Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2018.. yes 2018! collection goals

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATES

1. Per usual try to find 3 of my Jeff Cirillo needs
    -Think I found 2 this year. Thereís still time!

2. Submit more to PSA for my Sveum collection and work on a graded Ď87 Topps Brewers team set (get to at least 75%) as I continue to get closer to death while desperately trying to hold on to the memories of my youth
    -Submitted a few from each collection but didnít get close to 75% on the team set

3. Upgrade at least 10 autographs from my all-time Brewers Collection (currently need to upgrade 28 for sure)
    -Goal met here, have a few more to go and need to move on to upgrading a few balls to flats next year

4. Donít start any new projects
    -mostly met? Kinda. Iím bad at this.

5. Stay cigarette free
    -Heck yeah, over one year without a smoke!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progress Update:

1. Find the 6 Jeff Frye cards I need to get to 100% complete on both Beckett and SCF's checklists.
    -- No joy. All 6 continue to elude me. I did add 11 of the 74 IP auto'd base cards I need this year.

2. Decide exactly how I'm going to proceed with my Ozzie Smith and Jeff Bagwell PCs.
    -- I made a decision on the Bagwell collection and I'm in the process of building my checklist. I'm still mulling over what to do about Ozzie.

3. Complete my '80s RC want list.
    -- Hahahahahahaha not even close. If anything I just added more to it as the year went.

4. Complete my '80s Cardinals RC want list
    -- I actually made some headway here. I only need 9 more cards and none of them are hard to find. I might push to finish this one off by the end of the year.

5. Start on my '70s Cardinals RC want list.
    -- I did start on this so there's that I guess. I didn't get much further than grabbing a 1971 Topps Ted Simmons, 1977 Topps Bruce Sutter, and a 1977 Topps Joaquin Andujar though.

6. Complete the 1968 Topps Game set I started this week.
    -- Still a long way to go on this one. I may just decide to shelve it actually. The appeal died for some reason.
    Last edited by WizardofOz1982; 11-22-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grim statement, but you know, I can relate. Also congrats on the smoke free year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer Andy View Post
    UPDATES

2. Submit more to PSA for my Sveum collection and work on a graded ‘87 Topps Brewers team set (get to at least 75%) as I continue to get closer to death while desperately trying to hold on to the memories of my youth

5. Stay cigarette free
    -Heck yeah, over one year without a smoke!

2018 Collecting Goals. I don't think I ever formally set any, but there's only really one goal. Improve the Alomar PC. Which I did. Added a lot of cards. Nothing from the white whale list, but I did get some that I never thought I'd see. Plus a couple that I never knew existed. So it was a good year collection wise. Looking forward to see what 2019 brings...
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
    1) For the HOF manager line-up card collection - Pick up a 3-5 more lineup cards signed by HOF managers including at least one from the "top" of my list (would love to pick up a Stengel Yankees lineup card or an old Connie Mack signed card).

2) For the Jackie Robinson/Integration Collection - Would love to pick up a Jackie Robinson Negro League signed baseball. Also looking to pick up programs/materials related to Jackie's barnstorming tours, and other interesting items that tell the integration story. May look to move an item or two that are pretty cool, but not necessarily the core of my collection.

3) For the Negro League contract collection - Pick up 1-2 more Negro League contracts of either HOF'ers or significant non-HOF players.

4) WWII-baseball collection - Find WWII-baseball items related to Hank Greenberg as well as Bob Feller.

5) Sell off items that are outside of my collecting focus or are "non-essentials." Even within my areas of focus I've definitely picked up some items that are interesting, but not really the sweet spot of my collection.
    1) I was able to pick up some great lineup cards this year. Key ones were:
    -Connie Mack signed 1934 Aís lineup card in which Jimmie Foxx hit a homerun
    - Casey Stengel signed 1955 Yankees lineup card from an exhibition game they played in Hawaii after the season
    - Walter Johnson signed 1933 lineup card
    - Don Sutton final win lineup card

2) picked up a couple of programs from the 1946 Bob Feller All-stars tour. On the tour he ofte faced off with Satchell Paige and teams of players from the Negro Leagues. A bit peripheral but I like finding items relating to barnstorming tours

3) No new Negro league contracts

4) picked up a 1945 Navy All-stars program
    Signed by Musial but was over all pretty quiet on this front

5) sold off a bit but not as much as I would have liked

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

theplasticman
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just excited when I find anything I need for my player collections. I sometimes go months without buying anything.
    COMC listings: theplasticman

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    that honestly would be nice.. I'm too deep to not finish what I started
    "Avoid the clap" - Jimmy Dugan

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started business school full time, so I didn't want to make formal goals when I knew my time would be so divided. However, I did add to the Thomas PC and did enough damage that it should garner a "Top 10" list for the year.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunchOBull View Post
    I started business school full time, so I didn't want to make formal goals when I knew my time would be so divided. However, I did add to the Thomas PC and did enough damage that it should garner a "Top 10" list for the year.
    What did ya get?? I add something (usually small potatoes from COMC) about every other day. No major additions in the past few months, though.
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

rp7001
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    1. Complete 1965-68 and 1970s Yankees team sets ― need 20 cards.
    Only 1 card from these years, didn't make it to many shows.

2. Complete 2001-09 Topps Heritage Yankees team sets ― need 9 cards.
    Down to just 3, 2003 Duncan, 2006 Arod & Randy Johnson

3. Add 52 Paul O'Neill cards to reach the 760 mark of 1060 from Yankee years
    Added a dozen rarer cards including SportzCubz, didn't pursue easier common GU/autos for the sake of numbers

4. Add 12 quality singles to the collection ― autographs, vintage graded, or inserts
    Not quite 12 but added 7-8 cards, including 1/1s. Overall happy with progress here

5. Create custom card set featuring 6 Yankees on Seinfeld
    No progress here, not happy with my older design.

6. Clear out the trade box -- down to around 500 cards remaining
    Some progress, sold maybe 150 or so cards. Down to 300-400. Making a push now to clear out more things.

7. Organize my high-end collection better, store in uniform magnetic holders/bags
    Pretty much done.

8. Continue to sell off accumulated things from around my office, garage and basement
    Did quite well here, sold off random figures/bobbleheads, books, etc. Down to one Bankers Box of stuff left to sell.
    Overall, happy with additions. Focused on quality over quantity, added many SP from recent Topps years and vintage Yankee stars.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticfreak1 View Post
    I would like to get the last 50 or so Brian Johnson (Red Sox) not numbered 1/1 and that will put my unique # up to around 540 for him!
    When I set my goal I had 490 Brian Johnson cards. Now I sit at 554. I got 27 of the non 1/1ís I needed so I still sit at 23 non 1/1ís needed. Goal for this year is to get 8 of them!

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticfreak1 View Post
    When I set my goal I had 490 Brian Johnson cards. Now I sit at 554. I got 27 of the non 1/1’s I needed so I still sit at 23 non 1/1’s needed. Goal for this year is to get 8 of them!

nice! excellent progress
    "Avoid the clap" - Jimmy Dugan

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    What did ya get?? I add something (usually small potatoes from COMC) about every other day. No major additions in the past few months, though.
    Took awhile, but I finished my top 10 list for 2018. Here's the write-up I shared on facebook.

Despite severely reducing my expenditure on cards in 2018, I was able to have a respectable year of pick ups; so much so that I struggled to complete my top 10 list this year. Not pictured today are huge additions to my serial number 35 collection and rainbows I’ve been building since well before 2018, including several one-of-ones, but they didn’t quite make the cut for any number of reasons. In fact, only a single one-of-one made the list, but that’s pretty typical for me. I tend to rank the stuff from my childhood more highly. Surprisingly, my top 3 are all cards I’ve been searching for longer than most; it’s rare that I knock off 3 early cards from my want list in one year.

10. 1998 Hamburger Helper Home Run Heroes Prototype #8
    I found this card on COMC by complete chance. It was miss-listed with hand-cut versions that came from retail packages of Hamburger Helper in the summer of 1998, and while I had once seen a Mike Piazza prototype, I had never run across any other players. I already had several examples of the retail version; a complete unopened box, flattened box, and a few cut copies. Notably, this prototype is printed on white card stock, is sheet cut, has cropping differences on the front image, and differing alignment and copyright information on the reverse.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img491.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	645.0 KB 
ID:	86090

9. 1997 Upper Deck/Bandai Design Your Own Trading Card #27
    I essentially know nothing about this card, other than that it was a Japanese-only promotion. I vaguely recall seeing an image of it in a full color Beckett article, or some other hobby publication, but haven’t found the article yet and may be misremembering. While it’s about as ugly as they come, I couldn’t pass up this crazy oddball piece and look forward to finding out more about its origins and the contest in the future.

Name:	30822181_10104527284936821_3111657938834078630_o.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	390.5 KB 
ID:	86091

8. 2001 Donruss Production Line On-Base % Die Cut #PL-7
    While it’s not the scarcest of early millennium releases, it’s beautiful and was the last die cut I needed to finish my run. Another example recently popped up on eBay just before the new year and had I needed it still, I’d have grabbed it when I saw it pop up…so it would have been in the 2018 collection come hell or high water. I’m thankful to Brandt Spriggs for selling me this copy so that I could put the issue to bed.

Name:	28336379_10104373946448381_8760549389232629551_o.jpg 
Size:	357.8 KB 
ID:	86092

7. 2007 Topps Moments & Milestones Red one-of-one #106-35
    This is a card I’d been searching for since release, and when another collector found it, I was happy to see it and good with the thought of it being in his type collection of cards featuring Frank with rebar; however, when he decided to break up the collection, I was stoked for the chance to own it. Of the three M&M releases featuring Frank, this image is my favorite – followed by the 2008 home run edition with Frank in an A’s uniform – and my love affair with “35” made this the copy to own. Other key reds (500 or other 35s) are claimed in collections already, so this was likely the only chance I had to grab a key red. In my opinion, it’s the “best” red.

Name:	Frank Thomas - 2007 Topps Moments and Milestones 106-35R (F-B).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	304.2 KB 
ID:	86093

6. 1999 UD Choice Starquest Gold #SQ17
    Traditionally, a card from 1999 numbered to 100 wouldn’t be as difficult as the Starquest Gold, but extremely slim odds made unlikely by the gaudy production numbers of Upper Deck’s affordable Choice release made this card a long play pick up for me. While there is currently a copy available on eBay – and the 035/100 copy to boot – it and my copy are the only copies I recall seeing available in the last decade. Unfortunately, the 035/ is horribly priced and appears to be damaged from a lifetime in an acrylic slab.

Name:	33399233_10104577203399821_8067731650445836288_n.jpg 
Size:	460.3 KB 
ID:	86094

5. 1998 Leaf Rookies and Chase (Stars) Standing Ovations SAMPLE #4
    I’ve been attempting to put the ’98 Rookies and Stars samples to rest for ages, and when this tough card popped up for a very reasonable BIN this fall, I couldn’t have pulled the trigger more quickly. I think I love these three samples because of the change in release name which the MLB forced because they claimed “Rookies and Chase” sounded too much like gambling. Let’s be honest, ripping any pack is a form of gambling. I still need one more sample of the three made for Frank, the “Major League Hard Drives” edition.

Name:	img493.jpg 
Size:	729.9 KB 
ID:	86095

4. 1994 Topps Finest Protector Sample
    Several prints of this card have come to market over the course of the last 3 years, but patience paid off and I acquired this copy for a much better price than previous sales. I first saw a protector sample of another player some 15 years ago, and held hope that a Frank existed. Thankfully it does. Now I’m crossing my fingers that refractors exist.

Name:	26733754_10104278719573801_7203183069500187154_n.jpg 
Size:	368.4 KB 
ID:	86096

3. 1991 O-Pee-Chee Pre-Production Sample Sheet
    This was one of my first purchases of 2018, and I knew it would be at the crown of my top 10 list for the year. At the time, I couldn’t imagine acquiring anything that would surpass it on the list, but somehow I found two things. I purchased this sheet sight unseen via friends and family with a complete stranger from Canada. I wasn’t even provided a scan; just the seller’s word that he had one more copy in his collection meant to be cut up and sold individually. Thankfully I saved it from that fate. The wait felt terribly long, but it arrived in a well-protected, timely manner.

Name:	26814816_10104283682268521_3704210517377427958_n.jpg 
Size:	477.6 KB 
ID:	86097

2. 1987 Pan Am Blue with period signature and rare “#36” inscription
    I’d have been happy just to find a copy of this card with a period signature, but have also long searched for a signature on anything that included his Team USA jersey number “36”. The fact that I found the inscription on this particular release made it a more than critical addition to my early auto collection.

Name:	37101500_10104685569338611_382261164609896448_n.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	86098

1. 1992 Donruss Super Diamond Kings #DK-8
    It almost feels clichť to name this card my number one pick up for 2018, but I’m not sure how I can’t. Obviously we all know the magnitude of the card and its scarcity, but what’s most important about this addition for me is that it completes a pair from my earliest of want lists. This card and the 1992 Donruss Elite 00035/10000 example were the pinnacle of acquisitions to me in my youth; at age 35, I can say I have both, and in great condition to boot.

Name:	img488b.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	86099

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BunchOBull - I really enjoyed reading about those 2018 pickups. There are some awesome finds in there.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234