm sure they can push the "we stand for the anthem" angle for a while but I think that whole thing is such a small portion of the NFL issue. I haven't been watching as much this year because 1. The Giants and Raiders are trash. 2. I can't feel good about watching a sport when I know guys are literally killing themselves (with CTE). 3. The game is just too slow with commercials, replays, flags etc. Maybe Vince can control the pace of the game but I also don't wanna watch practice squad games.

I think I’m going to start getting into the AFL. I do have a no-football void in my life, but like I said before I refuse to watch the NFL.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    I think I’m going to start getting into the AFL. I do have a no-football void in my life, but like I said before I refuse to watch the NFL.
    I don't blame u. What the Rams did to st Louis is unconscionable

Senior Member 200lbhockeyplayer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rams should have never been in St. Louis. The only way the NFL screwed St. Louis was allowing the Rams to move there decades ago.

As for the XFL...remove the helmets and pads...and I'll watch. I'm getting tired of helmet first "tackling" in the NFL.
    Hello again.

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if they eliminate replay i'm in.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know you want to watch this!

www.lflus.com

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s another thing to think about.

Vince McMahon grew up in North Carolina, and the Panthers are going to be for sale after this season.

So McMahon’s new Alpha group could be in play to buy the Panthers instead of creating a new league.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    You know you want to watch this!

www.lflus.com
    it was on tv for a few years on MTV2 and I believe the league even had to fold for a season or two. I think they are back now but only streaming their league (no TV deal).

It was okay, but the lingerie was not really skimpy or hot, there were not enough pretty women playing and not enough wardrobe malfunctions.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2. I can't feel good about watching a sport when I know guys are literally killing themselves (with CTE).
    I think an alternate football league could exist if Vince were to market it as a game where the quarterbacks and wide receivers don't wear skirts, WR and DB's get to be a little more aggressive hand checking while going after a pass, and there are fewer commercials in the game.

I think the liability issue with your point #2 will kill the thought of marketing the game as being more aggressive.

If the quality of play is near-NFL (like the upper level of a minor league system), I would be fine with watching that.

EDIT: thought occurred to me why not make Vince's league the minor league of the NFL? Instead of practice squads, let there be just one vince league team affiliated with each NFL team and fill out the 53-man roster and you can bring players up and down as needed due to injuries or performance.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vince sold off 100 mill of stocks recently

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    Vince sold off 100 mill of stocks recently
    which funds his entertainment venture which could involve an alternate football league that is discussed in this thread.

At least if he flops again, it won't hit hard in the pocketbook (since it's money gained from his WWE venture) but it will hit his reputation hard in not being able to have a successful venture outside of scripted reality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast